Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, noob here checking in to see if you can help diagnose the problem with my Tundra.

I have an '02 with about 100,000 miles.

This morning I made a right turn and heard a loud pop and my truck dropped on the left side. It still drives, but the left wheel well is right on top of the tire. The right side isn't as bad but also seems lower.

I realize that I really need to get to a mechanic to look at it, but I want to see if I can get an idea what's going on before I drive around. Any ideas?

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Balljoints?

·
Registered
89 Posts
1. Ball joint
2. Shock mount

I strongly suggest you do not drive that vehicle anywhere in that condition.
I second this advice. Call a tow truck. If you don't have AAA then get someone who does to be there with you when the tow truck arrives and you won't be charged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... I was afraid of that... what do you think is the worst that could happen if I drive it? I do have AAA, but I don't have a regular mechanic and if I have it towed somewhere I'm pretty much captive to whatever they quote...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Balljoint recall ever done?

Take it to the dealer, its a free recall they MUST do.

Its not drivable, the wheel could fall off.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
Hmm... I was afraid of that... what do you think is the worst that could happen if I drive it? I do have AAA, but I don't have a regular mechanic and if I have it towed somewhere I'm pretty much captive to whatever they quote...
This is a critical suspension component failure. You're looking at loss of steering control and additional damage from disconnected assemblies moving around under there.

Q: Do you have aftermarket lift components installed? Which ones?

In regards to repair, unless you have a history with an independent mechanic, you're just gambling.

You're in OC. Have it towed to Tustin Toyota. Ask for Glen Kashima. He's the service manager and an all-around great guy. Tell him Duffy referred you in for help. As was mentioned before, there was a recall for failing lower ball joints. You might be able to get some help if that is the causative part.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, don't drive it, for safty.
you should be able to look under at the shocks & balljoints. the top shock mount might be under the hood. so you might be able to see if that is the problem by opening the hood. be careful. i'd hate for you to go under the truck & it completely drop trapping you under there. if you look, take a jack, and just jack it up enough to hold it, do not lift the tundra at all. it is there just in case.
to bad you don't live near me, i have family & a friend that are master ase mechanics. but not toyota. but that doesn't matter in your case. i would do this for anyone of the brotherhood on TS. i'm sure there are many members here that live in CA. and some might live close by to help you.
gorilla
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi remmy700p,
points given.
it's nice to see this.
this is what i mean when i say brotherhood.
your going out of your way to help another TS brother.
NICE! i thankyou.
gorilla

·
Registered
918 Posts
This is a classic symptom of a balljoint that dried out and wore down to the point where it just ripped itself apart. The same thing was happening to Durangos and Dakotas a few years back when excessive ball joint wear became an issue with them. Wherever you were when this happened, be thankful you were not going faster and doing something like turning onto or off of an on ramp at speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...the wheel could fall off.
OK, I'm convinced! I'm not certain the ball-joint recall was ever done. I bought it used from a Toyota dealer in late '06.

Thanks for the referral, Remmy. Tustin Toyota is just up the 5 from me (I'm at work in Mission Viejo); though I was thinking of sending it to the dealer I bought it from, Power Toyota in Irvine. Do you know anything about them, good or bad?

Thanks for your help, everyone.

·
8,534 Posts
Thanks for the referral, Remmy. Tustin Toyota is just up the 5 from me (I'm at work in Mission Viejo); though I was thinking of sending it to the dealer I bought it from, Power Toyota in Irvine. Do you know anything about them, good or bad?

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone at Power.

If it was me and my truck, and it was sunk down on its front wheels from suspension failure in the parking lot of Power Toyota, I'd be calling AAA to tow it to Glen in Tustin.

My brother's father-in-law retired as the GM of Tustin Toyota (used to be known as Joe MacPherson Toyota) and I've known Glen for over 20 years. I live 4 miles from Riverside Toyota and go to them for simple, easy repairs and am treated quite well. However, if I had a major repair I'd be driving into OC to have it done.

You can't put a price on personal relationships, but you can come pretty close by guessing! :tu:

'Nuff said.

Note: Make sure that AAA flatbeds the truck. You don't want to tow it on the rears and the front's toast...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Word of caution, this will need to be towed with a wheel lift and NOT a flatbed!!! Flatbed will drag truck up onto the bed and possibly dislodge the wheel and then your really in trouble!

If anything that wheel should be secured to the vehicle as best as possible before moving it. I would chain it myself tbh.

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
OK, I'm convinced! I'm not certain the ball-joint recall was ever done. I bought it used from a Toyota dealer in late '06.

You might want to go where remmy suggested just because he know people there and people on this board don't mislead other members. We're all here to help, they've helped me I help them, it all comes around. But do what you want just my .02.

·
8,534 Posts
Word of caution, this will need to be towed with a wheel lift and NOT a flatbed!!! Flatbed will drag truck up onto the bed and possibly dislodge the wheel and then your really in trouble!

If anything that wheel should be secured to the vehicle as best as possible before moving it. I would chain it myself tbh.
This tow will require about 10 miles, all freeway. Not sure that the dollies can be safely deployed at highway speeds.

And the OP has already indicated that he drove it some after the failure, so the wheel itself isn't bound up. It should roll sufficiently to get it up the flatbed without doing any further damage.

To the OP: Send me a PM if you decide to take it Glen. I'll call him so he'll be expecting you.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Come on, just man up. Get 'er up to maybe 80 and you'll be at the dealer in no time. Probably just needs an oil change. Don't believe these guys who tell you your wheel could fall off, that's crap. You got it this far didn't you? Remember, get it up to at least 80 mph. (But first might be a good idea to check the life insurance is all paid up...just saying.)

·
7,925 Posts
You might want to go where remmy suggested just because he know people there and people on this board don't mislead other members. We're all here to help, they've helped me I help them, it all comes around. But do what you want just my .02.
As evidenced in my signature. Still rolling because of your kindness and still have some get up and fight left in me. Thanks a million brother!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I'm having it towed to Tustin Toyota; when the tow truck guy got here he asked me what was wrong. I told him the story and that people online suspect a bad balljoint or shock mount. He took a look and it appears to be a broken shock mount (or maybe the shock itself is broken).

It is pretty easy to see when you look at it from the right angle - of course the right angle (looking up under the front of the wheel) was the first one he looked and the only one I hadn't. :eek: I looked underneath from behind the front wheel and under the hood.

Anyway, when he got it on the truck I was able to get a real clear view:

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
That's an easy fix, fortunately, and it's unlikely that anything else was damaged...a new shock (actually, a pair...and I'd recommend the 5100 kit while you're doing it ;)) and you should be on your way.

BTW crew, if it were the lower ball joint or the four connecting bolts, the truck would not have been drivable after it happened...the wheel would have been flopping around. Since the steering axis and linkage were maintained and only the suspension was effectively removed, everything critical still worked...but that side is resting on the bump stops.

I was gonna guess a busted coil...a busted shock mount doesn't happen often (thank goodness!).

The tab sticking up with the bolt through it, that's where it used to connect :D...

Glad you're safe, and the truck (relatively) undamaged!

-Sean

·
8,534 Posts
So I'm having it towed to Tustin Toyota; when the tow truck guy got here he asked me what was wrong. I told him the story and that people online suspect a bad balljoint or shock mount. He took a look and it appears to be a broken shock mount (or maybe the shock itself is broken).

It is pretty easy to see when you look at it from the right angle - of course the right angle (looking up under the front of the wheel) was the first one he looked and the only one I hadn't. :eek: I looked underneath from behind the front wheel and under the hood.

Anyway, when he got it on the truck I was able to get a real clear view:

You got lucky! (sort of...) The shock's lower mount housing failed. Yikes.

As Sean stated, this should be a simple shock replacement. I'd order up a pair of front 5100s (the -6929s) from Shock Warehouse and have them shipped directly to Glen @ Tustin Toyota for installation. :tu:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts