Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you may find this odd, but there are no real good active Celica forums so I thought I may try here. I have a very nice old '85 Celica GT with 79K original miles and its time to replace the clutch that is starting to slip. So my question to all the 22RE truck owners is....what are you guys using as an OE replacement? I'm not looking for a hi-po clutch. here are a couple options I have dug up....

-A straight Napa clutch kit
-A Daikin clutch kit looks like its made by/with Exedy
-An Aisin clutch but it is disc only, so I would have to find plate/bearings from elsewhere

So help me out here 22RE owners, which is the way to go?? Any opinions? The only nugget that I have found is that guys that go with the Aisin disc say they have a nice light pedal like stock. Thanks in advance.

--Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used RAM brand clutches in a few 22R trucks over the years with oversized tires without any issues. Pretty much a stock replacement, never noticed any difference in pedal pressure. I put a NAPA clutch in a 86 4 runner I had and it slipped under any kind of extreme load from day one. But I've got another NAPA clutch in my 89 that was installed by my brother in law right before I got that truck that's fine. Even holds up to snow plowing abuse just fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I personally used an OEM Toyota clutch disk and pressure plate on my offroad truck.. Haven't had any problems or slippage.. Even with 36" tires and lockers.

Been working great for 18 months!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts