Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to start fabricating parts like a bumper for my truck to get the hang of fabin **** so i can 4 link my truck, what is the most common welding process on off road truck fabricating? as far as MIG and TIG goes i know the difference in style but does one have better penetration than the other or stronger welds?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd go with MIG for the kind of stuff you want to do mainly just because of the ease of being able to MIG weld in almost any position. I like TIG for aluminum, but because you have to be able to hold an electrode and a filler rod at the same time it's kind of a pain for something that you can't lay flat on a bench etc.... Just my 2 cents, but with a good 230V MIG system you can do almost any welding job you'd need on your rig.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd go with MIG for the kind of stuff you want to do mainly just because of the ease of being able to MIG weld in almost any position. I like TIG for aluminum, but because you have to be able to hold an electrode and a filler rod at the same time it's kind of a pain for something that you can't lay flat on a bench etc.... Just my 2 cents, but with a good 230V MIG system you can do almost any welding job you'd need on your rig.
thanks for the advice, definitely leaning towards MIG

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
No doubt MIG. Unless you can swing for a high dollar machine that does all MIG, TIG, and stick, then just stick with MIG. Like stated above, get a nice 220 volt brand name machine. I will not want to weld anything on a truck thats not on a flat surface with TIG. To me, TIG is much over-rated, even though it does have its place in certain circumstances.

·
Registered
18 Posts
TIG can produce strong welds in experienced hands and it has a real place in welds that need to be pretty, that being said MIG is the workhorse of the welding world.

·
Registered
690 Posts
delete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts