Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2011 Rock Warrior and was hoping to get some advice on an issue, if it is an issue.

When accelerating hard there seems to be a weird shift point between either 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. I think it is between 1st and 2nd, but not positive. It will rev way up and then drop to around 3k when changing gears. There is then this strange lack of power that causes a brief deceleration, enough to throw you forward. It picks back up after a second or two, but then has to work to rev up again in the new gear. The other gears seem to be fine, and it primarily occurs when either starting up from a stop or low speed. I just noticed it tonight because I am trying to take it easy on it the first few hundred miles. However, it does it 100% of the time.

Is this normal? It doesn't seem like it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Sounds like you were accelerating hard enough that your tires were losing traction and thus the electronic "nannies" were temporarily reducing engine power to prevent this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Traction control kicking in maybe? Do you notice any lights on your display when this happens?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2010 Tundra CW 4x2 with the 4.6 V8 and I have and am experiencing the same thing as you are experiencing. I am 99 percent sure that it is the shift between 1st and 2nd gear at low speeds because I am taking it easy the first few thousands miles too. I only have 2600 miles on it right now and the shifting problem is still there. That is the only thing I hate about the tundras.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Traction control kicking in maybe? Do you notice any lights on your display when this happens?
That was my first thought. No traction control kicking in, as far as something explicit. It isn't really at a point that it would anyway. It is before second gear kicks in. It's not like it starts to and then slows down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That was my first thought. No traction control kicking in, as far as something explicit. It isn't really at a point that it would anyway. It is before second gear kicks in. It's not like it starts to and then slows down.
if traction control kicks in, you should see a light pop up on your display for a little bit

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it is simly the one two shift you are feeling. When you are driving at very light throttle you can really notice as the truck powers down in between gears. My 07 5.7 has always done it.

Try accelerating a bit harder and see if that helps. Yours sounds a bit more severe than mine as I would describe it more like a leaning out of the power, not a lag.

You may also want to turn off the LSD, just to see if it changes anything. As others have said a lag indicates the CPU cutting power off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but I was hoping it was because of the bigger wheels and tires? I ordered the Hypertech Speedometer and I am going to install it when I get back from my deployment. Im praying that this will fix the issue. You can pick up a Hypertech for just under $200... might be worth trying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it is simly the one two shift you are feeling. When you are driving at very light throttle you can really notice as the truck powers down in between gears. My 07 5.7 has always done it.

Try accelerating a bit harder and see if that helps. Yours sounds a bit more severe than mine as I would describe it more like a leaning out of the power, not a lag.

You may also want to turn off the LSD, just to see if it changes anything. As others have said a lag indicates the CPU cutting power off.
I don't notice it as much when taking it easy, not at all really. It happens when you put the pedal to the floor, and is VERY noticeable. No lights or other indicators that it is a traction control related issue. Truck is 100% stock.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 2010 5.7 and haven't noticed. The only thing I've noticed is if I'm not easy on the gas pedal (from a stop) it'll cause the truck to jerk a bit on start. This is an annoyance especially when I'm having some coffee. I'm by no means complaining of the 5.7 power which I so very much love.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the exact same issue. I was wondering if it had to do with my leveling kit and bigger tires, but it's good to know that it's happening to bone stock Tundra's also. Do you ever experience any hesitation/pulsing when it's trying to shift also? It seems to me like the problem you're having happens to me from 1-2 and then I have hesitation/pulsing from 2-3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
same problem when its cold light pedal no skid high rev 1st 2dn when i don't make a complete stop and 6th is delayed till it warms up. sometimes in stop and go it get confused what gear its in and doesn't bang into gear but i notice it. any ideas is there a safety on the tranny to warm up it holds the gears?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try leaving tow/haul off, and put it in 4 wheel drive. Also leave it in drive. I almost lost a race to a stock 05 f-150 with TC off in 2wd and shifting manually because of this problem. It felt like i lost 300hp for a second at 1st and 2nd shift points

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not to resurrect an old post, but I just got a 2011 CM 5.7 and I'm having the same issue. I've been taking it easy and it seems that light acceleration from a stop gives me a jerky lunging feeling. If I push down a bit harder, it's more noticeable. I hope this goes away after a few thousand miles. Any other new owners experiencing this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2012 DC 4x4 and it does the same thing. When I take it in for the oil change I'm going to ask about it.

It's not nearly as smooth as it should be. Our Accord with 80k on it shifts way smoother.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing happens to me when in my neighborhood. i have to slow down because of bumps and as soon as i get back on it the RPM just goes up and it feels like it doesn't have power. Only happens for like a sec or two. Im guessing its normal because its been doing that for the past 15000 miles that I've owned it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My 2014 does the same thing with one difference. I have a Bullydog tuner. When the tune is not installed, I don't experience the issue. When the tune is installed, I have the issue. Love the tuner because everything else (shifting, throttle response, power) is better than stock. When the tune is installed, if I slowly push the throttle down, the power and acceleration is better than stock with no lag/inconstancies throughout powerband. Yet if I put it right to the floor like all of you, I get the same result. Do all of you have a CAI or anyone with stock intake experience this? Seems like too much air comes in and not enough fuel to compensate for it. Very weird.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Update to my previous post: If I manually disable the "Traction Control System", I do not have the issue. Full power at the stomp of the pedal. No hesitation at all. I contacted BullyDog to see if it was an issue with the tuner, but its not. When you are experiencing the power lag/loss, it is due to the traction control system detecting a slight slip of the wheel. They said this is a common issue with Toyota's, and they are working an update to the tuner files to still allow the TCS to be enabled, but with no hesitation in acceleration like we experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts