Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
walked out of home depot last sunday, went to the back of the tundra to open the tailgate, and there it was! someone had backed into me, either there or at the store i was at before. took the truck (06/white/xsp3 package) to the local toy dealer with a body shop. whatever hit me was lower, cause it pushed the bumper up into the right rear quarter panel. (anyways, i'm in work uniform (BMW) and estimater takes a look at truck and asks whats goin on at bmw? a guy from bmw was in the day b4 with identical truck only black and the same damage only on left rear!)
anyways he does his thing. replace bumper and quarter panel(there is a dent all the way up over the middle of the wheelwell)(and the corner behind the bumper corner is folded)paint the quarter panel, and blend the tailgate to the quarter panel. no damage to tailgate btw. total damage is estimated at $2356 if there is no hidden damage to trailer hitch, front of bed or cab(says it might have been pushed into cab). The next day i go to see insurance adjuster. ya right, he adjusts the estimate alright, but some things he said actually made sense. He says replace bumper, and pull out he quarter panel. total cost $1300. he explains that sometimes less is better. if they replace quarter panel that means cutting factory welds and the re-welding. he says welds wont be as good, any corrision protection is lost, and paint wont be as hard. (factory bakes at 400 deg and shop at 200 or so). also sees no need to blend tailgate. he says if this doesn't work they will do the replacement. well back at toy dealers bodyshop. estimater says sure we'll try. if it doesn't work he wastes about 2 days (car rental) and about $500 or $600 worth of labor. now the insurance company is going to pay $3000 for what woulda been $2350! like i told both of them, i just want it back the way it was. i don't care how they do it as long as there is no body fill. i also warned them both that I do final inspections of BMW's at the plant, so I know what i'm looking for when I'm done. does all this sound typical?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Man! I bet you were P.O'ed. People like that need to be removed from the gene pool. I'd have to put my best voodoo curse upon him/her. "May the fleas of a thousand yaks infest your crotch"! One thing, though. They might have a problem getting their vehicle fixed if they failed to file a police report of the accident. Insurance won't pay for it without one if the damage is more than $500.00. That may just be a FL law, though. It's always such an aggravation trying to get the damage repaired the way you want it done. Sorry to hear about your Tundra being hit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in SC gets filed as uninsured motorist with $200 deductible. since it happened in parking lot police do not respond, but did have to file a report for property damage with no police response.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Well I know how you feel. I have a 2006 Tundra Dcab with about 2000 miles on it. The other day while at work another worker comming in to work hit my truck in the front passenger side. He blacked out from his diabetes. Somehow there was no body damage at all but the wheel and all suspension components need to be replaced. They sort of just crumbled, this may be by design though. Luckily there was not frame damage or any other hidden damage once pulled apart. I guess I'm lucky that I at least know who did it.
Good luck getting your truck fixed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Insurance adjusters are the best sales people in the world. They always promise to make it right after the cheap way out doesn't work. They know people get frustrated waiting for thing to happen.

I am working a hail storm in central Ohio, and you wouldn't believe the claim totals I see from adjusters. They'll start out trying to replace one side of 25 year old dented aluminum siding which has faded to a pisss yellow. Then offer to pressure wash the other three sides to match. They'll say, "we'll paint it if it doesn't match" but never offer to put on vinyl siding on all sides.

Most of the time, I'm usually 3x more than the initial adjustment. On top of that, in Ohio, a contractor can collect what is called O/P. Overhead and Profit is paid if a contractor is doing more than 3 trades, such as roofing, siding, and gutters. That pays 10% and 10% over and above the final estimated cost. It's big business, and insurers try to get out as cheap as possible. The worst thing a homeowner can do is try to manage the work themselves, because they are cheating themselves out of thousands of dollars getting dozens of bids that never total what is needed to make their property "right."

My advice - let the body shop determine what is needed, and let the insurer pay the check. Take the vehicle to the best body shop in town. Most of your better shops ARE NOT stealerships. They don't pay top wages, as the larger indepent shops do. The best techs go where the money is.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Pretty much what happened is the body shop explained how to fix it correctly and the insurance company told you how to fix it cheaply. I worked at a body shop and the welds are as good if not stronger. The factory only uses spot welds and the body shops uses the exact same machine or a regular welder which is a larger (Stronger) weld. Corrosion protection is sprayed on everything so that was a lie. (They have weld through corrosion protection). The paint is just as strong so not sure what he means there. A good shop can get it perfect by fixing the bed side as well it just will take more time and bondo.

Now blending the gate is a flip of the coin. Since your truck is fairly new the factory paint probably has not faded much plus there is a line that seperates the 2 panels with a tail light in the way which will through your eye off. You can get away with out blending but be very sure you look at where the 2 panels meet (new painted area and the old painted gate) and make sure they match exactly in the sun light from different angles. Make sure you look up close and from far away so you see everything.

Now this was all based on the shop I worked at which worked on high end vehicles and was expected to do perfect work. I agree that the dealership body shops are not all ways the best place to have it fixed ie: cheaper underpaid labor (you should know if you work for a BMW dealer) I worked at a Toyota dealership as well (and have many friends at the BMW dealership). The worst repair I ever had was at a Toyota Dealer Body shop. The best techs are as said where the money is and that is not a Dealer lot. So look and ask around. You have the choice to take it to any shop you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts