Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just came to me today while filling up my tundra(dam gas prices sky rocketing again). Ive been pretty brand loyal with union76 premium(91 octane) in all of my vehicles but with the gas price the way they are in california.....im considering the other grades. anyway just want to see what others near and far are pumping in there tanks.

BTW my fill up earlier came up to $63.xx for 91 octane:eek:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
yep! i try to gas up when i'm at half way empty. doesn't make me depressed like if i gas it at empty.
I guess you some how managed a bigger tank because 18 gal. (6 gallons still in the tank) puts the needle a little under the 1/4 tank mark on my truck.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Normally 89 and always at Hess.

Try some searches...there are lots of thread on gas octane. Many many debates! :tu:

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
91 octane 76, Chevron or Shell. I only fill it up halfway most of the time as my daily commute is not that far. On average, I spent $20 every 5 days on fuel. Save on weight and I like to keep the fuel fresh. For long drives, I would put more.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Mostly 87 octane, mostly from Exxon-Mobil, sometimes from Costco when the lines are not 20 cars deep. I played with 91 octane, seems different (better), but no data to support.

Prices and mileage, etc for my regular vs premium testing below...

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
My 05 pings on anything less than premium and has done so since it was new, but only under heavy throttle. I'd run regular as per what the manual says is ok to, I just don't think it's healthy for any engine with over 10:1 compression ratio.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I tried different grades of fuel when I first got my Tundra (used in 2003) and came to the conclusion that the slight mileage improvement didn't warrant the additional cost of mid and high octane gasoline. I did find that when available non-ethanol laced gasoline added two MPG so I use that when I can. I haven't had any issues using 87 octane gasoline of any brand here in Minnesota.

Larry

·
Registered
635 Posts
<snip> anyway just want to see what others near and far are pumping in there tanks.

BTW my fill up earlier came up to $63.xx for 91 octane:eek:
Whatever gasbuddy.com says is cheapest in zip 75075. :p
That usually means Quiktrip, Racetrack or Sam's Club. 87 octane. I've
also been running Lucas UCL every other tank. It helps a little in
mileage, but not as much as Lube Control's Fuel Power. I ran out of that & it's a PITA to get. Lucas is sold by the gallon at truck stops.

I do shy away from Shell since they ruined a lot of sending units a few years ago with too much sulphur in the gas. My mudder-in-law was a victim of that little fiasco.

Filled up yesterday for $58.44 from an eighth tank. Mileage was 16.95.
Woohoo, hopefully that means winter gas is gone. :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Whatever gasbuddy.com says is cheapest in zip 75075. :p That usually means Quiktrip, Racetrack or Sam's Club. 87 octane. I've also been running Lucas UCL every other tank. It helps a little in mileage, but not as much as Lube Control's Fuel Power. I ran out of that & it's a PITA to get. Lucas is sold by the gallon at truck stops.

I do shy away from Shell since they ruined a lot of sending units a few years ago with too much sulphur in the gas. My mudder-in-law was a victim of that little fiasco.
Yeah, Shell ruined the sending unit in my Camry :( back then, and even after getting the relacement, the accuracy "fudge factors" were not the same as before :cry:. Net result--less confidence across the whole range in the real amount of gas remaining vs. the indication.:mad:

I haven't done any towing with the Tundra yet, but even under heavy acceleration, I've had no pinging or lack of power while using Regular 87 octane gasoline :). That Camry required 92/93 Premium for best mileage and power, allowed use of 89 octane (very noticeable difference), and 87 was simply not an option. With the price (and price spread between grades) of gas these days, I really appreciate the Tundra's use of Regular :tu: :tu:.

Up until the last couple or so years, I'd always used one of the major name branded gasolines present in this area. However, as gasoline prices rose :td: without a corresponding increase in income :td: :td:, I'd begun taking the advice of proponents of the "XX octane gas is XX octane by government regulation and therefore all the same, so go for what's cheapest" theory :D :rolleyes:. Seemed acceptably reasonable, given that (other than Shell, IIRC) I kept seeing the same "unmarked" delivery trucks :cool: at various brands of stations around the area. I don't know how many jobbers (wholesalers or middle-men) exist here, but there's several independent and brand-affiliated refineries not far away.

Lately, however, the faster prices rise--especially for 87 octane, the narrower the differential price between name- and off-brands. I've begun to shift back to certain name brands of gasoline, due to what I read in another recent thread where I learned about Top Tier Gasolines. Check it out and see if that influences your purchasing decisions. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use 87. I was told at the dealership not to use the high octane because it would burn up the plugs. I'm not a mechanic and would rather use the cheapest gas so that is great advice to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
87 only. QT or CostCo.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
87 proof here at Price Club. It's usually $0.20/gallon cheaper than other stations in my area.

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
Eighty seven octane. No knocks, great power. I buy whatever is cheapest. We're at $2.48 in central WI today, down from $2.59 a day ago. I try not to think about my milage. :cry:

·
Registered
263 Posts
87 most of the time, though ocassionally I'll run a tank of 91 just to keep the injectors clean. A bottle of Gumout or Techron every 5k or so doesn't hurt either.

Chevron, 76, Shell ... sometimes Mobil and Valero ... Never Arco!

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
costco (aloha petroleum) 87 regular.

das all she wants, das all she gets. my tundra is a cheap date. :tu:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts