Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
In the VERY near future I hopefully step up and purchase a SR5,DC, 4x4, TRD, 5.7. I have read many conflicting posts as to seat comfort. I weigh 200 pounds and I am 6'3 (34 inseem). I have owned many cars/trucks over the years, and I am usually comfortable in most anything.

However my mother purchased a new 2006 Highlander last summer, and I have noticed that when I drive the Highlander for more than a 1/2 hour or so my right leg goes numb. The Highlander is the only vehicle that has ever done that to me and I hate to drive it for a longer period of time. Any ideas why the leg would go numb (and no I don't have any medical issues!)? I just hope that the new Tundra will not do that to me!

Thank you,
Zack

PS: I can't wait to have the Tundra sitting in my driveway!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Make sure you test drive a Limited versus a SR5. I have the SR5 with cloth seats and there is not enough leg support in my opinion. The limited has a leg ajustment that the SR5 doesn't from what I have read. I get that right leg thing after driving for more than an hour. Cruise control on the freeway definately helps but city driving is where it gets to me. I have a power adjustable driver seat but I am still trying to find just the right position.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Seat pan depth is probably not long enough to support your entire thigh so the distal portion of your hamstrings on the right leg is being compressed possibly nerve or vascular claudication leading to your symptoms. If you get out of the vehicle and the symptoms go away that is probably your culprit. Another possibility I see is when people carry fat wallets in their back pockets while driving. This can compress your sciatic nerve producing the described symptoms....and leads to an obvious quick fix.

My guess is thought number one. I am also 6'2" with a 35" inseem and small seat pans that are not adjustable give me a similar problem on long drives, but related to pure discomfort and stiffness.

A 30 minute drive producing symptoms in your case sounds severe. I know you said (NO MED PROBLEMS).....keep an eye on your back....symptoms only down one leg, specific to an area of that leg?, and noticeable with prolonged sit of 30min or greater...? I am no medical expert here....or maybe I am, but it is possible to have a minor disc buldge produce those symptoms only noteable while sitting and relieved on standing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seat pan depth is probably not long enough to support your entire thigh so the distal portion of your hamstrings on the right leg is being compressed possibly nerve or vascular claudication leading to your symptoms. If you get out of the vehicle and the symptoms go away that is probably your culprit. Another possibility I see is when people carry fat wallets in their back pockets while driving. This can compress your sciatic nerve producing the described symptoms....and leads to an obvious quick fix.

My guess is thought number one. I am also 6'2" with a 35" inseem and small seat pans that are not adjustable give me a similar problem on long drives, but related to pure discomfort and stiffness.

A 30 minute drive producing symptoms in your case sounds severe. I know you said (NO MED PROBLEMS).....keep an eye on your back....symptoms only down one leg, specific to an area of that leg?, and noticeable with prolonged sit of 30min or greater...? I am no medical expert here....or maybe I am, but it is possible to have a minor disc buldge produce those symptoms only noteable while sitting and relieved on standing.

YES, when I exit the vehicle the numb feeling goes away. I wonder if the Tundra has a similiar seat set up to the Highlander? I guess I would have to do a long test drive in a Tundra SR5 to see if a problem exists.

Zack

·
Registered
226 Posts
As posted already the TUndera seat...at least in the LTD version has the power driver seat with thigh support which extends the front of the seat slightly to give better thigh support. You should be looking for approximately 3 finger widths from the back of your knee to the front of the seat pan for proper support. I am getting the LTD CM and I did test the seat pan adjustment and I can achieve that fit easily. The SR5 model I drove did not have the adjustable thigh support, but the seat pan was rather deep and did provide better than average support..I could only get about 4-5 finger widths with those seats though. ALso make sure the seat is elevated and tilted enough to offer the most support possible without hampering access to the pedals or putting excessive strain on your back. You do NOT want to be reclining back the whole time. Try to get the seatback as upright as possible. If you are used to reclining while driving spend three weeks in a more upright posture or gradually increase the seating to get adjusted to a more ergonomic fit. Use the lumbar support cushioning device if you have one. Fill it up until you feel firm pressure in the small of your back. Also make sure your elbows are resting comfortably on arm rests. I have heard complaints of poor armrest support on the new Tundras. I believe these reports to be true and you might consider some arm rest supports as another member had posted....you may need to search the threads for these. I am having an upholstery shop make a large "support pillow" out of matching leather for my center console, that way it won't slide around and I get a nice firm arm rest that looks custom. Good luck and take of your back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello, when you test drive ,notice the armrest and center console height.my only complaint with mine . i am 6' and i find myself doing the ganster lean because i feel the console should be a couple inches higher.i would not hesitate to buy the truck but am interested in some aftermarket solution, say a new thicker top for console. good luck

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am 6' tall,195lbs and find my limited seats very comfortable.Not as soft as some seats,but good support and they fit my body structure well.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
One thing I noticed is that the window sill that I put my left elbow on in my Ram is made of soft padded vinyl or something. In the Tundra, there is no sill and it''s made of hard plastic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts