Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna replace the brakes soon but was wondering what brand and type of pads came stock with the 03 Sequoia's.

Did some searching but didnt find an answer. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The 03' has the bigger caliper, so there should just be one Toyota part number that you can get. I'm not sure if you're asking what brand Toyota uses, but it only has a Toyota number on it you can get from the parts counter. There is however a TRD front brake pad option you can order from trdparts4u.com or ebay or elsewhere that is a carbon/kevlar pad. There is also a Big Brake upgrade kit ($2500+) that had different lightweigt TRD calipers, and slotted rotors. If you want aftermarket, I would recommend Akebono, Raybestos or EBC...but Toyota makes a good long lasting pad. You can do a brake search on the Tundra forum, and there is some great information for your reference. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 03' has the bigger caliper, so there should just be one Toyota part number that you can get. I'm not sure if you're asking what brand Toyota uses, but it only has a Toyota number on it you can get from the parts counter. There is however a TRD front brake pad option you can order from trdparts4u.com or ebay or elsewhere that is a carbon/kevlar pad. There is also a Big Brake upgrade kit ($2500+) that had different lightweigt TRD calipers, and slotted rotors. If you want aftermarket, I would recommend Akebono, Raybestos or EBC...but Toyota makes a good long lasting pad. You can do a brake search on the Tundra forum, and there is some great information for your reference. Good luck!
yes, looking for the brand that Toyota uses. also, what type: ceramic, semi-metallic, etc?

need to find out the brand and type so i can see if i can get it cheaper somewhere other than the dealer.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, there is no name brand that Toyota gets their pads from... that I know of. You either purchase Toyota brand, or aftermarket. I've never read anything anywhere stating that someone specific makes Toyota's pads. It could come from a large manufacturer, but could have a specific compound only found in that pad??. Someone please chime in if they've heard otherwise. The stock Toyota pads on my Sequoia were a semi-metallic if I remember correctly (and lasted 50k miles). MEVang has much more detail in the brake forum posts from the past, and you may be able to search some of his great info (pros/cons recommendations). There are many options, and some may not be worth the extra money. My recommendation for great bang for the buck is to call or email Toyota of Dallas, and order a set of the Toyota TRD pads #PTR09-89061 which are Kevlar & Ceramic compound...and about $90 for the set and come with the proper anti-squeal shims. I'm sure you can get all kinds of recommendations, so make sure you do your research and choose what is right for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts