Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 4WD 07 Tacoma Double Cab that has the SR5 and tow package installed. I wasn't too concerned about having the TRD package since I figure I could just do after market parts that would be better. But just what does the TRD package have?

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you want all of it, it would be quite expensive (and for some items nearly impossible) to install after the fact.
It contains the following (some of it is also part of the SR5 package):

Off-Road Package #1
Includes cruise control, sliding rear window with privacy glass, chrome grille surround and rear bumper, color-keyed front bumper and overfenders, metallic tone I/P, upgrade fabric, leather wheel and shifter, sunvisors with mirrors and extensions, SR5 badging, driver's seat lumbar support, off-road suspension, Bilstein shocks, 16" x 7" alloy wheels, P265/70R16 tires, locking rear differential, limited slip differential, fog lamps, skid plate (engine/transfer case), 115V/400W deck power point, sport seats and TRD Off-Road graphics. NOT AVAILABLE with PY, SL, VD.

or:

Sport Package #1
Includes sport suspension, Bilstein shocks, 17" x 7.5" alloy wheels, P265/65R17 tires, limited slip differential, 115V/400W power point, fog lamps, cruise control, hood scoop, color-keyed exterior sliding rear window with privacy glass, sport seats with driver's side lumbar and TRD sport graphics. NOT AVAILABLE with SL, VD, VF.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked up some of the information on their web-site. The shocks, skid plates, wheels and tires can obviously be added/upgraded. I wonder how difficult it would be to add a limited slip rear differential. I had that in my Ford Ranger, although I don't really know what good it did.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Basically speaking the SR5 package is around $1500 (MSRP) and TRD is around $3000 (give or take a few bucks depending on TRD Sport or Off Road packages).

So what extras do you get for the added $1500 above and beyond the SR5?

TRD OFF ROAD

1) Sport seats with Driver Lumbar
2) 115V/400W deck power point
3) Skid plate (engine/transfer case)
4) Off-road suspension
5) Bilstein shocks
6) 16" x 7" alloy wheels
7) P265/70R16 tires
8) Locking rear differential

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me ask, what good is a locking rear differential? I meanm, the truck already has 4WD. As I said earlier, I had a limited slip rear diff on my Ford Ranger and never knew if it did anything, but maybe it did.

As I recall, the locking rear diff has a button to activate it on the dash. So, adding it afterwards would be difficult. What about changing over to a limited slip?

Just curious. Obviously, the other equipment can be added (i.e. suspension and skid plates). I won't miss the AC outlet in the back, although it would be nice. The only other thing I kind of wish was different about my truck is a manual transmission. But the warden doesn't drive stick and on long trips it would be nice to let her drive for a bit while I play with the radio equipment I'm going to install (Yaesu FT-100 and FT-8900 amateur radio).

Unfortunately, all of that will have to take a back seat for a couple of weeks. This morning some dork turned left right in front of me and I plowed right into him. Smashed up the whole front end. It looks all cosmetic, fortunately. He didn't get off so lucky...the right front suspension on his Trailblazer is all messed up. The whole thing is pushed inward at the top so that the wheel is at a 45 degree angle, not to mention his fender and door are messed up. His had to be towed, I could at least drive mine away although the driver side front tire rubs when making turns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let me ask, what good is a locking rear differential? I meanm, the truck already has 4WD. As I said earlier, I had a limited slip rear diff on my Ford Ranger and never knew if it did anything, but maybe it did.

As I recall, the locking rear diff has a button to activate it on the dash. So, adding it afterwards would be difficult. What about changing over to a limited slip?

Just curious. Obviously, the other equipment can be added (i.e. suspension and skid plates). I won't miss the AC outlet in the back, although it would be nice. The only other thing I kind of wish was different about my truck is a manual transmission. But the warden doesn't drive stick and on long trips it would be nice to let her drive for a bit while I play with the radio equipment I'm going to install (Yaesu FT-100 and FT-8900 amateur radio).

Unfortunately, all of that will have to take a back seat for a couple of weeks. This morning some dork turned left right in front of me and I plowed right into him. Smashed up the whole front end. It looks all cosmetic, fortunately. He didn't get off so lucky...the right front suspension on his Trailblazer is all messed up. The whole thing is pushed inward at the top so that the wheel is at a 45 degree angle, not to mention his fender and door are messed up. His had to be towed, I could at least drive mine away although the driver side front tire rubs when making turns.
Should you find yourself in a situation where you have one rear tire with no traction (ice, mud, off the ground) all the power will go to THAT tire. This will still be the case in 4wd, but your front wheels may help to unstuck you. The locking rear will bind together both rear wheels, and when you have one wheel with no traction, power will still be going to BOTH wheels. The limited slip works the same way, but is not AS effective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, but here's the big question...is any of this something that can be added aftermarket? Or am I pretty much out of luck on that?

Heck, the truck might already have it on there for all I know...I don't remember all the items that were installed and I didn't keep the list sheet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Okay, but here's the big question...is any of this something that can be added aftermarket? Or am I pretty much out of luck on that?

Heck, the truck might already have it on there for all I know...I don't remember all the items that were installed and I didn't keep the list sheet.
There are lots of options for locking differentials... ARB makes an air-locker set up, Eaton make an electronic activated model... I'm sure there are others. Cost is in the $800 ball park. They aren't difficult to install, but you need a little bit of smarts to get the proper lash adjustments.

You can get auto-locking or limited-slip differentials as well... fairly cheap (start around $300). Again, not too crazy a do-it-yourself, but a bit more hassel as these kits usually require using a lot more of your old parts to put back together (hence the cheaper price).

Each set up has it's own quirks... auto-lockers can make noise, engage harshly or not at all... limited slips all have their own limits (ha ha)... air or e-lockers give you 100% control of the diff, but are most useful in only specific situations (more agressive off-roading).

Personally, my Taco has the limited slip, and it works great. However, I would have prefered the locker in some situations (not available in the DC for some reason) as I'm often on mountain roads where one wheel is in the snow, and one on the dirt... especially in the spring when everyone is trying to be the first one up the mountain.

But, the l/s works great on the pavement, you don't spin one tire going around corners where there is dirt on the inside, it tows better when starting out on gravel, and if you want to have fun you can always get the back-end to fly out with the right amount of gas.

The one disadvantage of the l/s here, is on icy roads an open diff will break loose later than a l/s... the l/s is just doing it's job, but when it is working you can loose traction to BOTH wheels at the same time... fun when you are playing in the dirt, not so good on an icy highway (which is why 4x4 is always on in the winter here...)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I'll check with the dealer to see if it was already installed as an option...I somehow doubt it, although maybe it's there. They might even be able to recommend someone that can put a limited slip on there. I think that's probably all I really need for now. Then I just need to accessorize the beast...a lift, suspension, skid plates...and I like the blue LED mod someone did to their instrument cluster. I'm handy with the soldering iron having worked in the electronics industry for several years (Qualcomm) when we still lived in San Diego. I'm just not too sure how to get in the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts