Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 28' trailer (32' total with tonge) that GVWR is 7000lbs. The dry weight is 5000lbs. I was wondering if anyone else tows a trailer of that weight with their Tundra. I have an 05' Double Cab 4.7L TRD. I am going to add Air Lift to the back and I have a trailer brake and the anti sway bars.

What do you tow?:afro:

·
Registered
917 Posts
That is a bit much to tow safely. I have clocked thousands of miles towing a 20ft TT and I would feel safe up to about 24 ft. Remember towing and payload are dry weights. You add fuel, water, tools, gear, food, beer and passengers and that adds to the total. The trailer makers lie on there weights just like they do on the lengths. I was look at a brochure and it had a trailer length of 35 ft then you go to the specs and it listed the same trailer as 37'10''. Where did the extra almost 3 feet come from?

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I towed a 2008 Rockwood 2605 (27', 5020lbs):

We've since gotten rid of it, and now have a Heartland North Trail 21FBS on order (26.5', about the same weight). The 4.7L pulled the weight fine. It revved on hills, but the nature of the 4.7L is to make its horsepower in the higher RPM bands. That doesn't mean it's working too hard, it just means it's working as designed.

I used a Hensley Arrow hitch with the previous trailer, and will use a ProPride hitch with the new trailer. These pivot-projecting hitches provide for fantastic stability and control, especially in bad weather or during evasive maneuvers.

- Chris

·
Registered
756 Posts
That is a bit much to tow safely. I have clocked thousands of miles towing a 20ft TT and I would feel safe up to about 24 ft. Remember towing and payload are dry weights. You add fuel, water, tools, gear, food, beer and passengers and that adds to the total. The trailer makers lie on there weights just like they do on the lengths. I was look at a brochure and it had a trailer length of 35 ft then you go to the specs and it listed the same trailer as 37'10''. Where did the extra almost 3 feet come from?

The extra 3 feet is from the front of the 35' box to the edge of the hitch, where the tanks and batterys go. The dry weight is always 5-700 pounds light depending on options like a spare tire and a/c, awnings, gas, water, all add up too. I tow a 25' Rockwood 2505. Tows like a dream. My box is 25' long but the trailer is almost 28'. Keep in mind the total weight of EVERYTHING you the truck the dog clothes pots pans tp the whole 9 yards is 11,800 pounds. A D/C tundra is around 5400 with gas and a slender driver. 7000 pounds might be ok for a regular cab 2x4 but a DC is several hundred pounds heavier and 4x4 means even less weight to work with. 26' ultra lite maybe a couch slide would be around max I would think. Good luck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The extra 3 feet is from the front of the 35' box to the edge of the hitch, where the tanks and batterys go. The dry weight is always 5-700 pounds light depending on options like a spare tire and a/c, awnings, gas, water, all add up too. I tow a 25' Rockwood 2505. Tows like a dream. My box is 25' long but the trailer is almost 28'. Keep in mind the total weight of EVERYTHING you the truck the dog clothes pots pans tp the whole 9 yards is 11,800 pounds. A D/C tundra is around 5400 with gas and a slender driver. 7000 pounds might be ok for a regular cab 2x4 but a DC is several hundred pounds heavier and 4x4 means even less weight to work with. 26' ultra lite maybe a couch slide would be around max I would think. Good luck.
The trailer in question is a 5th wheel. Made by Forest river. I know how and why they do it. My family has had RV's all of my life and I have had one most of my adult life. The way they do it in a 5er is the brochure will list inside living space and the specs list total length. The reason is sales. The man looks at the numbers and says 35 feet and no longer. Then they go shopping and they look at many RV's well not all play dirty so when you look at a true 35 footer it will seem small compared to a 35ft living space model. The wife says I like this one it just seems bigger. That is why they do it. All TT used to be measured from tongue to bumper but not some measure just the coach. They do the same thing with weight. Brochure weight and delivery weight are two different things. Small things like Microwaves,TV's, propane bottles, batteries,beds, blinds and spare tires dont get weighed and many more items. The units that they really fudge on are the LITE versions.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My owners manual states that my 05 double cab with tow pkg can tow 7000lbs... Anyone else towing that much weight?

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts

In 2007 I had towed the boat from Florida back up to MA, 1,600 miles and the Tundra handled it with no problem at all. Since then, I tow the boat 100 miles from one house to another or 40 miles to the closest boat ramp.

Towing a 6,000lb trailer is a piece of cake with our trucks, properly equipped of course. I can feel the boat back there but as I have Stainless Steel calipers/rotors on every wheel, slowing down/stopping is easy. I did have the brakes go out on the trailer one day and even with NO brakes, the Tundy had no problem stopping the trailer, it took a little more distance but it did it. I also had towed another 3,500lb boat/trailer just this past Sunday with no brakes and that load was even easier to tow/stop.

The 300-HP SuperCharged Verado is awesome for sure.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is what I am looking to tow with my Tundra. Like I said before the GVWR is 7000lbs and my truck is rated for 7000lbs so I will be pushing it. I guess I will have to pack light! The only reason I'm going this big is the price I am getting this trailer for. It from a friend of a friend...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally I think you're going to want to do some mods to your truck. Rear suspension and trailer brakes for sure. Getting it rolling shouldn't be that much of a problem but stopping in an emergency is what could hurt or kill you.

I'd keep an eye on keeping the transmission cool too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
IMG_1629.jpg

I've towed my 85 pickup behind on my 18ft car hauler. Total weight was probably close to 6000lbs. And if you notice in the bed of my truck, I have two 55 gallon drums that were both about 90% full of water for using the powerwasher (also in the bed) on the truck when I was finished making some passes in the mud. It towed just fine down the highways doing about 70. The ebrakes on the trailer sure are nice to have though...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice Dusky! Since we have a boat in this thread I'll post another...

I estimate loaded I am in the 5,000-6,000lb range, and my Tundra pulls like a dream.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might end up getting a different trailer anyways. I do have a trailer brake and rear air bags. Thinking about a lighter trailer now...

·
Registered
474 Posts
24 foot Pace American for the local highschool band. Pace American's website says it weighs 3100 lbs empty. Loaded I'd say it weighs somewhere around 6000lbs. I use a Prodigy brake controller. Keep it out of overdrive and don't let the rpm's bother you and it's happy running 80mph. I use synthetic oil and change it every 10,000 miles. I've had oil analysis done on an oil change that included about 5/600 miles of hard trailer pulling and Blackstone said I could have run the oil farther.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a '03 4.7L Access cab with tow package. I'm towing a 28 ft Dutchmen lite (dry weight 5400lbs.). Entire rig weighs11,040 lbs. Truck weighs 5080 lbs. Trailer load would be 5960 lbs. I use a weight distributing hitch with anti-sway bar on tongue. Max towing capacity per Toyota is 6900 lbs. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts