Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a big bumper and might make a full write up with pictures and my experience in building and what I would recommend should anyone want to. It's been a project for sure.

I am trying to decide how to get enough airflow to power steering cooler but how much is "enough"
Is it important to have plenty of airflow for the cooler or is it not a super big deal?

Making mounts is easy enough although I have to figure out how to get enough airflow and what cutouts to make and where.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same question when installing my bumper, I ultimately decided on drilling a few 2 1/4" holes At the bottom of the bumper for a little airflow. Being that it's just a tube and probably isn't aided a whole lot by the rad fan I think it's sufficient. I could be wrong though. My initial plan was to install a tube and fin cooler from a Ford E250, they are small and inexpensive.

Dorman 918-319 Power Steering Cooler for Select Ford Models Amazon.com: Dorman 918-319 Power Steering Cooler for Select Ford Models: Automotive

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably end up doing something like what you've done with the holes. You don't happen to know if that ford cooler has the same hose sizes do you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll probably end up doing something like what you've done with the holes. You don't happen to know if that ford cooler has the same hose sizes do you?
I happen to have an E250 so it was extra convenient. From what I measured with my Harbor freight micrometer the Toyota cooler is right at 1mm bigger.

I'll attach a picture of where I relocated my cooler to also. Just have to flip the mounts around and drill a hole.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that works perfectly, I can make a bracket pretty easily and I'll just turn it vertically and have it face up. Similar to where the tranny? (correct if wrong) cooler is

Thanks man, you've been super helpful

·
Registered
19 Posts
No problem, seemed pretty easy to make it appear oem. I will probably install one in the future. Unfortunately there's a heavy ass bumper in the way now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm seem to have the same problem here

It's not done yet. At all.
It's not fitting up quite right, the way I designed it made sense at the time but now I think I'm going to cut off the mounting plate and redesign it. It still needs grill guard/headlight hoops. Shackles mounts need to be welded. Need to get it coated. And of course. MORE LIGHTBARS! 20 horsepower each!

Unfortunately work is still a thing.
Did you build your own bumper or buy one? Any pictures?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm seem to have the same problem here View attachment 151927

It's not done yet. At all.
It's not fitting up quite right, the way I designed it made sense at the time but now I think I'm going to cut off the mounting plate and redesign it. It still needs grill guard/headlight hoops. Shackles mounts need to be welded. Need to get it coated. And of course. MORE LIGHTBARS! 20 horsepower each!

Unfortunately work is still a thing.
Did you build your own bumper or buy one? Any pictures?
Looks good, I put a Coastal Offroad bumper on mine, if I had the time and ambition building one would have saved me a bunch of money.
7341F1CB-676B-49D5-A8F8-FA4BDB5CBA5C.jpeg
043AA219-6146-4914-9032-D7DB9A00B2D3.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Relocated it with longer hoses.
That's not a terrible idea, I already purchased one from a ford transit that has fins and sticks up but if for any reason it has a problem I'll do that.

Looks good, I put a Coastal Offroad bumper on mine, if I had the time and ambition building one would have saved me a bunch of money. View attachment 152081 View attachment 152082
"It will save me a bunch of money, should only cost a few hundred bucks" is what I told myself... Ya, it wasn't just a few.

It didn't come fully welded? Only in sections? I fully welded mine on both sides which I know is way overkill, mainly did it for the practice welding but there doesn't seem to be a ton of weld surface on yours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's not a terrible idea, I already purchased one from a ford transit that has fins and sticks up but if for any reason it has a problem I'll do that.

"It will save me a bunch of money, should only cost a few hundred bucks" is what I told myself... Ya, it wasn't just a few.

It didn't come fully welded? Only in sections? I fully welded mine on both sides which I know is way overkill, mainly did it for the practice welding but there doesn't seem to be a ton of weld surface on yours.
It ships unassembled as flat pieces unfortunately , I'm in it for close to $1k if I remember right, once the consumables, paint and ancillary things are figured in. It's fully welded on both sides, it's definitely good practice albeit a bit monotonous.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It ships unassembled as flat pieces unfortunately , I'm in it for close to $1k if I remember right, once the consumables, paint and ancillary things are figured in. It's fully welded on both sides, it's definitely good practice albeit a bit monotonous.
Interesting, I haven't gotten a total together yet, after I get coating on it I'll get a total cost together. Not looking forward to seeing it. I know it's more then I wanted to spend.

What paint/coating did you do? I called linex and they said for sandblasting, primer and bedliner around $250-$300 but they weren't for sure because they didn't know the true size of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used VHT epoxy as a primer and truck bed coating over that out of a can, I believe it was Rustoleum. In theory it should allow easy touch ups and hold up well. I don't have the patience or skill to make it smooth enough for just paint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've considered doing it myself but it needs to be sandblasted no matter what and everything I've seen and in my experience LineX holds up better, especially to the sun then other options so I think I'll just stick with it.
I don't usually like the look of plain painted bumpers and lord knows I also don't have the patience for that anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts