Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mt owners manual sez 100,000 miles b4 a engine coolant change (antifreeze) - seems kinda long.
Is that correct-

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't trust the users manual when it come to intervals?

Coolant change should be done every 60K miles (flush).
Fluids (ATF, gear oils) every 30K miles (flush).
Brake fluid every 2 yrs/30K miles (flush).
Engine oil every 6 months/5000 miles.
PS flush every 30K miles (flush).

This is what I follow with my vehicles and it has rewarded me handsomely with low maintenence costs over the years.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Don't trust the users manual when it come to intervals?

Coolant change should be done every 60K miles (flush).
Fluids (ATF, gear oils) every 30K miles (flush).
Brake fluid every 2 yrs/30K miles (flush).
Engine oil every 6 months/5000 miles.
PS flush every 30K miles (flush).

This is what I follow with my vehicles and it has rewarded me handsomely with low maintenence costs over the years.
This vehicle has SUPER LONG LIFE COOLANT.
This is also a silicate free fluid. It should be ok for 100k miles.

The red is Long Life Coolant. 30k

The Pink is Super Long Life coolant. 100k
Premixed Super Long Life Coolant

Given its excellent anti-boiling and anti-freezing properties this coolant is well suited for use in all seasons particularly in countries such as Australia where the climate can vary dramatically. For optimum performance, have the coolant replaced at intervals in accordance with your Service & Warranty Handbook. This will ensure that corrosive particles don't get a chance to accumulate thereby keeping your cooling system operating efficiently.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
100k miles is just fine as the the Toyota Interval suggests. I trust Toyotas recomendations 99% of the time. But may be tailored to suit extreme conditions. I check my cooloant with a coolant testor over the years. The coolant properties never go bad over the miles unless yu dilute it with water and other stuff:td: . It just gets dirty with sediment and cloudy. That's why it generally needs to be changed at the correct intervals..

The pink is the O/E fill. Of course if yu need to do other radiator, thermostat, hose replacements etc. And one needs to drain antifreeze coolant in the process, then I would refill with new Super long life Pink.

Toyota in years past allowed for 60K intervals with the Long Life Red.

It has been superseded currently on all new Toys and Lexus'.

LT:) .

Attachments

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
100k miles is just fine as the the Toyota Interval suggests. I trust Toyotas recomendations 99% of the time. But may be tailored to suit extreme conditions. I check my cooloant with a coolant testor over the years. The coolant properties never go bad over the miles unless yu dilute it with water and other stuff:td: . It just gets dirty with sediment and cloudy. That's why it generally needs to be changed at the correct intervals..

The pink is the O/E fill. Of course if yu need to do other radiator, thermostat, hose replacements etc. And one needs to drain antifreeze coolant in the process, then I would refill with new Super long life Pink.

Toyota in years past allowed for 60K intervals with the Long Life Red.

It has been superseded currently on all new Toys and Lexus'.

LT:) .
Well stated :tu:

I live in the Desert, lots of dust and heat, EXTREME CONDITIONS. The Toy Super Long life coolant has been fine up to and past 100K. Like LT said stick to Toyota recommendation 99% of the time and you will be :tu: .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts