Toyota Tundra Forums banner

What is the best way to run Power and Ground?

5K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  keninsb 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to install a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT with HD Radio, XM Tuner and Back Up camera in my '08 Tundra CrewMax. I am just curious how others have installed their HU's and accessories. What power, ground and ACC line did you tap in to? Is it OK to use the same power/ground/ACC for the HU and the HD Radio and XM unit? Also, does anyone know if there is a REVERSE indicator wire behind the stok HU or do I have to tap into the back up camera wiring in the overhead console?
I REALLY appreciate any tips and input.
Thanks,
Ken

#2 ·
I just used the radio harness that came with my new pioneer unit. As for the reverse wire I tapped into it in the passenger kick panel. I believe it is the lowest blue wire, just do a search and you will come up with the diagram. Some people have tapped into the reverse light wires.

#3 ·
Buy a metra or scosche wiring harness for your truck and connect that up to the harness that came with your Avic. As red4rr said, I connected into the blue wire in lower passenger side kick panel. Do a little research to make sure your tapping into the correct one. Here are a few links that I found helpful:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/180130-pioneer-avic-f700bt-install-help/

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/167010-dnx9140-install-and-review/

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/au...on/1747-pioneer-avic-z2-nav-install-lots.html

I think the last one has info about the reverse wire.

-Wes

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice and the links.
I do have a Metra install kit with the wiring harness. It does have an input for 12v+. Ground, ACC and AMP turn on. Funny, but there is no wire for illumination? Does anyone know which wire on the factory harness is for illumination?
My main concern as far as power and ground was for the accessories (XM, B/U Camera and HD Radio). Is there any problem connecting all of these items items to the same power and ground?
Thanks again,
Ken

#6 ·
Thanks Red4rr and Wes. I am using a different tpe of Metra connector though (the TYTO-01). This kit uses the 20 pin connector and RCA jacks so that the JBL amp can be used with the aftermarket HU, so not sure if there is an illumination wire in the 20 pin connector or not. I spoke to Tech Support at Metra and they said that there is no illum wire on the 20 pin connector, so I guess I will have to run it from the dimmer switch or something.
Another note about the TYTO-01: It has a 20 pin connector that mates up to the factory 20 pin, but many of the pins are not installed on the adapter side. I also purchased a new product from Metra called the ASWC (steering wheel control interface) needs to connect to wires on the 20 pin factory connector. Metra would not sell me individual pins to add to their 20 pin connector, but they said that the 70-8113 is another 20 pin connector that I can swipe some pins/wires from and install them on the TYOT-01 so I don't have to tap in to the factory wire any where. Confusing I know, but hopefully the end result will be that most all wires will run to the 20 pin (with the exception of illum and reverse) in case I ever want to reinstall the factory HU.
Wes (if you are still reading!) do you know if it is ok to run the ground and 12v+ from the XM, BU camera and HD radio to the same as the HU?
Thanks again,
Ken

#7 ·
I see, you're having to use the JBL connector so the illumination is a bit different from my standard connector. I know your reverse camera is a very small electrical load (probably mA's). It appears that your Avic has a max current draw of 10A, XM is 2A max, and your HD Radio is also 2A max (combined maximum current draw of 14A for all components). I would venture to say that you will not see anywhere near the max current draw numbers and I believe on my SR5, the constant 12V headunit fuse is 15A. Ideally, you wouldn't want to exceed 80% of your fuse rating as continuous but, like I said, I'm doubtful you would ever see those current levels from the equipment. Bottom line, if it were my truck, I would use all the proper fuses and run the components off my headunit +12v wire. From what I recall, the 12V wire was a decent gauge too (12-14 awg??). I am engineer but still take my advice fwiw.

-Wes

#8 ·
I see, you're having to use the JBL connector so the illumination is a bit different from my standard connector. I know your reverse camera is a very small electrical load (probably mA's). It appears that your Avic has a max current draw of 10A, XM is 2A max, and your HD Radio is also 2A max (combined maximum current draw of 14A for all components). I would venture to say that you will not see anywhere near the max current draw numbers and I believe on my SR5, the constant 12V headunit fuse is 15A. Ideally, you wouldn't want to exceed 80% of your fuse rating as continuous but, like I said, I'm doubtful you would ever see those current levels from the equipment. Bottom line, if it were my truck, I would use all the proper fuses and run the components off my headunit +12v wire. From what I recall, the 12V wire was a decent gauge too (12-14 awg??). I am engineer but still take my advice fwiw.

-Wes
Wes: Thanks so much for the info. Now I know how I am going to proceed. My last truck (an '02 Tundra AC) had some serious alternator noise after installing an Eclipse HU, speakers, sub, and two amps so I was a little leary about the connections. Just wanted to make sure I did this one right!
Thanks again,
Ken

#9 ·
OK, here is a tip for eBay buyers out there. I bought the Metra dash fit kit (8220HG) and the amp interface (TYTO-01) from seller "chozentoo". As you can see from the listing here, the TYTO-01 is mentioned several times as the parts shipping with this kit. Turns out, they decided to substitute another part made by PIE (TOY20-JS1). After checking the pins and wire colors, things did not add up. Then I noticed that the part was incorrect and listed the Tundra covered only from '03 to '07.
I contacted the seller asking for a partial refund for the PIE unit, but they advised me that their listing stated that " items may come as Metra or what ever is available". Nice. Unfortunately, I had already left pos feedback for this seller.
Anyway, just wanted to pass this along to advise people to avoid this seller.
BTW I am no rookie to eBay. I have a feedback score of 1177 and have obtained Power Seller status several times.
Buyer Beware.
Ken

#10 ·
Finally wired up everything today. Thanks to the old Multi Meter, I DID find an illumination/dimmer wire on one of the 20 pin connector (K4) that goes to the stock HU. It was a small orange wire. Seems to work great.
There were also two other connectors that went to the stock HU. The vehicle speed sensor wire is a white wire on pin number 4 of the 16 pin connector (K9).
Anyway, glad I was able to find the and didn't have to fish wires through the dash.
Ken

#11 ·
Finally wired up everything today. Thanks to the old Multi Meter, I DID find an illumination/dimmer wire on one of the 20 pin connector (K4) that goes to the stock HU. It was a small orange wire. Seems to work great.
There were also two other connectors that went to the stock HU. The vehicle speed sensor wire is a white wire on pin number 4 of the 16 pin connector (K9).
Anyway, glad I was able to find the and didn't have to fish wires through the dash.
Ken
Thats good that you found that. Did you also find an alternative wire for your reverse?

-Wes

#12 ·
Thats good that you found that. Did you also find an alternative wire for your reverse?

-Wes
Hi Wes. I ended up running the reverse wire from a connector (AJ2) in the junction box on the passenger side. It worked out good though, I had my BU camera wires run from that spot, so I was able to run the wires together.
One note on my previous post: I am not positive on the designation (K4) of the connector that I used for the dimmer wire. Turns out there are TWO 20 pin connectors back there! I can say it was the smaller of the two 20 pn connectors.
Thanks again for your help Wes,

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.