Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello. I'm brand new to this. Therefore, if this has already been posted before, I appologize. I don't know if there are "archives" where I can view previously posted information on this particular issue.

I just got an incredible deal on a 2001 Sequoia. But the people who had it before me didn't do anything to it to customize it.

I'd like to know if I can put 265/75 R16 tires without lift kit. If I try, will the tires rub, will it affect any of the features in a negative way, such as the vsc feature or others.

Will there be more probability of a roll-over since it'll be higher off the ground.
This is what would worry me the most.

Any replies would be greatly appreaciated.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
hmoreno said:
First of all, hello. I'm brand new to this. Therefore, if this has already been posted before, I appologize. I don't know if there are "archives" where I can view previously posted information on this particular issue.

I just got an incredible deal on a 2001 Sequoia. But the people who had it before me didn't do anything to it to customize it.

I'd like to know if I can put 265/75 R16 tires without lift kit. If I try, will the tires rub, will it affect any of the features in a negative way, such as the vsc feature or others.

Will there be more probability of a roll-over since it'll be higher off the ground.
This is what would worry me the most.

Any replies would be greatly appreaciated.

Hey welcome to TS! Always a pleasure to see new sequoia owners. The largest tire you can fit is the 265/75/16. That is what comes on Sequoias now stock except they are 265/75/17. Hope this helps - Brendon ;)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ademadude1960 said:
. That is what comes on Sequoias now stock except they are 265/75/17. Hope this helps - Brendon ;)
That is incorrect!
The SR5 2wd comes standard with 245/70/16, the 4wd comes standard with 265/70/16. There is an option for 265/65/17's
The Limited comes standard with 265/65/17's.

The 265/65/17's and the 265/70/16's are roughly 30.5 inches in diameter. I think you can safely go up to roughly a 31.5 inch diameter wheel on a stock Sequoia without any rubbing - that would include the 265/70/17's and the 265/75/16's.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
czechm8 said:
That is incorrect!
The SR5 2wd comes standard with 245/70/16, the 4wd comes standard with 265/70/16. There is an option for 265/65/17's
The Limited comes standard with 265/65/17's.

The 265/65/17's and the 265/70/16's are roughly 30.5 inches in diameter. I think you can safely go up to roughly a 31.5 inch diameter wheel on a stock Sequoia without any rubbing - that would include the 265/70/17's and the 265/75/16's.
Oh your right! I stand corrected! I'm sorry i thought that was right, when i got mine it came stock with the 265/65/17's, but yea you should be able to fit the 265/75/16

·
Registered
387 Posts
There's one additional size...

I put 275/70R16 REVO's on my 4WD Sequoia right after I bought it. IMO it's the best size to go with, as it sits a little wider than stock but does not throw the spedo off as much as a 265/75/R16 tire. No rubbing whatsoever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zebra1550 said:
I put 275/70R16 REVO's on my 4WD Sequoia right after I bought it. IMO it's the best size to go with, as it sits a little wider than stock but does not throw the spedo off as much as a 265/75/R16 tire. No rubbing whatsoever.
Hey, I have a question about your comment. Do the 275/70 R16 also sit higher than the 265/70 R16?

I really don't like how the stock tires appear to be so small for such big wheel wells. Especially the rear one.

If the 275 is actually taller than the 265, I'll probably go with that one, as I like the idea of wider tires for additional safety. However, here's another question. How would such a wide tire do in snowy or icy conditions

Writing from Nebraska where anything goes!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
The 275/70R16 is 10mm wider than the 26570R16 and also slightly taller, although not as tall as the 256/75R16. I have run my 275 REVO's through the snow and ice and they performed awesome. No complaints at all with the size or tires. The 275's fill the wheel well just enough that the tires look like they belong on the truck, and they also give the truck a beefier stance when looking at it from the front or back. The stock 265/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler HT's that come on the truck looked tiny. I think I have a picture of my Sequoia under my gallery, although it's always hard to get a good tire shot. The tires on my sequoia in the pics are the 275 REVO's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zebra1550 said:
The 275/70R16 is 10mm wider than the 26570R16 and also slightly taller, although not as tall as the 256/75R16. I have run my 275 REVO's through the snow and ice and they performed awesome. No complaints at all with the size or tires. The 275's fill the wheel well just enough that the tires look like they belong on the truck, and they also give the truck a beefier stance when looking at it from the front or back. The stock 265/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler HT's that come on the truck looked tiny. I think I have a picture of my Sequoia under my gallery, although it's always hard to get a good tire shot. The tires on my sequoia in the pics are the 275 REVO's.

You know what? Thank you. I like this idea even better. I think that this is what I'm going to do.

BTW, how I can I see a pic of your SEQ?

P.S. How's the weather in Omaha?, I'm in Lexington.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
hmoreno said:
You know what? Thank you. I like this idea even better. I think that this is what I'm going to do.

BTW, how I can I see a pic of your SEQ?

P.S. How's the weather in Omaha?, I'm in Lexington.
I used to know some folks from Lexington. Spent some time on Johnson lake too years ago.
I grew up in Schuyler, NE.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Omaha weather is pretty good right now. If you click on zebra1550 above my avatar, you'll see a drop down screen with photo gallery. the picture is under there, although I took it at night so you can't see the tires that well. I'll try to run out and get a daytime shot this weekend.

czechm8....the next time I'm near Des Moines I'm going to look you up so I can hear your exhaust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zebra1550 said:
Omaha weather is pretty good right now. If you click on zebra1550 above my avatar, you'll see a drop down screen with photo gallery. the picture is under there, although I took it at night so you can't see the tires that well. I'll try to run out and get a daytime shot this weekend.

Zebra, I saw your picture. I do like the size of those tires. It'd be cool to see a front and side view of the tires. But I can tell by the size that at least they look they belong on the truck.

That's what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
zebra1550 said:

czechm8....the next time I'm near Des Moines I'm going to look you up so I can hear your exhaust.
Sure, no problem. I really like it. I'm still amazed at how deep and low the exhaust sounds with the Magnaflow. I get some droning around the 1500-2000 rpm range, but I kind of like it. My wife thinks its too loud, but she is used to driving her silky quiet Acura TL. I think it sounds just like a truck should sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks im getting a lot of good info. Trying to do a tire and rim upgrade on my 2013 Sequioa without lifting it. Want a slight wheel offset with the maximum height.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts