Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was chatting with friends about engines that have stood out among different makes of trucks. I guess there are things to be said about Hemis, Allisons or Tritons....or even Nissan's Endurance engine. Toyota has put out some great powerplants over the years, too. I know the the 3.4 Liter V6 is one of Toyota's most reliable ever, but I know that engine isn't manufactured any more. I think the Toyota V6 is now a 4.0 liter and that is the standard engine for the new Tundra Reg. and Doublecab. I can't say from experience, but I would think the 4.7 V8 might be considered one of Toyota's best, too. After all, it's been used in both Lexus lines and Tundra both for years. I haven't researched any TSBs on this engine, but I've never heard anything bad about it.

I think a lot of folks are waiting to see how the 5.7 works out. Seems well designed and researched. I guess we'll know in a few years.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think a lot of folks are waiting to see how the 5.7 works out. Seems well designed and researched. I guess we'll know in a few years.[/QUOTE said:
I hope it's the new 5.7L V8:D, because that's what I got under my hood. The 4.7L V8 has been a very reliable engine and has served Toyota well ever since it was introduced a few years ago. You can't go wrong with 32 valves and dual over head cams in the 4.7L V8:tu:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Whatever was in those little Toyota trucks back in the late 1970's and early 1980's was awesome. If only the bodies of those trucks would last half as long as those engines.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever was in those little Toyota trucks back in the late 1970's and early 1980's was awesome. If only the bodies of those trucks would last half as long as those engines.
Yeah, I remember those. I called them R-engines because whatever engine number it was was followed by the letter "R." My dad had a Celica with a 20R engine, whatever that was. I know it was a 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I hope it's the new 5.7L V8:D, because that's what I got under my hood. The 4.7L V8 has been a very reliable engine and has served Toyota well ever since it was introduced a few years ago. You can't go wrong with 32 valves and dual over head cams in the 4.7L V8:tu:
I had the 4.7 in my 2000 Tundra back in October of 99 so it's been out for at least that long. I believe the 4.7 in the Lexi brand is aluminum block vs. the steel in the Toy brand so completely different animals.

I've never had a problem really w/ ANY Toy engine including the 3.2 V6, 3 4.7L V8s and the new 4.0L V6 in my FJ but I gotta say my favorite for sure is this 5.7L!!!:tu: in my new Tunny

·
Registered
699 Posts
the 22RE best ever, my old man has 430,000 kms on his and has done nothing more then regular maintnace. :ts: Toyota!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,613 Posts
the 22RE best ever, my old man has 430,000 kms on his and has done nothing more then regular maintnace. :ts: Toyota!
Preach it brutha... the 22RE can't be beat. My 94 had one in it and my friend had one with almost 300k and it never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Preach it brutha... the 22RE can't be beat. My 94 had one in it and my friend had one with almost 300k and it never skipped a beat.
i'm trying to find a 80's model toyota single cab 4x4 with the 22re motor in it right now!!! i figure a few hours on regular maintanence and some work on the transmission and transfer case and the thing will be practically brand new!!

also taking off the bed and shaving off a few inches of the frame behind the leaf springs, fabbing up a double tire carrier on a swing over the rear axle and having a truck box mount positioned where i can put the box where it should if the bed was still there...

should look really mean, and be very practical for trial riding... planning on a 4 inch lift, some front fender shaving, 33's and lower gears with a limited slip up front....

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have two of them in my back yard. the frame on my dads is rotten so he bought a donar truck and were going to swap engine and drivetrain onto the one with the good frame. should be fun

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another vote for the 22RE! I have my dear Pops 1989 truck sitting in my drive way right now. I start it up and drive it around the neighborhood every weekend. :tu:

·
Registered
552 Posts
22RE keeps going and going...

·
natural mystic
341 Posts
22r...less electical stuff:D ... oh and the 2jzgte

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
The 4 Cylinder 20R and 22R are by far Toyota's best engine of all time! There have been reports of these engines with over 600k miles on them with no rebuilds. I had a Celica with a 20R that had over 150k miles and the all 4 cylinders had a compression of 150. The 20R and 22R engine was in the Trucks from 1976 to 1995 and also was found in the Celica's, Corona's, and 4Runners. the 20R and 22R is the equivalent of the Chevy 350.

·
Registered
548 Posts
2F, 3F, and 1FzE in the land cruisers.
22re in the old pickups
4.7 in the tundra.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The 20R/22R and all the variants of such(22RE/22RET/ETC). That motor just couldn't and still can't be killed. One of the best designs ever. Tough and dependable. You can practically be guaranteed that when you hit the ignition, it was going to fire. :tu:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well they make many good engines such as the 4.7L BUT if I had to choose one for dependability that has stood the test of time it would have to be the good old 22R:tu: My first two Toyota trucks had 22R and a 22RE engines, not much power BUT very good engines.:tu:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I had the 4.7 in my 2000 Tundra back in October of 99 so it's been out for at least that long. I believe the 4.7 in the Lexi brand is aluminum block vs. the steel in the Toy brand so completely different animals.
The 2UZ engines you find in LX470 and GX470 models are the same as the 2UZ engines you find in Tundras,all are iron blocks.
The 1UZ (4.0) and 3UZ (4.3) are aluminum block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well they make many good engines such as the 4.7L BUT if I had to choose one for dependability that has stood the test of time it would have to be the good old 22R:tu: My first two Toyota trucks had 22R and a 22RE engines, not much power BUT very good engines.:tu:
Not much power, fooy. Back in high school my first vehicle was an 85 toyota pickup with the 22r and 4spd manual. I could outrun a friend that had a 96 V-6 mustang. Granted, my launching and shifting skills were much better than his, i think it'd still be a good race if he was a better driver. Sold it with 199,000 never doing anything but normal maintance. But in reality, it's not in the same league as the current tacomas in regards to power.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Without a doubt the 2JZ (GE or GTE) that is found in the Supra, IS300, SC300 and a few other cars. A 3.0L I6 that is capable of over 1,000whp with a stock bottom end is something truly special. I could go on and on with reasons but I think most people have heard them all.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Without a doubt the 2JZ (GE or GTE) that is found in the Supra, IS300, SC300 and a few other cars. A 3.0L I6 that is capable of over 1,000whp with a stock bottom end is something truly special. I could go on and on with reasons but I think most people have heard them all.
Thank you! (And Stealth for mentioning it earlier in the thread) The 2JZ is a great platform motor. One day I shall own one and beat all of my buddies with 4G63's :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts