Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 DC Tundra 4wd. The problem I'm about to describe has only occured about 4 or 5 times so far, but it happened yesterday which is why I'm posting this dilemma. When starting my truck yesterday, it took about five or six seconds to start. The motor was turning over trying to start. Like I said, it's done this just a handful of times since I bought it in Nov 04. The first thing that comes to mind is the automatic fuel leak check. The manual states that you may hear a humming noice several hours after you shut the engine off as the system is checking for fuel leaks, etc. If you try and start it while it is performing this check, will it be somewhat difficult to start? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I really don't think it's bad fuel because it only does it once in a blue moon. My air filter is spotless, etc. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'd usually say it's something to do with fuel pressure or delivery.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
my 04' did this everytime i left it overnight on an incline and it was cold out.... not sure what it is but it started doing it within the first 1,000 miles and countined until it was totaled at 75,000 miles....

·
Registered
910 Posts
There is a check valve in the fuel pump that keeps the fuel from running back into the tank. If this valve is defective, the fuel line will empty into the tank and the pump will have to prime on start, delaying the actual start. Use a fuel pressure gauge at the rail to verify this condition. Pressure in the system should maintain for hours after shutdown. A certain amount of bleed-down is allowed, but not much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts