Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what is recommended for restoring color/shine to black trim such as the bumper pads, mud flaps, etc...

Mine are starting to look a little faded from the beatings the Florida sun hands out.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Just wondering what is recommended for restoring color/shine to black trim such as the bumper pads, mud flaps, etc...

Mine are starting to look a little faded from the beatings the Florida sun hands out.
There is a product call "Back to Black" that you can buy from any auto parts store. It is basically a real thick Armor All and it dresses up the black surfaces nicely. Problem is, it won't last more about more than two rain falls.

There is something else called "Black Wow" that you will have to buy online (and its not cheap compared to Back to Black). It is more like a dye than a color restorer. You have to put it on in several very light coats, but it lasts much longer.

·
I'm just here for the food!
600 Posts
I use a product called Black Wow....it's a silicone based product that withstands a few washings too. It comes in a small bottle, a little pricey but it is very thick and viscous and smells kinda like watermelon, and you only use VERY LITTLE at a time. Put a drop the size of a pea on a regular foam applicator and you can get 1/4 of your mudflap.

This product was actually designed for the Mini Cooper where it has the textured plastic fender trims. This product works well on any matted textured plastic trim. Note: it won't last on smooth surfaces like a bug guard or the black door pillars on our trucks (mines an '05 DC)

there's several youtube clips on the product to show how it's used.

If not that, then another aerosol spray called In and Out works ok too...it's a water based product, so durability isn't as long. If not that, then you can always go with 303. I've used it many a time without any problems.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Poorboy's Trim Restorer gets a lot of good reviews on a lot of detailing sites. Black Wow has also gotten good reviews, although it's pricey. I have never seen a good review for the Mother's Back to Black product. It looks fine until it gets wet, then it streaks all over the paint (my experience when using as a quick fix). Anything you use, I would suggest multiple light "coats" and a light buff after each application (again, based on my experience).

Regarding bug shields and the black vinyl pillars - a little non-abrasive polish (like Meguiar's ColorX for example) works wonders.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
303 Aerospace

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
You can generally find 303 at a local marine store.

·
I'm just here for the food!
600 Posts
Cool, thanks.

Where do you guys buy the Black Wow, Poorboy's or Aerospace 303?
303 can be found locally...Poorboy's and Black Wow are sold through online detailing companies...here's just a few that i know stock them:

PakShak
autogeek
ObsessiveDetail
Detailersdomain

I picked mines up from PakShak just because he's local and saved me from waiting...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Adams VRT is the best I have found.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Best thing i have ever used and will stick by KIWI shoe polish

·
Registered
722 Posts
Aerospace 303 is the real-deal because of it's UV protection properties. My black trim stays looking great because I'll 'shoot-it' with my Duragloss Aquawax as I'm doing the paint.Spray it on,wipe off,then buff. Stainless nerf-bars get 'a shot' too:tu:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Best thing i have ever used and will stick by KIWI shoe polish
What exactly are you using as comparison, here? Please list the products you've tried that were specifically designated as trim dressings that Kiwi shoe polish outperforms.

I'm expecting a rather short list...

·
Registered
823 Posts
All your normal crap that u can fine at your local auto store. Back to black, Griots vinyl and rubber dressing, Pinnacle vinyl and rubber protectant, Sonus total eclipse rubber protectant. I also had a chemist friend of mine make me a silicone base with a little bit of black die in it as well and am sure some other stuff. I have not tryed the 303 everone is now raveing about because i fuger its just like the rest of the crap out there. Hey dont knock the shoe polish till u try it.

Hope this isnt to short of a list for you SIR...:D:angel:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Jared if you want ill ship some of the stuff my chemist friend made for me, Witch is still better then the other stuff i listed but still not as good as shoe polish.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
All your normal crap that u can fine at your local auto store. Back to black, Griots vinyl and rubber dressing, Pinnacle vinyl and rubber protectant, Sonus total eclipse rubber protectant. I also had a chemist friend of mine make me a silicone base with a little bit of black die in it as well and am sure some other stuff. I have not tryed the 303 everone is now raveing about because i fuger its just like the rest of the crap out there. Hey dont knock the shoe polish till u try it.

Hope this isnt to short of a list for you SIR...:D:angel:
Nobody is doubting the Kiwi trick, we are just trying to get a basis for comparison against what you have tried before. No need to make smart-a remarks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
What happens when you brush up against the shoe polish covered piece?

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
if I have some liquid clear tire shiner around I will use that, but be careful not to let it get on the vehicle its very greasy and hard to get off I just use it for plastic, essentially any brand will work the wet slick stuff.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts