Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Supportive Supporter
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and a half ago my Tundra died on the way to work. It seemed bad enuf at the time to retire it. 335,000 miles on the original drive train. I started looking at it today just for fun. It still starts pretty easily. Barely idles.....will not rev. No MIL light. My Autel tester shows cylinders 1, 3, 5, & 7 miss-firing but not enuf to throw a MIL. These are all on the drivers side of the engine....the same head. There is no oil in the water or water in the oil. I haven't done a compression check yet....What could cause one side of the engine to miss-fire?
Thanks in advance.

Ray

·
Registered
257 Posts
While your tinkering swap the coils from 1,3,5,7 with 2,4,6,8 and see what you come up with. I am assuming you have checked the spark plugs? If the miss shifted to the other side of the engine replace the coils. With that mileage I would replace all 8 and might include a new set of plugs. But don't just replace anything without trying this suggestion first. If the miss remains on 1,3,5,7 then the culprit is is before the coils, maybe the plug wires.
We all have a shelf of parts we bought out of impulse waiting for the vehicle to need them, maybe later... Keep us posted... Chap

·
Supportive Supporter
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While your tinkering swap the coils from 1,3,5,7 with 2,4,6,8 and see what you come up with. I am assuming you have checked the spark plugs? If the miss shifted to the other side of the engine replace the coils. With that mileage I would replace all 8 and might include a new set of plugs. But don't just replace anything without trying this suggestion first. If the miss remains on 1,3,5,7 then the culprit is is before the coils, maybe the plug wires.
We all have a shelf of parts we bought out of impulse waiting for the vehicle to need them, maybe later... Keep us posted... Chap
Thanks, that's a good idea. Hopefully next weekend I can do that and a compression check.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It’s all 4 on the same side so i would be looking for a common ground to either the injectors on that side or the coil packs on that side. I can’t imagine it would be a fuel rail issue so I would look for a bad or cut ground wire on that side somewhere. Test for spark. If you’re getting spark, it should be a fuel issue. No spark, it is probably a wiring issue for the coil packs.

Has it has it’s timing belt replaced? It’s possible it could’ve jumped time on the drivers side cam. That’ll cause that entire side to misfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts