Toyota Tundra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Ordinarily, I like a good debate, but this one .... I dunno.

I suppose I just don't care one way or the other.
Sounds like you're apathetic. Isn't apathy a sign of a pot smoker?:eek:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
d-lo, one of the reasons I typically don't identify myself as being libertarian, and when I do I make sure to let people know that I am not affiliated with the party, is because of the Libertarian Party's support for the decriminalization of drugs. Not that I am against it, but it causes people to automatically make assumptions about me in that regard, that is if they know anything about Libertarians and the party. I can have numerous valid points, but since they automatically assume I support smoking pot, my opinion is somehow less worthy. A fallacious assumption to be sure, but one which creates such a stumbling block as to be worthwhile to avoid when engaging in dialogue on something.
Point taken, and I, as an avid proponent of precise and poignant communication, (almost) always take into account such considerations. If, however, I am pointing out to someone that is drawing poorly-based sterotypes and applying them liberally that the stereotype is in many cases dead wrong, I have found that I can expect to often be lumped into the category (usually "the enemy")... and there's not much that I can or care to do about that. If there is something I seek from the dialogue/communication other than stating my point and hearing others, I will likely weight those considerations more heavily.
As I stated, I don't care all that much about the issue at hand, as it doesn't affect me personally or pique an ideological interest worth pursuing. I just found the extremity of the stereotype being painted worth commenting on.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
dsrtrcr01:"They have to smoke it daily which to me is a negative affect."

No, "I know many people who either smoke it every day or once and a while but are totally normal people who's lifes are not negatively effected by smoking weed."

The bottom line is that there are a lot of people in this world that smoke weed and most of the time you wont even know they're high. Some people aren't effected as badly as others due to many factors while others can get very effected by simply 1 hit. To group everyone together into 1 group is stereotyping. Kinda like saying everyone at a bar is an alcoholic. Some people can have one or two drinks and be perfectly fine, same w/weed. And just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's bad. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and that's fine.

Deciding to smoke weed has nothing to do w/self-control, it's personal choice. Knowing when to stop is self-control. Just like everything else in this world from drinking, fatty foods, speeding, and even excersize. As for being bad for you, after knowing as many people smoking weed for as long as they have without any adverse effects, i really can't see any evidence that points to it being "bad" for you. Even several Dr's i've asked about which is more damaging to the body, each one has said alcohol.
I commented on those people as well. Negtive -Money wasted, Negative -Time wasted. Negative- Weakened heart, Negative- Smoke entering your lungs and I am sure there are others. I did say there are those that can smoke and be "Normal" and as many have pointed out they are the minority. But again I ask how normal if they can't go without smoking even on occasion?? So great for them. It is bad. It is bad for you and others around you. It is bad for society and so on??? Smoking weed has everything to do with self control and so does doing all the other stuff you mentioned? Why would you smoke something bad if you had self control? Cigs weed whatever. Why would you Drink alcohol if you had self control?

I know weed weakens the heart. I am sure it is not good for you to inhale smoke of any kind. It makes you stupid. You can argue that last one all you want but it is not like people just made up the stereotypical weed smoker for movies and such, that is how they act. OK you are right there is that HUGE minority you speak of. Again great for them.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Wait I have an idea!!!!

Maybe we should make it illegal. Then everyone will stop smoking the stuff, and the problem will be solved. We could even throw thousands of people in jail and give them criminal records for possession of one or two joints! Yeah, excellent idea.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Wait I have an idea!!!!

Maybe we should make it illegal. Then everyone will stop smoking the stuff, and the problem will be solved. We could even throw thousands of people in jail and give them criminal records for possession of one or two joints! Yeah, excellent idea.
I get your sarcasm and I guess we could say that about everything right? personally I want to do 120 down my little street but the law says I can't and guess what? I got a few speeding tickets in my life. How many hours did that officer waste stopping me writing me up going to court when I fight it. Man we wasted a lot of money there. PLUS it went on my record???? Over just a couple miles over the limit??? We should be able to drive as fast as we want any where we want.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I get your sarcasm and I guess we could say that about everything right? personally I want to do 120 down my little street but the law says I can't and guess what? I got a few speeding tickets in my life. How many hours did that officer waste stopping me writing me up going to court when I fight it. Man we wasted a lot of money there. PLUS it went on my record???? Over just a couple miles over the limit??? We should be able to drive as fast as we want any where we want.
The major distinction is that, the issue of second hand smoke aside, smoking marijuana typically does nothing to harm anyone but the user. Speed laws are put into place in order to create a safe road system for all users.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
The major distinction is that, the issue of second hand smoke aside, smoking marijuana typically does nothing to harm anyone but the user. Speed laws are put into place in order to create a safe road system for all users.
True I was using an extreme to show his sarcastic post did not answer anything. There are plenty of laws out there. Your point is true for the single smoker with no family (parents included). If they have kids or Families then it does lots of harm. And just so I don't get it here is my disclaimer: YES there are the rare minority of people who can smoke and act "Normal" (but as stated above it does not seem "Normal" to me to have to smoke or waste family money on weed.)

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
True I was using an extreme to show his sarcastic post did not answer anything. There are plenty of laws out there. Your point is true for the single smoker with no family (parents included). If they have kids or Families then it does lots of harm. And just so I don't get it here is my disclaimer: YES there are the rare minority of people who can smoke and act "Normal" (but as stated above it does not seem "Normal" to me to have to smoke or waste family money on weed.)
I've known all kinds when it comes to weed. The kind who enjoyed it in college, but quit when it was time to join the real world. The kind who could keep a job, but pretty much spent everything beyond what went to necessities on pt. The kind who would smoke everything he could get his hands on, and the only reason he worked was for more, that is when he could hold a job.

I don't use it, don't want to use it, so my only dog in this fight is pretty much based on principle.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I've known all kinds when it comes to weed. The kind who enjoyed it in college, but quit when it was time to join the real world. The kind who could keep a job, but pretty much spent everything beyond what went to necessities on pt. The kind who would smoke everything he could get his hands on, and the only reason he worked was for more, that is when he could hold a job.

I don't use it, don't want to use it, so my only dog in this fight is pretty much based on principle.
I've known the smae groups. If no one could tell by now I don't use and never will.

It just rubs me the wrong way when people say weed is fine it does nothing and so on. I have personally seen the negatives of weed. It has a negative affect on the person and anyone around them.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
It also rubs people the wrong way when you tell them that HHO generators don't work, because it reflects a personal bias they have and the juxtaposition with reality is upsetting.
Everyone that I know of that smokes is a successful professional and participating member in society... I guess I just don't associate with the deadbeats y'all see crawling the walls everywhere. I could form a stereotype based on my own experience that casual smoking makes you successful... I just wouldn't do that because I recognize the logical absurdity of such a leap.
If you have a prejudice, more than likely you will seek to reinforce the negative stereotypes that make your painted version of reality look more real. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but at some point there will have to be some reckoning with reality as others see it. I for some reason have an urge to cause those crashes with reality when I see an opportunity.

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
Ok...if I am stereotyping, which may be arguably a case of illusory correlation, then (outside of my hippie remarks) the negative portrayals in this thread of marijuana users would have little or nothing to do with Negra's link (reposted).

Cannabis Compound Abuse: Overview - eMedicine Psychiatry

If you're the opposite of the stereotype, why not create a counter-stereotype? The successful, wealthy, intelligent, conservative, well-groomed dope smoker...and then try to eliminate every stereotype I've described through media exposure and in-group emulation.

Like I said tho, it's gonna be an uphill battle, particularly if all you "successful in life" users stay quiet and let the burnouts speak for you.

I've encountered people smoking weed literally from coast to coast...far more than one little hippie town off the backroads of the Midwest. Is it possible that, rather than a government-sponsored propaganda effort leading to my disdain for marijuana (similar to an older propaganda effort leading to a prohibition on absinthe), it's that the majority of people I've seen using marijuana aren't kicking back to relax with a joint, they're smoking specifically to get high?

I'm not interested in trying a drink that I stereotype as a favorite of financially solvent goths or self-described bohos, but I don't see it as a green demon out to soak everyone to a stupor, either. Unfortunately, I have seen a great many people intentionally out to smoke themselves in to a stupor, and in my experience since high school, the "I got high" users far outnumber the "I feel like a joint" crowd.

I like bourbon. I like wine, beer, tequila, whiskey and plenty of other alcoholic drinks, each of which I appreciate for their flavor, and drink slowly so I can enjoy them without the effect of the alcohol masking the taste. That is a far cry from getting drunk, or getting high. On many occasions I've walked in to green rooms...it was like zombies...everyone in the place was baked catatonic. Just as disgusting as a room full of drunks, but I know plenty of people who drink and don't feel the need to get drunk every time. Part of the reason I left that scene was all the weed...and these were people with day jobs.

Even at the many, many clubs and bars I've been to, the drunkards are few, and they get the boot, or at the very least shunned. If the mj use I've seen in the past had been similar, I'd have a better opinion of it.

Maybe you smoke weed like I drink whiskey, in moderation, for the flavor of it. But as far as I have seen, you're in the minority. If your user group consists entirely of this minority, I can see how you'd take offense to my stereotyping.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
It just rubs me the wrong way when people say weed has a negative affect on the person and anyone around them.
AAHHHHH! DUDE, That is like the Funniest thing I ever heard. HAHAHAHA. Where are those Cheetos?:hungry:

·
5,568 Posts
(Lost in the shuffle) is the fact that DESPITE all the prohibition and criminalization and demonization of pot, people in huge numbers continue to smoke, to get high, to get in the zone, whatever.

In my experience, very few of them have gone on to become crack-whores or heroin junkies or social drop-outs.

When I was younger, I was caught (in Detroit) by the local city cops with a dime bag of weed. All they did was let me dump it on the ground and go with a "warning". I was fortunate, I was white, wealthy, and well spoken. If I'd been otherwise, I strongly suspect I'd have found out what it looks like "inside". Since leaving teenagerhood, I've rarely "toked up" but that doesn't mean never. And defining "to get high" might be different to those who see this as some horrible state of mind vesus those who enjoy the altered perception cannabis gives.

Anyway, people throughout recorded history have sought ways to perceive altered reality, and the law is dumb, unenforceable, causes severe social damage, does not enjoy the majority of support, and makes criminals out of people looking to "toke up" to enjoy a concert or alleviate the pain of multiple sclerosis.

If we think that all substances which can cause harm when used to excess should be illegal, then we've got a lot of legislating yet to do.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Seems the commentary is isolated with in two age groups.
21-36= Pro
37-45= Con

No ? :mullet:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Sorry, Negra, I'm 43.

·
5,568 Posts
61 - 80 of 112 Posts