Toyota Tundra Forums banner

4761 - 4780 of 11411 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Nice job Puff. I find the best MPG I can get is between 55-60 MPH, but I have a hard time driving in that speed range where I live. 65MPH isn't too bad either.

I thought about washing my truck, then realized I have cold Ruination in my fridge and Top Gear was on, the rest was history. I need some Stone Brew stickers for my truck.
If I run 55-60 MPH on the highway I get run over or run off the road. I run 55-60 on some roads but outside of limited Scanguage readings have no solid long term data.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice ride. What year? I had a 84' GSL SE in highschool. Unfortunately sold it before I got any work done on it. :(
Thanks it's an 85 I bought it in 89 off an old lady in cape cod when I was 18. has 115,000 on it. Never seen winter. autox raced it for a few year then did a rolling restoration about 10 years ago. Complete new interior. Stripped the body to bare metal and did lots of subtle changes, shaved the emblems and side molding with marker lights, glassed the rear wing to the body. Tweaked as much power from the stock motor as possible. Bigger brakes and full race suspension. Not the fastest thing in a straight line but corners like it's on rails. Straight away are boring any ways and it has enough power to get me to the next corner before my A. D. D kicks in :D

·
2,152 Posts
I thought about washing my truck, then realized I have cold Ruination in my fridge and Top Gear was on, the rest was history. I need some Stone_Blue stickers for my truck.
???????? :D

I like Stone Brew...They make good stuff....
Took the Tundie up to the city today, and got 18.6MPG there....But only 14.6MPG back... Had a headwind, slow traffic, and it was all uphill... :(
Stopped at the local beer heaven, and picked up a big bottle of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout (now one of my All Time Top 5 Beers), a 6pk of Left Hand Milk Stout, and a Southern Tier Fusebox to try.... :)
Also got a shelving unit for the garage...

Yesterday, I finally got the bed-to-tailgate weather stripping in, corrosion control done on the tailgate, and got it all put together with the new handle, and back on the truck...except for the inner screw-on panel and bedliner panel...Still deciding whether I want to reinstall the plastic liner, or try some DIY bedliner instead.

DSCN0550.jpg DSCN0551.jpg

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
cleaned the butterfly flap and as much of the intake plenum as i could with carb/throttle body cleaner. also sprayed the MAF with CRC electronic cleaner. she was a bit dirty too. when i make a run home in a few weeks ill grab a new PCV valve and replace that as well since its the original one

·
Registered
836 Posts
that Sam Smith is too much for my IPA snobbish palette, but my wife really likes it! Look for Ballast Point Brewery, a Sandy Eggo micro that makes a really good elixir or 7!
I'd like to humbly recommend you try Founders All Day IPA. If you cant find it on the left coast, let me know. Ill happily send you some.

·
Registered
239 Posts
^^If the factory tailgate bushings are shot, you'll have to fab some up, or get new hinge assemblies...Around $25 each, IIRC... :(
I know, cuz I'm currently rebuilding my tailgate, and mine are shot...
I was looking at my Coma's tailgate, the lower bushings look the same (and aren't worn out, no play). I'm thinking I'll go to the dealer when I order the rear diff breather parts and see if the bushings are the same, see what can be ordered.

·
2,152 Posts
I'm thinking with bushings like that some improvisation works ok. I was thinking about going to Ace Hardware and see if there was some nylon sleeves that might fit. Sure would be nice to find a way to clean that up cheap .
I dont know what diameter, but about 4" of nylon dowel, cut into 2" or so pieces, then appropriate hole saw down the center, leaving 1/16"-1/8" inch at the bottom...Some how get the center chunk out, drill a hole in the bottom, drill out the rivet on the bracket, remove the stock bushing, and re-rivet, pin or screw the bushing to the bracket...Voila!...Done...?????

·
2,152 Posts
that Sam Smith is too much for my IPA snobbish palette, but my wife really likes it! Look for Ballast Point Brewery, a Sandy Eggo micro that makes a really good elixir or 7!
I have a sweet tooth, so I like the heavy, dark brews...Stouts, then Porters, then IPAs...Dont much like anything lighter than IPAs...And I can only handle so much IPA, cuz they are so hoppy.
I DID have a Firestone DoubleJack yesterday for the first time....Now THAT is a great IPA!...Yes, hoppy, and as light as it was, it had an AWESOME citrus to follow up the hoppiness.

Is there a beer thread in Off Topic?...If not, someone needs to start one...lol

I'm thinking I'll go to the dealer when I order the rear diff breather parts and see if the bushings are the same, see what can be ordered.
Definately post up if you do...Maybe even post a DIY... :tu:

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Drove it to Evansville and back fighting storms the whole way. Tornado on the ground in Plainfield. Horrible fuel economy. Brakes making weird vibrating sound/sensation. Need to get in there tomorrow and have a look see.

·
2,152 Posts
Drove it to Evansville and back fighting storms the whole way. Tornado on the ground in Plainfield.
Thats what must be hitting us now...Luckliy, i got home this afternoon only about 1/2hr before the first wave hit... :)

Brakes making weird vibrating sound/sensation. Need to get in there tomorrow and have a look see.
Just the past couple days, i have noticed my brakes fading, and a heavy vibration when stopping....(I have all recent brakes, except for rotors...The vibration seems to be coming from the rear though... ???)

Post up what you find, HL, I'd be interested...

·
2,152 Posts
View attachment 60695 View attachment 60696

Been driving red Roxanne lately. She looks good in the summer. Cheers
'63, 4, or 5?...or ??.... Dont see many old Chevies restored to plain-jane original looking condition like that...Kudos to you. :tu:

'60's Chevy muscle was my 1st love...(Had a '70 Malibu, (always wanted a '69 'Velle, tho...), then a '68 'Maro RS....) ... That addiction got too expensive for me, so then I ended up with Toyota Fever...(Even was gonna cross-breed the two at one point...Had a 0 mile, built, SBC 383 all set to put into the '74 FJ40...but ran out of $$ to get it in...)

First had an '85 Tercel, then a '75 FJ40, then a '74, then two '88 PUs, then an '85 Cressida, then an '86, then an '80 Hilux, then a '99 Taco. Also had a '79 FJ40, an '86 Turbo PU, an '84 4Runner all for parts, plus TONS of other parts I picked up separately from various other Toyota models...I had 14 Toyotas sitting in the yard all at the same time at one point...(Yes...I was known locally as: "That Toyota guy.....".... Which was a hell of a thing being in the Big Three Redneck Armpit of NY... lol)

I had to sell/junk everything cept the Taco, cuz we moved...Then sold the Taco back to Toyota and got into the current Tundie....

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
in Baja a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were in the midst of hydrating with copius amounts of "refreshments" on the beach when I looked at the truck from 50' away. it looked like its intestines had spilt out under the rear end!?!?!? when I got closer and took off the beer goggles I noticed my coil of hose from the rear diff breather mod had lost the zip tie securing it up to the frame. after a couple swigs of that hydrating elixir I dug thru the tool bag, pulled a new zip tie and hooked that mutha back up.

I'm just glad it didn't snag along the trail......

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Thats what must be hitting us now...Luckliy, i got home this afternoon only about 1/2hr before the first wave hit... :)

Just the past couple days, i have noticed my brakes fading, and a heavy vibration when stopping....(I have all recent brakes, except for rotors...The vibration seems to be coming from the rear though... ???)

Post up what you find, HL, I'd be interested...
My brake issue began a few days ago in conjunction with the heavy rains so I wonder if the moisture has anything to do with it. My sound and vibration is coming from the rear as well. The past week I have made an effort to back in reverse using the parking brake periodically to help adjust the shoes - not sure if that has triggered something but thought I might provide as many details as I can think of at this time. Going to pull the rear wheels and drums this afternoon and take a look in there.

·
2,152 Posts
My brake issue began a few days ago in conjunction with the heavy rains so I wonder if the moisture has anything to do with it. My sound and vibration is coming from the rear as well. The past week I have made an effort to back in reverse using the parking brake periodically to help adjust the shoes - not sure if that has triggered something but thought I might provide as many details as I can think of at this time. Going to pull the rear wheels and drums this afternoon and take a look in there.
Huh...Again, not sure if it was a fluke, but I had a couple days where my MPG was high around 18MPG, right after I pulled the one drum off to inspect the brakes...Then I started using the ebrake again, and it dropped...IIRC, we also had some rain over a couple days, then...

Ever since then, i try to park on level ground and not use the ebrake...When I DO use the ebrake, when first starting to go somewhere, I have also been driving forward a few feet, then reversing a few feet, back and forth a couple times before driving, to try to loosen up the shoes just in case the ebrake is freezing. Mileage is still pretty consistent at 15.5-16.5MPGs though...And the vibration has just started over the past few days... I guess I also need to pull the drums soon and get going on adjusting/taking a look at the ebrake closer...

The other thing is, my tires were never match balanced, so (I'm thinking) there has always been some vibration from that...Would vibration from out of balance tires be magnified during braking?...Especially hard braking?...The vibration gets worse the harder I lay on the brakes...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Put a sheet of 1/4" finished plywood on the bed and tailgate. 4x8 sheet $25. I know 99% of people use a plastic insert or a bedmat but I've always preferred the finished plywood since I always have a shell on. It's a nice flat surface for bed-camping, easy to run water underneath it to clean out the grooves, lightweight, durable enough for most loads. And the plywood on the tailgate is a nice flat surface to sit on or put the Coleman stove on.

By golly, that bed steel is thick, had to sharpen my drill bit twice. The tailgate steel I estimate is about half the thickness of the bed steel. Hence why my tailgate is beat to hell and bent.

bed.plywood.tundra.jpg

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
'63, 4, or 5?...or ??.... Dont see many old Chevies restored to plain-jane original looking condition like that...Kudos to you. :tu:

'60's Chevy muscle was my 1st love...(Had a '70 Malibu, (always wanted a '69 'Velle, tho...), then a '68 'Maro RS....) ... That addiction got too expensive for me, so then I ended up with Toyota Fever...(Even was gonna cross-breed the two at one point...Had a 0 mile, built, SBC 383 all set to put into the '74 FJ40...but ran out of $$ to get it in...)

First had an '85 Tercel, then a '75 FJ40, then a '74, then two '88 PUs, then an '85 Cressida, then an '86, then an '80 Hilux, then a '99 Taco. Also had a '79 FJ40, an '86 Turbo PU, an '84 4Runner all for parts, plus TONS of other parts I picked up separately from various other Toyota models...I had 14 Toyotas sitting in the yard all at the same time at one point...(Yes...I was known locally as: "That Toyota guy.....".... Which was a hell of a thing being in the Big Three Redneck Armpit of NY... lol)

I had to sell/junk everything cept the Taco, cuz we moved...Then sold the Taco back to Toyota and got into the current Tundie....
it looks like a 67 chevelle/malibu if im not mistaken. its my dads favorite year chevelle.

·
Registered
171 Posts
PaperArtist_2013-08-14_22-51-18.jpg IMAG0385.jpg
it looks like a 67 chevelle/malibu if im not mistaken. its my dads favorite year chevelle.
tundra3400 is correct! 1967 Chevelle 300 2 door post sedan. Great aunt bought it new, she wanted 2 things...power steer & automatic. No radio, just a defroster, ciggy lighter, 2 speed wiper washer & rubber floor. Almost 47500 miles, documented down to the metal warranty card (protecto-plate) 3.8L inline six & powerglide, decent power, gets 19mpg! Schmoove highway cruiser. Original survivor! With 3 in college & one in high school, restoration has to wait......and wait....thanks for the comments too! I love that car. :love2:

4761 - 4780 of 11411 Posts