Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally have our Detailing forum back. I am so excited. I will try my best to answer your questions about detailing in general and others will chime in as well. There are alot of good "detailers" on this site that will be glad to help out with your questions.

Brandon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Brandon1:
1) What do you charge for detailing?
2) I will soon move to the Charlotte area. How far are you from there?

I have enjoyed reading and learned from your posts. You post quality information and help others, which is what this forum is about.
Thanks for your positive contributions.
RCWebb

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My full service is upwars of $180-200, and that includes everything. I am about 3hrs from charlotte.:(

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, not alot of people doing detailing this time of year huh?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The weather is turning hot in Tampa so its detail time, I got some more aqua wax just did a Civic in white its my daughters, did the same as my Tundra used the Duragloss gives great beading and really lasts.
DSC01673.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That beading is tight!!! I like it, I just put on like 4coats of AW for my trucks trip to the body shop so the paint wont get spotted.:tu:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That beading is tight!!! I like it, I just put on like 4coats of AW for my trucks trip to the body shop so the paint wont get spotted.:tu:
Good idea I just got this car back from the the body shop, it was there since before Christmas it was there three months, I had to clay it with some clay magic blue clay (ten bucks at auto zone and wont get gooey like megs clay when wet) there was rust powder a yellow haze that looked like sulfur, anyway it came right off guess thats the reason they invented that stuff, without it sure would have been hard getting that stuff off.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, must not be detail season yet for many folks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
i just did mine a week ago today- first 55 degree+ day we've had here in central iowa.

used your posted procedure, had to do the scratch x by hand. i couldn't believe the difference the claying made. the scratch x didn't seem to do a whole lot, i realize i'll have to get a machine to do it up right.

of course, my black truck shows the tiniest amounts of dust, so it's due for a wash again.

but my she looks great. we had some very spotty rain (sprinkles, really) and it basically beaded and disappeared off the windshield.

thanks again for that writeup, i think i got my parents turned on to it as well for their vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great job, post some pics of it. As far as scratch-X, it will help with overall gloss and cleaning vs. just waxing the truck, but it wont help much with swirls. You will need a machine.

Power Polish by mothers is also great by hand.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, definatly not getting as much traffic as expected. People are still PMing me instead of posting it here for all to answer and see. I am going to start making each PM a thread.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1000th POST, wOOt;) :D :) :p :eek: :devil: :ts: :tu:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wrightsville Beach, not to far from Brunswick County :D

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, I like brunswick county. pretty country through there.

42gami- yeah, I am. Took 3years, but I got to 1000

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok, finally got some pictures taken of the truck after using brandon's methods about two weeks ago.

since then, it has pretty much rained non-stop, and i was doing some woodworking in the garage, so the truck was a rain-speckled, dust covered mess. and, i took a hunk out of my finger with the table saw during that time ( i can post a pic of that too if you'd like :confused: )

these are after the second washing last night. i also put them in my gallery.

Brandon's methods worked like a charm. unfortunately, i didn't have the power buffer so i had to do that treatment by hand. it was ok, but i'll have to see if i can rent one of those buffers somewhere or something, because there are a few scratches i'd really like to work on.

my only other comment is that i'd recommend getting two Meguiar's Water Magnet towels for drying. it seemed like i could only do about half the truck before i couldn't wring enough water out of the towel to make the second half look decent.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks great! One suggestion though, see how hard it would be to paint the dirty areas of the wheel wells. It really shows a negative contrast against the black paint/tires. Stands out more.

Other than that, it looks fantastic. Buy a PC, you will not regret it and it will pay for itself the first job you use it on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i noticed the wheel wells in the picture myself. i sprayed that extremely wet tire shine in there, it just didn't stay dark for some reason.

i had to do a little touchup on the bar behind the bumper when i bought this truck- it had a light coating of rust on it. i dremelled the rust off, primed and painted it flat black, looks fantastic. might have to see if that would work on the wheel wells.

or, maybe that spray paint you can buy that sets up rubbery- that might last longer with rock chips and what not than straight up paint. hmmm....

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I forgot to mention in the article, the tire shine will not help frames that are red/muddy. This tip is meant for wheel wells/frames that are dirty, not muddy and stained.

Rubberized undercoating will work, but plain old black spray paint and a good primer will work much better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok, second washing after a week of rainstorms. This time i used the Aquawax. I didn't read the bottle fully and waited til the truck dried before Aquawaxing, something i won't recommend. it looks great from about 10-12 feet away, but it left some little bubble-like marks that i needed to buff out with some extra elbow grease.

I also attempted the black spraypaint in the wheel wells- i like the results but i think i need a little bit more.

don't mind my shadow in that pic.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts