Toyota Tundra Forums banner

4501 - 4520 of 11387 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
They want to replace my entire driveshaft and power steering set ups, and want $3000 to do it. In all honesty? Probably gonna get the truck fixed then sell it. It's costed too much money in repairs.

·
Registered
836 Posts
They want to replace my entire driveshaft and power steering set ups, and want $3000 to do it. In all honesty? Probably gonna get the truck fixed then sell it. It's costed too much money in repairs.
Where did this come from? Were you having steering/driveline issues?

Oh, I just went back and read about it. Lol. My bad.

Time to start learning to DIY. You dont want to be just another dude with a Silverado do you?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Where did this come from? Were you having steering/driveline issues?

Oh, I just went back and read about it. Lol. My bad.

Time to start learning to DIY. You dont want to be just another dude with a Silverado do you?
It's the damn parts that are expensive, the labor was decently cheap. If I trade up I'm just gonna get a car probably. I don't even know what to do /facepalm

·
2,875 Posts
If you get a prius will you post a picture?:eek:

·
941 Posts
It's the damn parts that are expensive, the labor was decently cheap. If I trade up I'm just gonna get a car probably. I don't even know what to do /facepalm
Doesn't add up. I looked up a NAPA premium steering rack with lifetime warranty and my cost is $299. Carrier bearing is $60.48. Why do they want to replace the whole driveshaft? Find a different shop, they're trying to bend you over.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Completed OEM fog light install with factory switch. Also clay barred, cleaner waxed, and polished the 12 year old white paint and got some shine back to it. I'm convinced the previous owner let mother nature take care of the cleaning... It's looking pretty sharp today!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not today, but in the last two weeks:

Polished out the hazy headlights, got some black/red soft KC light covers (hate the red KC text-gotta figure something out like dying it black), got a new windshield (cracked), installed the new color-matched rear bumper, destroyed one of the bumper's plastic step pads (and ordered a new one), installed new third brake light on my camper shell, installed a hitch receiver step/extra brake light, got my auto-start fixed, and just now completed the tire pressure sensor light kill mod (best mod ever!). I love this truck. All the chrome is officially gone! Well, except for the Borla exhaust tips. They're all stained and need to be replaced.

Now I'm looking at some black wheels and a drawer/platform set up for the bed. And blacked out headlights.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Doesn't add up. I looked up a NAPA premium steering rack with lifetime warranty and my cost is $299. Carrier bearing is $60.48. Why do they want to replace the whole driveshaft? Find a different shop, they're trying to bend you over.
This was my standpoint. I went shopping online and I ran ~$55 for the bearing and $310 for the steering. Were taking it to another shop, and this time I'll be there when they do the diagnosis. In person they told me carrier bearing and a pump in my power steering, now they want to replace the entire driveshaft and power steering unit. I'll give updates tomorrow a afternoon.

Update #1: they (Lambs) claims that a "problem with the Toyota Tundra is that the only way to replace a carrier bearing is to replace the entire drift shaft", and that "this wouldn't happen with 'American' trucks". As for the power steering "hose", I'm going to get a diagnostic and do that myself I believe. I'm gonna kinda wing it unless I can find a DIY. I'm not even sure what's wrong with it yet though, the guy managing my truck was a douche.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
"problem with the Toyota Tundra is that the only way to replace a carrier bearing is to replace the entire drift shaft", and that "this wouldn't happen with 'American' trucks".
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew that's some stinky bullchit! If you couldn't replace it on its own you wouldn't be able to buy the part by itself. Pick a new shop, f those guys.

What exactly is wrong that makes you want to swap the carrier bearing? I saw you mentioned it before but didn't see explanation. I swapped mine, it took around 2 hours but that counts a lot of dicking around with the wrong tools, a shop should push it in an hour flat.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew that's some stinky bullchit! If you couldn't replace it on its own you wouldn't be able to buy the part by itself. Pick a new shop, f those guys.

What exactly is wrong that makes you want to swap the carrier bearing? I saw you mentioned it before but didn't see explanation. I swapped mine, it took around 2 hours but that counts a lot of dicking around with the wrong tools, a shop should push it in an hour flat.
Thank you for validating the fact I'm not completely insane. For the bearings, it had been a long lasting issue that has been getting progressively worse. Imagine a baseball card in the spoke of a bicycle. Every time the wheel turns and reaches the frame, it clicks. Well, replace that with a high pitch squeal and a 5k ibs truck. I initially thought it was just a problem with the rotors, but after more research (dayum this website is helpful) I chalked it up as problems with the driveshaft, IE the carrier bearings (I didn't mention any of this to the guy at Lambs).

It started only in reverse, below 5mph and only while on the breaks. Then 5mph without breaks. Then one night the lady friend was in the bed and I decided to freak her out by going down the street in reverse. Squealed (still in sync with the wheel rotation) at ahout 15mph with no breaks. After taking a mountain road way to fast (between 45-92mph on turns I'm surprised my truck even made it though) it started squeaking in drive; from there it naturally progressed in speeds, now when I drive all I hear is constant squeaking regardless of speeds, and it drives me mad.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts

That's what I told the dikheds at my Toyota dealership when they told my I could not add on a tranny cooler. It was a factory install, they said. I said, "Then how would you repair one?" Problem is, they have a salesman as the service adviser not a mechanic.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Decided to use my Weber-Q portable grill to cook a couple Ribeye Angus steaks off the back of my tailgate in the front of my townhouse while sitting there drinking my Yuengling and saying hi to the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Update #1: they (Lambs) claims that a "problem with the Toyota Tundra is that the only way to replace a carrier bearing is to replace the entire drift shaft", and that "this wouldn't happen with 'American' trucks".
This is bona fida CRAP and the dealership is LYING to you - yes LIE-ING. Absolutely false. Get that in writing and send it to Toyota National. Do not let those morons touch your truck. Find another dealer. Print off my post and tell the to email me if they have an issue with what I just said.

Decided to use my Weber-Q portable grill to cook a couple Ribeye Angus steaks off the back of my tailgate in the front of my townhouse while sitting there drinking my Yuengling and saying hi to the neighbors.
Okay - I will let you come over.

·
Registered
535 Posts
This is bona fida CRAP and the dealership is LYING to you - yes LIE-ING. Absolutely false. Get that in writing and send it Toyota National. Do not let those morons touch your truck. Find another dealer. Print off my post and tell the to email me if they have an issue with what I just said.
I'm not insane, phew. I got a printed quote and the managers signature, I took it to a better shop. It isn't the dealership believe it or not, it's Lamb's Tire and Automotive. Probably going to threaten to go public unless I'm compensated (maybe free strut instillation, heh heh). My mom is a local business owner and would tear them to shreds.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Today I got new tires, even better I pulled off the steelies and put on the aluminum 5 spoke wheels I scored on craigslist. I went with Cooper Discoverer's in a 265 70 16 mainly because they had good reviews and it will see mostly highway miles. It's riding smooth, I'm a happy camper!

On a side note, anyone know the weight difference between the oem steel and oem aluminum rim? Unloading those steel wheels after my changeout was an eye opener(and a back breaker) but just curious on the number..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Trying to get my truck out of the body shop without any more issues. Some jackleg was playing on his phone and rearended me while I was stopped at a red light over a month ago. Back an neck still sore. I hate that my baby (my truck) got hurt. Of course the body shop had to damage it too. Its been a nightmare.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I Cleaned the Mass Air Flow, Throttle Body , and Put Seafoam in the Brake Booster ,PVC , and Oil (Crankcase) using Highwaylizard's Instructions. Then i Drove it Fast on the Freeway to finish off my gas tank and filled up later. Definitely more Acceleration and Idles better. Hopefully Better MPG :)

4501 - 4520 of 11387 Posts