Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 11383 Posts

·
Beer Me
1,676 Posts
hit the remote start button on my keyfob, waited 10 minutes, then drove away and thought how much better it would sound when i can afford to put my headers and all new cats & mufflers put on. then laughed at a kid at at stoplight who has a "show" truck with a 10 in lift and 33's and cute powdercoat everywhere.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cleaned the MAF and throttle body, added 1/3 can of seafoam to brake booster, crankcase and fuel tank.

Drove around some, will change oil and oil filter tonight.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Nothing new for the Toy right now. I am 3000 miles away while it sleeps in the playpen.

I do have plans to finally upgrade the lighting inside and add some other touches, but, not till Spring. I hope we have
a short winter.....
You could do us all a favor and CLEAN the damn thing. After that you could stop embarassing the other Tundras by having all that rust treated and some body work done. Sheesh - kids these days just don't take care of nice things anymore . . . .

·
Beer Me
1,676 Posts
You could do us all a favor and CLEAN the damn thing. After that you could stop embarassing the other Tundras by having all that rust treated and some body work done. Sheesh - kids these days just don't take care of nice things anymore . . . .

bahaha

·
Registered
739 Posts
took her to the tire shop to get a slow leak repaired
the tire was fine it was the rim itself that had been patched
from the previous owner now i have to replace it

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Holy crap! I removed and replaced just one lower control arm and it was a total pain in the butt! None of the CAM hardware was salvageable other than the bolts and even those I decided to replace. A diamond coated sawzall was even a total pain to use and wouldn't cut right through the LCA, so it was a combination of cutting and using a 4' pry bar to break them free.

Glad I had someone to help; I could never do it alone. Even the steering rack required dust boot removal along loosening all the bolts and removing the stud on the bottom right hand side of the steering rack just to get the CAM bolt to clear the upper control arm. Arrrgh, what a pain!

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I opened the door and put the high pressure hose for the steering rack inside it. Some time next week the mechanic will replace it. On the plus side, I'm getting better gas mileage than Lizard Man :D!

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got up at 5am and finished a timing belt change on my 2000 Tundra that I started yesterday morning. Big job but all went will. Not too bad if you have the right tools and take your time.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Methinks John is getting better MPG's by using those new bionic joints to push his truck . . ..:D

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I'm finally taking the advice I give to others (albeit a [email protected] answer) who ask how they can get better MPG's on their Tundra...don't start it :D!

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys,
have a 2005 4.7 , 158,000 miles, the engine when cold has started a load knock, does not do it all te time, only when i start up knocks for about 30 sec. then goes aways. i thought about a spark knock changed gas types, still does it, it does not do it everytime, maybe 4 out of 7 days a week.

any ideas? one thing i have not changed is the spark plugs, things i have done:water pump/timing belt , transmission service , cleaned throttle body, tires, brakes, etc.

thanks,

ps, gas where i am $ 2.92 hang in there

gary in SC

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I'm finally taking the advice I give to others (albeit a [email protected] answer) who ask how they can get better MPG's on their Tundra...don't start it :D!

John
I like the idea of getting AAA plus and having them tow it on a flatbed for 100 miiles; your allowed 4 trips/year!

No gas comsumed! 400 miles/ 0 gallons = infinity miles per gallon! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
finished the exhaust project i started on thurdsday...replaced the works, JBA headers, Magnafl;ow cats, Gibson's dual side exit cat back...will be enjoying the snow today...

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
SO you got it all finished, and are good to go? :tu:
Oh, god NO! Today was a literal nightmare. Worked on the right side and realized I couldn't get a sawzall into the back of the lower control arm no matter how much I swung the knuckle out of the way. Plan was to pul both the LCA and strut together on the right side.

My father is both knowledgable and incredibly impatient. I used a breaker bar to snap the end toe nut along with the piece of the CAM sleeve along wih it, so we were able to break the back end free after prying apart the frame by almost 1/4 inch on each side.

The hard part came with the front of the LCA which was actually quite easy. I used a diamond edge sawzall blade to cut the front CAM sleeve out, but the blade went completely dull for the backside. It was at this point it started to rain and my father couldn't wait 15 minutes for me to drive to Home Depot and get another blade to finish the job.

Instead he pulls out his 3" cutting tool and starts cutting away at the protruding sleeve on the back of the front of the arm. Ended up cutting into my frame about 1/16"-1/8" of an inch in some parts to slowly grind it away. Wouldn't even tell me what he was cutting "saying I know what to do!". In the end it didn't work and he ended up trashing the LCA on the right side by cutting a portion of the arm off! :mad:

Now I've got to order a starter kit of POR-15 just to cover the hack marks he made so it doesn't corrode my frame which is now slightly weaker at that point.

Unfortunately, this is what I have to deal with when getting help from the old man; he knows how to handle some of the jams I run into, but doesn't have the patience to wait 15 minutes for me to do things right! It's like I'm damned if I do, or damned if I don't when it comes to getting his help. :(

Now I'm just waiting on parts in the mail such as the paint and ball joint and should be able to leave the folks by this coming Wednesday hopefully.

·
2,875 Posts
I changed my oil today.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I've never had great success with blocking the noise from the vents on the back wall of the cab. Since it's been raining lately, I've been extra bothered by the sounds. Those flaps inside the vents also rattle when my sub hits, which keeps me from using my sub. I was walking through Home Depot yesterday and had a thought... sponge.

I picked up two grouting sponges, $1.97 each and cut rectangular cubes out of them which I stuffed into the holes in the vents. I think the sponge is porous enough to allow pressure to breathe, yet dense enough to block the noise. I tried it this morning and so far it's working to keep the sound down, no rattle sound either.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I did an awesome burnout leaving an ultimate frisbee game. Got sideways and everything. I might have even yelled "I'm Tanner Foust!" out the window... Couldn't hear myself over the screeching tires and MagnaFlows. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pulled a 2007 F-150 out of a ditch and got it muddy while doing it. That's what they get when they talk smack about a 4.7L.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

21 - 40 of 11383 Posts
About this Discussion
11.4K Replies
610 Participants
t100forlife
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing