Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 5100 adjustables showed up and I started putting them on tonight on my 02 2WD AC. Get the passenger side front off and get the new shock installed in the coil. I am just trying to level the truck out and get new shocks on because I have 116000 on it and figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. I have it set on the second highest setting (these have five settings on them). I have the three top nuts started and the strut hanging in there but do not see for the life of me how I am ever going to get the bottom in. I tried to pry down on the arms, even loosened the sway bar and no luck. Everything I have read says the hardest part of this job is getting the spring compressed, man I got that done with not much problem...its getting these frigging things back on the truck.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
since you already too off the sway bar, remove the lower ball joints. it's just 4 14mm bolts and they come right off and you will have tons of room.

·
2,444 Posts
Well mine is 4WD so not sure if it is the same setup but I had the same problem. I removed the sway bar end link bolts and the lower control arm/ball joint attachment to the spindle... those four bolts. I did have to use a hydraulic jack to lift the lower arm back into place. So just be careful doing that but it went pretty easy. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I now remember reading that!! I was so frustrated last night I did,nt know weather to hammer on something or wind my watch. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it comes out.

For what it's worth, the first thing I always do is put the tire I just took off under the vehicle, just as a precaution. The safety meeting is now concluded.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had same problem on my 02 tundra. What I did was disconnect the sway bar and then put the wheel back on. Then have a friend or in my case my wife stand or sit on the top of the tire. Worked like a charm.

Aaron

·
2,444 Posts
Thanks, I now remember reading that!! I was so frustrated last night I did,nt know weather to hammer on something or wind my watch. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it comes out.
I was there... totally frustrated and then I did exactly what you did. Looked up on TS for a solution. This site is great.:tu:

For what it's worth, the first thing I always do is put the tire I just took off under the vehicle, just as a precaution. The safety meeting is now concluded.
What, the jack stand on it's highest setting and hydraulic jack combo didn't look safe?:eek::D I don't think I have ever put a tire under the vehicle but that is a really good idea. Thanks.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The four bolts on the lower control arm, along with sway bar trick was the ticket :tu: Like I said, I set them on the second to the highest setting and it ended up looking pretty dang level. If anything it's a little higher in the front but not too much if any at all. Some of the members say it will settle a little and some say no...we'll see!! Will be getting the "DJ" alignment tomorrow and I should be good to go.

Anyway, thanks for the help, glad you guys are out there!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the alignment done this morning. Man, this thing has not driven like this for some time. Next is the rack and sway bar bushings. Prob should have done it when I was under there, but that would have made too much sence. Besides, who just doesn't just love crawling around on the garage floor??:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts