Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to use an after market alarm ..since the dealer can not get a glass breakage sensor..and futhermore the after market one seem better..but which one?

which one did you guys put on your truck?
i do want a remote start feature..
clifford?
VIPER?

HELP.

thanks in advance
Lemon

·
Registered
184 Posts
becarful when getting an aftermarket alarm. the new tundra use a CAN system on their electrical system and an aftermarket alarm can damage or not work properly. i prefer the factory alarm. your keyless entry is an alarm even without the glass breakage sensor as it will go off when the door is opened without using the remote or the key. the glass breakage sensor goes off as the window is broken. make sure your dealer turn on the theft deterrent on the customize menu using the new techstream scan tool.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
please explain .. What is a CAN system? O I C

,.. so you think i should just wait till this same idiots at the parts counter , who by the way sold me 2 filters for my 5.7 truck...and they were not the canister types..., gets the sensors...and remote start...

Ok..

thanks
Lemuel

·
Registered
184 Posts
CAN is Control Area Network. there are serveral computer on the truck that control everything from door locks, pwr window to dome light. those computer talk to each other back and forth through the wiring (similar to a two way radio). a car without CAN does not take to each other (similar to a one way radio). if you install the alarm and the aftermarket alarm send the signal to unlock the door without those computer telling it to than it would interfere with the communication. just like when two people using a 2 way radio and there is some static and it you can't hear what the other person is say so it confuse the other person. same with the CAN network. i believe that DEI (maker for viper, clifford and other alarms) is comming out with a CAN interface module which is compatible with CAN system.

·
Registered
595 Posts
CAN is Control Area Network. there are serveral computer on the truck that control everything from door locks, pwr window to dome light. those computer talk to each other back and forth through the wiring (similar to a two way radio). a car without CAN does not take to each other (similar to a one way radio). if you install the alarm and the aftermarket alarm send the signal to unlock the door without those computer telling it to than it would interfere with the communication. just like when two people using a 2 way radio and there is some static and it you can't hear what the other person is say so it confuse the other person. same with the CAN network. i believe that DEI (maker for viper, clifford and other alarms) is comming out with a CAN interface module which is compatible with CAN system.
Thanks for the informative post! I didn't understand the whole CAN thing until now.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
That's cool...great description...:ts: I was going back and forth on this myself.

96T100,
You mentioned the dealer programming the theft deterrent system on the customize menu. How does this differ from the Toyota security system that can be added to the truck (w/o glass breakage sensor)? or is it the same thing, and they are just charging a couple hundred $$ to set it up?

I like the Karr alarm in my 2004 Tacoma that the dealer installed (module), because it allows me to keep my dog in the truck when I go into the gym or the store without him setting off the alarm if he decides to move around a bit in the cab. (I DO NOT leave him in there in hot weather for all of you concerned trolls who like to hijack threads) It has a glass break/bump sensor, but is not overly sensitive...which is a must for my situation. Any thoughts?:ts:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i guess i will wait then for that interface...kuddos on the description...wow i did not know that......

thanks
Lemon

·
Registered
184 Posts
as far as i know all 07 tundra with keyless entry is an alarm only if its turned on with the scan tool. then you can add the glass breakage sensor and a hood switch. you can adjust the glass breakage sensor sensitivity but the dog should not set off the glass breakage sensor as it us a microphone to listen for glass to break.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
as far as i know all 07 tundra with keyless entry is an alarm only if its turned on with the scan tool. then you can add the glass breakage sensor and a hood switch. you can adjust the glass breakage sensor sensitivity but the dog should not set off the glass breakage sensor as it us a microphone to listen for glass to break.
Ahh that's right, I think I was getting a shock sensor and glass-breakage sensor mixed up....so then is the Toyoter security system (basic) a shock system/sensor that's added to the already existing program?

·
Registered
184 Posts
there is only 2 things you can add to the "theft deterrent", glass breakage sensor (microphone) and hood switch. both of them are pre-wired into the harness. you have to have the hood switch if you install the remote start. the theft deterrent can be turned on or off by using the toyota scan tool.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
there is only 2 things you can add to the "theft deterrent", glass breakage sensor (microphone) and hood switch. both of them are pre-wired into the harness. you have to have the hood switch if you install the remote start. the theft deterrent can be turned on or off by using the toyota scan tool.
So then, what does the toyota security system, option give you? (not the hood switch or the glass sensor) it has an MSRP of $220 or so...is that just for a reprogram that takes all of one minute?

·
Registered
184 Posts
So then, what does the toyota security system, option give you? (not the hood switch or the glass sensor) it has an MSRP of $220 or so...is that just for a reprogram that takes all of one minute?
which security option are you talking about? if it says somthing like RS3200 upgrade then its the glass breakage sensor with comes which a computer and a microphone.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
which security option are you talking about? if it says somthing like RS3200 upgrade then its the glass breakage sensor with comes which a computer and a microphone.
That's the one I was talking about. So it does come with a computer module dealybob and a glass breakage sensor...that's cool.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and? how is it working...i had this in my taco...but i wonder if this would interfere witht the CAN system...and did you have to have a key for the remote start....since our keys has those little chips...in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts