Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you tow with your 2007-2010 Tundra? I'm trying to get a feel for what size travel trailers others are pulling.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Coast to coast and through the mountains with a 28ft Jayco, weighing about 5000lb. Don't even know its behind you, nor have I needed an equalizer hitch or anti sway bars.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
26' Springdale weighs about 5000 lbs. I can't even tell its back there, tows great. If I would have known my Tundra pulled that easy I would of have gotten a trailer that had more options, like a slide out. I also frequently pull a 16' car trailer with a heavily modified Jeep TJ that weighs in at a little more than 6000lbs. Tows the same as my TT. I really enjoy towing with my Tundra.

Mark

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
25' KZ Jag fifth wheel, weighing in at 6250 dry and 1250 pin. Mostly loaded for camping it weighs 7500/1250. Tundra does a fine job with the load, and we even put the atv's behind it on a little flaltbed and no problems.

OP......Are you still unsure of going the 3/4 ton route or something? I thought you said that was the way you were going?

I think you've already seen a pic of my setup, but i'll show you my dad's. It's a 28' KZ durango weighing in at 9000+, and his GCWR is about 15500. Just so you know, he's had 3/4 ton trucks his whole life and he's tickled pink with the tundra.

Still unsure which way you're going to go? Find somebody in your area that's willing to go for a test tow before you take the plunge.

Here's the pic:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tow a 24' Skipjack Pilot house on a tandem axle galvenized trailer. The whole thing weighs about 7,100 pounds. Tows great.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I tow a Jayco Jayflight G2 31RKS. 33' 8" bumper to hitch. 8000-8500 lbs loaded. Tundra pulled it all over the western US last summer with no problem. The 5.7 is a beast that has no problem pulling grades or bucking headwinds. Love it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pulling a 29' Keystone Cougar TT (34.5" Hitch to bumper, ~7,200 pounds dry). Tundra pulls it with ease --- including up reasonable grade. 850 lb tongue weight...but with my Firestone Ride-Rites, about 12 pumps from a hand pump and the bags have me back to level (I consider the bags a definite bonus for big loads).:) Oh, and just completed the swap of my limited mirrors for the tow mirrors (can you say "no more flimsy strap-on mirrors"). Took :30 minutes per side...well worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pulling a 24 foot 2009 Nash 22H with our 2010 DC 4WD 4.6L. Trailer weighs 4840 dry and right at 6000 lbs fully loaded and full water/propane. The 4.6 pulls this load very well, probably not as well as a 5.7 would but really I run the hills with this truck stronger than my brothers ford 5.4 and better than my previous chev 5.3. I usually run 60 mph in 4th/5th with little strain and pull 7% grades in 3rd at 50 - 55 with no issues at all, trans and engine temps seem to remain stable. Hitch weight is right at 750 lbs. I use an equal-i-zer brand 1000 lb hitch set up and air bags. This truck and trailer set-up is rock solid, no sway and handling is fine. Currently I am using the stock michelins and factory shocks, which are working well. I intend to upgrade tires and shocks when they wear out, but I'm in no hurry here.

·
Registered
588 Posts
22' Attitude Toy hauler 6k empty loaded between 8500 & 9500, depending on toys and load. Air bags and e range BFGs'.
I know its back there, but no worries. Temps rarely move even on grades. 5k 21 ft deck boat- absolutley no problem. Don't let the 3/4 ton PD worry you!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. I'm still a little undecided on 3/4 ton or just a smaller trailer. We'll see Friday a) if we like the 3/4 ton or b) find a little lighter trailer with a floorplan that will work. I think a 7700 dry trailer with a 1,000 lb tongue is a little more than I want on a Tundra (although I'm sure it would do it no problem).

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
I've answered on another thread, but for refreshers: here's a picture :D (at the hunting campsite) (note: 2 Tundras)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tundra is 07 Double/5.7L V8. I tow my 2000 LB tandem axle car trailer (prodigy brake controller) and my 1990 Nissan Twin Turbo (about 3500 LB). About 5500 LBS in total.

Pic below is a trip to Deals Gaps (Tail of the Dragon/Fontana, NC). Truck had plenty of power up and down the mountains.

Couple pics of the car for those interested...47K miles 375RWHP/425TQ.

·
Banned
444 Posts
28' Fifth wheel, 9700lbs, And have pulled a buddy of mines 36' fifth wheel 12990lbs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's mine pulling a 24' Collins 5th Wheel. I also tow a 12 foot trailer with my Hayabusa sand rail behind the fifth wheel. Don't even know it's there.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I´m towing this

Using a 4 horse trailer from 4star trailers

With this... Supercharged Crewmax

1 - 20 of 33 Posts