Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be towing a dual car trailer weighing 7000 loaded next month on a 3000 mile round trip. I am going from RI to NE and back, so most of the driving will be very flat with the exception of 150 miles or so. I am wondering if anyone else with a 4.6 has towed a significant load over a good haul. what sort of mpg might I expect? I hope to beat 11 (my friends mpg towing this setup)

so, what have you towed with your 4.6L and how was your mpg?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I tow a Nash 22H travel trailer with my 2010 DCSB 4.6L 4WD 4.10s. The trailer weighs in at 6000 lbs when fully loaded, about 750 lbs of that is on the hitch. I run with an equal-i-zer hitch set up and T3 brake controller. Currently I have air bags installed but am using the stock shocks and stock michelin tires. I have towed this set up about 2000 miles total so far. The 4.6L does exceptionally well with the load in my opinion. I have towed over several 7% grades and can remain at decent speed (50 -55 in 3rd) without strain or flooring it at all, trans and engine temps have never moved from normal. We can run all day long down the interstate, using 4th at 2400 rpm and when conditions are right we can s drive it into 5th for long stretches (hopefully increasing mpg a little this way). I have not had a single issue with power, sway or braking. I always use the s-drive when towing and have been able to merge and do whatever I needed (though I bet the 5.7 would be even better!). The truck tows somewhat better than my 5.3 Silverado with this same trailer, main difference is slighlty better stability and the 4.6 is much happier sustaining higher rpms on climbs and holding speed. Gas mileage towing is averaging 10.9 right now (I generally never tow faster than 60 - 62 mph though). All in all, I am very pleased, but would not want to tow much more than this with the truck. I would say that 7000 lbs would be my top end with a 4.6, however car haulers are more aerodynamic than a travel trailer so you should do fine....good luck with your tow. I will be interested to hear your experiences, particullarly your mpg, so please post after your tow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback! so far you are the only person I have found with any substantial 4.6 towing history.
like you said, the car trailer should be more aerodynamic than your travel trailer, so I am feeling good about seeing 11mpg+ on my trip. My trip will also be faily flat for 80% of the way, so that should help as well.

I will be sure to post here with my trip results in early May. It seems people give the 4.6 alot less credit than it is due.

·
Registered
710 Posts
...main difference is slighlty better stability and the 4.6 is much happier sustaining higher rpms on climbs and holding speed.
When you say "better stability", is everything else configured the same? I'm towing 7k camper (loaded) w/ a 5.3/4-spd/3.73 Sierra and have wondered how the Tundra would compare w/ regard to stability/safety. I think that one suspension pkg to the next can make a noticeable difference, plus differences in WD hitch, etc., so I'm curious if you think the truck itself is more stable for some reason? When you say the 4.6 is much happier, are you referring to the lower rpms the 6-spd affords (which is almost identical to the GM 6-spd), or is it more the dual-VVT being quieter/smoother at high rpms?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Slightly more stable, I think mainly due to the trapozoidal springs and weight of the truck plus possibly heavier front springs and a bigger front sway bar than the chev, it seems to be less affected by wind and semis - though the chevy was fine too. The GMT 900 chassis does have better road feel in the steering though (due to the rack and pinion).

Regarding the 4.6 being happier at higher rpms, I would say in comparison to the 5.3 it revs more freely due mainly to the overhead cam design of the engine rather than vvt. The 6 speed is helpful also, though when towing I generally use 4th and 5th with 3rd reserved for steep climbs. The 4 spd in the chev used 3rd and 4th with 2nd for steep climbing, so it is similar in practice. Big diff is that the tundra trans can work like a four speed with a 4:10 rear end in the first four gears and still have two overdrives for highway. All in all both are great trucks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like you are going to the Lincoln ProSolo? Good luck with your tow, I've subscribed so I can see how this works out for you. I'm towing to San Diego next week for the first time so I'm curious though I do have the 5.7, there will be more hills to deal with and a 5000ft change in elevation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
never made it to lincoln but towing locally 100 miles each way ive been averaging 14.8mpg towing at 70mph

my next long tows will be to the DC pro, Toledo pro and then finally to lincoln for nats.
the truck has been towing my 5k load like a dream.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lymerock what are you hauling on that trailer for autocross, a miata per chance?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I towed 4500lb race truck plus over 1000lbs of tools in the bed and 5 adults in the cab with my 4.6 through the california high desert mountains. pulls like a dream, plenty of power, never had to floor it to maintain 60mph up grades even. mpg sucked as expected. 9 in hilly terrain, 11 flat

im also planning on pulling a 6-7k toyhauler with zero hesitation. my buddy even drove back with the race truck and he was flat impressed with how fast the 4.6 was with that big of a load. it can pretty much do what a 5.7 can, just a lot slower lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lymerock what are you hauling on that trailer for autocross, a miata per chance?
yep, a white 95 miata R
was that a random guess or do you know me from another forum :cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
yep, a white 95 miata R
was that a random guess or do you know me from another forum :cool:
Nice, an R edition at that. I picked up somewhere, not sure how now, that you had a miata. Remembered it because I am also a miata fan. I have had four, a red 90 base, black & tan C package 93, black 97 base and currently an 08 Galaxy Grey PRHT Sport. All of these cars have been modded to one degree or another. I have yet to autocross the 08, but I will. Great to meet another Tundra/Miata Guy, I would suspect we are a rare breed, really one extreme to another, keeps things interesting.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its a small world with Miatas. I ran CS/CSP from 01-06 and ran DSP in 2003 Nationals. I still autocross and track them on occasion since I'm still friends with many Miata owners. Great cars, only sold my 99 because I wanted to try Super Stock for a couple years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just used mine to tow a 34 foot camper from Ohio to Disney World and back. The camper weighs 5,575 dry + a couple hundred pounds in the bed + my wife + 4 kids + myself. The trip was almost exactly 2,000 miles. The truck did an amazing job. I used S mode and would switch back and fourth mostly between 5 and 4. In the mountains I used 3 most of the time. I was able to average 11mpg in the mountains. Overall I could not be more pleased with how the truck performed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Carbonlite Weekend Warrior 22 footer.GVW was right at 5545 lbs.We picked the trailer up in Mesquite Nevada,came thru the Hoover Dam area into Sedona Arizona where we stayed 2 nights.We then ran thru New Mexico into Albuquerque then home into North Texas.Needless to say we covered a lot of different terrain.In the mountain areas I ran mostly in 4th gear at 60-65 mph. There were a few long 7 degree grades which put me into 3rd gear running at 52-55 mph.On the flat stretches we would run in 5th gear easily.My only other experiences towing were my 18 ft Ranger boat which weighs in at around 2700 lbs loaded. I dont have any other experience pulling a travel trailer so I cant make any comparisons but I must say I was pleased at how it performed.My truck is a 2010 dc TRD 4x4 with the 4.6.I could have bought the same truck with the 5.7, but I must say that I am a fan of small displacement high output motors,which I consider the 4.6 to be.I recall in my youth having the respect of a few big block drivers when my small block 71 Camaro showed up to take a trip down the street. If the opportunity comes and the super charger becomes available for this motor I will for sure jump on it.As stated I love small displacement motors and am very pleased with this one.:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
To me these are very interesting posts from both edlegault and 2010TRD, both posts mirror my experiences towing with the 4.6, the more I tow with it, the more impressed I am with how capable it really is for such a small displacement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back in september I towed my car to SCCA Nationals in Lincoln Nebraska. The trip covered 3800miles. my 15' open car trailer with the miata on it weighs around 5000lbs. I had an additional 750lbs of gear in the back.
running with a/c on 100% of the time and averaging 78mph, my fuel economy was 13.34mpg for the trip which used 283gallons of fuel.
towing wise there was always plenty of power and gearing to stay at a constant 80+ up any hill. I left it in S mode and never had to shift lower than 4th to maintain speed.

The best driven tank was 14.78mpg and the worst was 10.9

I couldnt be happier with how the truck performed. Ive put 21k miles on it in the past year and almost all of them have been towing and have had zero issues so far.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just used mine to tow a 34 foot camper from Ohio to Disney World and back. The camper weighs 5,575 dry + a couple hundred pounds in the bed + my wife + 4 kids + myself. The trip was almost exactly 2,000 miles. The truck did an amazing job. I used S mode and would switch back and fourth mostly between 5 and 4. In the mountains I used 3 most of the time. I was able to average 11mpg in the mountains. Overall I could not be more pleased with how the truck performed.

Nice! Did the same trip with my truck and the 5.7L. My question is how did you get 4 kids in with the wife? You have a front bench or something? I've got two now and worried I'll have to get something else if I have 2 more kids.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts