Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked up several threads related to clearcoat failure on the TRD wheels but these marks don't seem to be the same since they are not bubbling and peeling. These marks are little white lines that seem to be underneath the clearcoat (not scratches on top) of the machined face. Oddly, my PS rear tire seems to me much worse than any of the other wheels. I wash my Tundra frequently (11000 miles now) and only use Meguiars Gold Class car wash on the wheels and have even waxed them. None of my wheels have curb rash either. Does anyone else have similar marks on their wheels?

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
ever been off road into deep mud with rocks? dont ask me how i know this but if you happen to bury the wheels into it, the sand/dirt/small rocks will scrape the heck out of the face of the wheel....

it doesnt really look like that could be your case though...as it seems to be happening around the lug nut in one of those pics...oh u are in CC, do you drive along the beach by chance? looks like it could be corrosion and perhaps salty air/sand/water or something seeping through any microscopic spots in the clearcoat and working its way across...i'd get a dealer to look at it and complain complain complain till they get refinished...mine are refinished by a wheel repair company and my shine is better than stock and i believe the finish is better too..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, never had any of the wheels buried up to any part of the rim nor have I even been to the beach in my truck (that's what the old K5 is for). Yes, there are also marks around some of the lugnut holes. Like I said, I've been meticulous about this truck since new so I don't know what it could be. I don't even spray tire gloss on; I use a sponge and apply it manually!

Thanks,

Wes

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
That certainly appears to be a clear coat failure. It looks a lot different than what I have here in the land of road salt, but it is in the same locations.

·
Preferred Dealer
117 Posts
Your clear coat looks like there were some inconsistencies and is starting to vein into the rest of the wheel along the weakest path of resistance (strong bond parts). I've seen it happen to alot of wheels that are spot polished.... some sections of the wheel face may be clear coated and others might not to provide contrast just like the ridge along the cracking of your clear coat. Especially on leading edges where road debris may have nicked the spokes which runs consistent with the fact that your rear tires are experiencing more issues.

Unfortunately these things are common pending on the wheels wear and tear, age, and weather. Sea water or extreme temperature changes tend to expose the weaknesses quicker. How long have you had the wheels? you may be able to talk to the dealership to service your wheels if they are relatively new wheels or dealership has good customer service.

Good Luck and sorry to hear about your misfortune but atleast the rest of the truck is pure awesomeness in the form of the TRD Package.

-Tom

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Agree -- these are dynamic stryrations resulting from irregulatities in the foundation that naturally hyperextended into the surface layer. The continual existence of fine corrosive particulate matter in the area will only worsen its appearance over time.

good luck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long have you had the wheels? you may be able to talk to the dealership to service your wheels if they are relatively new wheels or dealership has good customer service.
I've owned my truck since new and it only has 11,000 miles! Like I said, I take meticulous care of my truck and am very careful with it. I suppose I'll bring it to the dealer's attention and I'm sure it's going to be a fight.

-Wes

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree -- these are dynamic stryrations resulting from irregulatities in the foundation that naturally hyperextended into the surface layer. The continual existence of fine corrosive particulate matter in the area will only worsen its appearance over time.

good luck.
Okay, okay, okay....I see we've got a bunch of scientists here! :D

-Wes

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
yeah,, they should warranty those.. not the first time ive seen it... toyota wheels all have that issue, esp up here in the salty Northeast!!!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
why does everyone automatically think everything that is wrong with your car is going to be a fight? its a clear coat flaw.. not uncommon...

I'll tell you right now,, if I got a dick-headed customer talking to me like a tool,, the amount of care I will give is none... But somebody who is nice and respectful.. I go over and beyond...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why does everyone automatically think everything that is wrong with your car is going to be a fight? its a clear coat flaw.. not uncommon...

I'll tell you right now,, if I got a dick-headed customer talking to me like a tool,, the amount of care I will give is none... But somebody who is nice and respectful.. I go over and beyond...
I always make it a point to be nice and respectful but, given some of the stories on here, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer makes accusations as to what I did to damage my wheels. I've actually had pretty good luck with my dealer so hopefully it will stay civil.

-Wes

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
most on here get worked up for nothing.... but I see no reason to worry,,, even if they give an issue,, just call toyota.. its not uncommon.. the other picture somebody posted is what the wheels up here look like in a few years,, I actually have been keeping my steels for that reason..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's an update: I made it by my dealer today and it was a pleasant experience. The service rep took a walk around my truck with me and I pointed out several nitpicky warranty issues I was having along with the wheels and he said "no problem". I was wondering what he meant by that and he said they were going to fix everything free of charge. I then asked what they planned on doing with the wheels (i.e. refinish or replace the one that was the worst) and he said that he was going to order them and replace all four wheels!

-Wes

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Glad you were able to get it resolved. That dealer sounds like a keeper!!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Here's an update: I made it by my dealer today and it was a pleasant experience. The service rep took a walk around my truck with me and I pointed out several nitpicky warranty issues I was having along with the wheels and he said "no problem". I was wondering what he meant by that and he said they were going to fix everything free of charge. I then asked what they planned on doing with the wheels (i.e. refinish or replace the one that was the worst) and he said that he was going to order them and replace all four wheels!

-Wes
nice!!! see, no reason to get worked up... i'm thrilled for you!! you want to make some friends,, bring in some donuts!! lol,, we always remember those customers who feed us.. lol:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
First, KP congrats. Nice truck.:D 2nd: SALSA MAX what have you been drinking ??? or smoking?:eek:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got my new wheels installed on Thursday! I was pretty impressed by the way my dealer handled the whole ordeal because it really was pretty nitpicky. Time to get a coat of wax on them now! A pic:

I also had them replace a trim panel on the dash and they were nice enough to leave this tool in my truck for me! :D :

-Wes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clear Coat Failure // Customer Service

This will probably draw some negative press, but I'm going to consider it my civic duty to share my Toyota experience. We currently have 3 Toyota SUV's and Trucks, and have had many more in my family going back to the '80s. Generally fantastic built vehicles. Nothing's perfect, but they are at the top of the game. I applaud the manufacturing plants and designers. Once it leaves there, my impression is not so great.

My latest example is my 2013 Tundra, which is virtually flawless other than...it has experienced this well publicized clear coat failure on the wheels. I noticed it a little bit early on I noticed the beginning of this, but didn't realize what it was. As time passed it got worse. Finally I tried hard to clean it and eventually realized...wow the clear coat is just failing. I've had a lot of cars with aluminum wheels and this is so premature it's not funny. Look on the internet and it's apparently a well known week spot for Toyota. No problem, no ones perfect. By the time I really realize this and find the time to do something with this, admittedly I am 6 months out of warranty.

It gets weird when calling the company. Call Toyota and they more or less tell you to call the dealer. I say, I don't want to deal with my dealer because I get bad service there, but Toyota says, we at least need their input on the condition. No sweat, so I agree to take it there and the dealer agrees to simply feed to Toyota what they saw with pictures. Instead the dealer clearly doesn't want me talking to Toyota so they explain to me this is not a product failure, but just the result of rocks and stuff hitting it. There is no dings/scrapes in my wheels anywhere so I ask the scientist how he can prove that. Rather I say never mind, you were supposed to just send your input to Toyota and I will talk to them. "We did....the rep is standing right here next to me". "Great, put him on the phone". Long story short that just got real stupid, as they put another person from the dealer on the phone who represented himself as the Toyota rep and finally conceded that he was a dealership employee.

No problem....back to Toyota. "Okay, we'll file your case and get back". 2 weeks, call 'em back "well?" "Oh, you have to talk to your dealer for stuff like that". "but last time you guys agreed I could talk to you if I got the pix" "oh, I see, let me submit the following things to our system and we'll get back to you tomorrow". 2 weeks "what's up?" "oh shoot, I guess we didn't put it through - I'll bypass the system and put it right through" 2 weeks "what's up?" "Sorry, what was the problem again?" 2 weeks "I just figured it out, we have to file this like XYZ". 2 weeks "what's up?" "oh, shoot I just realized this is past warranty" "right, I told you guys that the first and every time I've called...I am appealing to you for good will based on this being a chronic problem - I understand you have the right to decline, but I need an answer". "Okay, first you have to go to the dealer" "what....?!?!?! have you read all the notes?" "Oh, yeah, right, let me file this this way, and we'll get back to you tomorrow" 2 weeks "hello, what's up?" "Shoot my manager kicked it over here". On on, on. I guess it was 3.5 months.

I didn't really care that much about the wheels. I am generally very impressed by Toyota design/manufacturing. I am very unimpressed by the customer service of both the dealerships and the company itself. They do not seem to take responsibility for issues very well, nor provide good customer service. Could just be my experience, but there's plenty of evidence of chronic problems out their they don't seem to own. I have a 4th car and the customer service at the company (not so much dealer) is phenomenal.

Sorry OP if I hijacked your thread. Just sharing my experience as due diligence. I do see that the OP's experience was vastly better than mine. Will I buy another Toyota....maybe. Will their responsibility and customer service play a factor....yes. Fortunately for them, the vehicles really are super fine, and they can think the designers and manufacturers for that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts