Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am asking this question for a co workers brother ran out of gas, does the electic motor still operate for low speed to get him to gas station. His did not work.

Thanks Larry

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
run out of gas in what? normally you get out and push. :p

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Hello, I am asking this question for a co workers brother ran out of gas, does the electic motor still operate for low speed to get him to gas station. His did not work.

Thanks Larry
No, when you run out of fuel and the engine is not able to start the HV ECU is aware of this and shuts the whole system down so no damage is done.
We disabled the HV portion of a 2004 Prius and were only able to run the vehicle on HV battery power for less than 1 minute, before the HV ECU shut everything down. It cannot be made to work any other way.

If you run out of fuel, get out and push or call a friend or tow truck to bring fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Speaking from first hand experience, I ran out off gas on a trip back from Cali. I wont get into why the car ran out of gas when it still had a gallon in the tank. but it will travel a VERY short distance on the battery alone, DO NOT try and go any further as this will truely make it difficult to get it started again.... I pulled over and was on uneven ground (pitched to the right) (I also ran the car as far as I possible could.... Again DO NOT do this) After getting some gas and putting it in the tank the car would not start... in fact would not do anything...(but if I still had some battery left I could have pulled up on the road and the gas would have gotten picked up by the pump) but alas I had to push the car back up on the road to level ground and push that button about 100 times for it to finally start...after an hour on the side of road I was going again...

DO NOT RUN YOUR PRIUS IF YOU RUN OUT OF GAS it is not worth the trouble I was 3 miles from the exit it went about 1 mile and would not go any further.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've 'run out of gas' twice. Actually as noted above the vehicle wasn't truly out of gas its just that the computer gives the driver a kick in the shins and powers down as if you were out of gas.

It's potentially damaging to drive only on the battery without any ICE inputs or assistance thus the computer will take away your ability to drive normally if you get very very low in gas. In this situation you can get off the highway or go to the next station ( very close ~1-2 miles ) on reduced power.

If you can get to a station and then fill up normally everything just goes back to standard operating conditions.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
run out of gas in what? normally you get out and push. :p
When I used to run out of gas, I would usually get slapped, though a few times I got lucky. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts