Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the factory head unit in my 2005 DC Tundra (w/ JBL) and would like recommendations. Right now, I've got a Clarion DXZ645 in my Civic and have been very pleased with it. This replaced my Alpine which I also liked but it failed on me and Alpine's customer service wasn't too friendly on helping me get it fixed.

It seems that you get more bang for your buck with a Clarion (and twice the warranty of an Alpine) but what head unit(s) would you recommend?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I've got an Alpine IVA-W200 installed in my 06 now and it does everything that it is supposed to do very well. I used to compete with the higher end Clarion units and had very good luck with them. I've had good luck with Pioneer also.

My recommendation would be to either page through someplace like Crutchfield and give the forum some brands/models that have the features that you want or give us more information on what you want the head to do. (play just CD's, indash video, play MP3's, I-pod interface, etc)

An example is when I chose my head unit, I wanted indash video, optical out, remote, double DIN, expandability, the ability to control an outboard digital processor, etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try pacparts dot com for replacement alpine parts if the dealer won't up to snuff.
Doug

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've always been a big Eclipse fan, great sounding HU's, strong preouts, generally pretty good processing options. Pioneer has always done me well too, good HU's, just everyone has them. I've never been a huge Alpine fan, but they do make a pretty solid product. I don't care for the newer Clarion stuff, but my older 9575z was one of my favorite HU's of all time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't had an Eclipse before but have always heard good things about them -- I'll need to take a look.

So if you install an aftermarket deck, do the steering wheel audio controls then cease to work? I have to admit, I've grown to love that feature :) But not enough to have to live with that deck forever.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a Kenwood 6019 double din Nav/DVD player. Its awesome and on sale!!! Direct fit, no modification and even uses factory bolts to put it in :tu:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So to those of you who have replaced your head units, do your steering wheel volume controls still work or are they dead as soon as you swap out the HU?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
So to those of you who have replaced your head units, do your steering wheel volume controls still work or are they dead as soon as you swap out the HU?

Thanks!
I had the same question and asked a friend of mine at a high end audio shop and he told me that when I replace my factory head unit with an aftermarket one the steering wheel controls will work I didn't get in depth with him about how he would do it I just know it can be done and I was happy with that answer

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Kenwood 6019 double din Nav/DVD player. Its awesome and on sale!!! Direct fit, no modification and even uses factory bolts to put it in :tu:
sounds like you have a pretty nice sound system I'm sure it sounds great

by the way I like your security system very practical and to the point I have a Desert Eagle .44 cal polished,taurus .44 Raging Bull,taurus 9mm and a S&W .38 and a few shot guns I'll tell I have too many hobbys at least that's what my wife says (mustangs,guns,football,rc cars and fish aquariums) what does she know

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
To answer your question, P.I.E and other manufacturers make interfaces to interface steering wheel controls with aftermarket head units. I don't have controls on my wheel so it was a non-issue for me. However, there are quite a few threads on this board as well as others that will be able to give you specific part numbers and suppliers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts