Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then, usually once per ride I hear a noise under the cab section of the vehicle on what appears to be the passenger side. It sounds like something got kicked up and hit the bottom of the truck. I can't for the life of me figure this out. Anyone have any clue what this is? or if it happens to them. I'm stumped. The truck rides and performs perfectly, nothing seems to change when I hear the noise either, except for that 1 clunk every so often. Any clues?

·
Registered
699 Posts
when exactly does it do it? does it do it when you give it lots of gas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when exactly does it do it? does it do it when you give it lots of gas?
Nope. It does it randomly. That's why I can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to do it at any particular time.

·
Registered
621 Posts
My guess is that you have the Vehicle Stability Control System on your truck. Page 229 of the Owner's Manual.

You may hear a sound in the engine compartment for a few seconds when the engine is started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This means that the system is in the self-check mode, but does not indicate a malfunction.

If you think it is something other than this then I would visit your dealer for maintenance but I would bet this is what you are hearing.

Our Town Car, Corvette and the Tundra all have this system and each one has a different little noise that they make when this is happening.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess is that you have the Vehicle Stability Control System on your truck. Page 229 of the Owner's Manual.

You may hear a sound in the engine compartment for a few seconds when the engine is started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This means that the system is in the self-check mode, but does not indicate a malfunction.

If you think it is something other than this then I would visit your dealer for maintenance but I would bet this is what you are hearing.

Our Town Car, Corvette and the Tundra all have this system and each one has a different little noise that they make when this is happening.
I did read that in the manual but wasn't sure. I was wondering if someone was going to suggest this. What type of noise did you hear from your vehicles? does my problem sound similiar to yours? thanks

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't think you have a problem unless it is really loud and happens quite often. I seem to notice it once in awhile. Today I gave the truck a little extra gas when I took off at an intersection. My tires slipped on the crosswalk paint and I heard the noise and noticed the VSC light came on. Are you operating on any type of slick surface once in awhile? The tires slip easily on the crosswalk paint. If you give the truck much gas at all the tires may be slipping and the VSC is activating. Look for that light when you hear the noise.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Small rocks or gravel that get stuck in the treads of your tires? Just a guess.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Every now and then, usually once per ride I hear a noise under the cab section of the vehicle on what appears to be the passenger side. It sounds like something got kicked up and hit the bottom of the truck. I can't for the life of me figure this out. Anyone have any clue what this is? or if it happens to them. I'm stumped. The truck rides and performs perfectly, nothing seems to change when I hear the noise either, except for that 1 clunk every so often. Any clues?
Mine has the same noise. At first I though, gravel or rocks from the tires. But it sounds nothing like that. After further investigation, and paying attention to where I have been.........I decided it's gravel and rocks. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine has the same noise. At first I though, gravel or rocks from the tires. But it sounds nothing like that. After further investigation, and paying attention to where I have been.........I decided it's gravel and rocks. :)

I don't think it's gravel or rocks, I'll have to try to pay more attention. It always seems to catch me off guard though. I'll look for that light to come on too. I'll get back to this tomorrow. thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Huntr, have the same thing going on, seems only to happen when making right turns. And no, fellas, I won't just make left turns from now on!!! :D Same thing, it's always on the passenger side.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I dont know sorry. do you have any more info you could describe to us? It's kind of hard to point out the problem when ya just say clunk a cluck could be anywhee in a truck. (how do you lose a nascar fan? TURN RIGHT!!)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Going out on a limb here, but if the insert on the passenger seatbelt sits between the seat and the pillar just right, it bumps on the plastic pillar and drives me nuts. The insert has to sit so one side of it is touching the pillar and the other touches the seat. Then a right turn or a bump is enough to make it bump into the pillar. I'm too short to reach over and fix it, so it always has to wait until I stop, when of course I forget until the next drive. I need some sort of hook to hold it right.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I know the first post is a few months old now, but it sounds like the OP was talking about an ABS self test that the old tundras (as well as other vehicles) used to do. Everytime you drove the truck, a few feet after you start driving you'd hear a noise, kinda like someone hitting a tin pan or something... but I haven't heard that on my new Tundra yet... do these trucks do that?

·
Registered
2007, SE5, 5.7L 2WD, Silver Sky
86 Posts
I drive on a dirt road every Saturday.. for the next few days after that every once in a while I get a clunk.. like the tire shedding a stone up into the wheel well.

I get two or three shortly after getting up to interstate speeds right after I leave the dirt (stony) road.

you throwing stones?

·
Registered
80 Posts
SORRY.... response to an old post. Looked at the wrong date / time.......

Clunk is the ABS self check (the actuator). Happens at ~12 miles per hour each time the vehicle has been sitting for a while. Usullay coincides with the same time that the doors auto-lock so most don't usually hear it. If you turn off your auto door lock you will hear everytime the truck has been sitting for a while and always at 12-15 MPH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts