Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 DC Limited with factory alarm, no remote start. Supposedly my vehicle has the "hood courtesy switch" installed but I can't physically see it when I inspect the location (under the hood latch). I figured the purpose of this switch was to sound the alarm if anyone lifted your hood while the alarm was armed. I tested this by arming the alarm with the hood open and it armed fine. I could open and close the hood as needed with the alarm on or off and the alarm never triggered. So what the heck is the hood switch for then?

I am hoping it will work with the alarm system since I plan to tie the switch into my tailgate switch then my bed area will be protected as well now that I have my hard BAKFlip cover installed. Any ideas on how I can use the hood switch or some other circuit for this purpose? My custom tailgate switch supplies 12V negative or ground when the tailgate is open...

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the switch disables the remote start if the hood is open.
Yeah, this would be logical. It also makes sense since you have to add the hood switch when adding remote start to a vehicle without an alarm. So the question is: what does the alarm use it for that they also include it with the alarm?

·
Registered
595 Posts
YSo the question is: what does the alarm use it for that they also include it with the alarm?
Maybe if someone jimmies the hood open to disconnect the battery thus rendering the alarm inoperative?

·
Registered
184 Posts
does your alarm goes off when you arm it and open the door? if not, need to go to the dealer and have them check the customizer screen with the new techstream scan tool and see if the alarm is turned on or off.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does your alarm goes off when you arm it and open the door? if not, need to go to the dealer and have them check the customizer screen with the new techstream scan tool and see if the alarm is turned on or off.
Yep, the alarm works when you open the door or operate the door lock controls. It just doesn't do anything when you open or close the hood, and it allows you to arm the alarm with the hood opened or closed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
how do know that your truck had the hood switch installed? did your dealer added it on or was it installed at the port? there should be a connector where the hood latch is for the switch. i'll have to look on my truck too see if i can find it.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how do know that your truck had the hood switch installed? did your dealer added it on or was it installed at the port? there should be a connector where the hood latch is for the switch. i'll have to look on my truck too see if i can find it.
Numerous documents state that my vehicle does have the hood switch. It is included in the wiring diagrams and specifically noted for my vehicle. The remote start kit also states that you only need to purchase the hood switch if your vehicle does not have the alarm / keyless entry system, and my vehicle does have both of those systems. Unfortunately the wiring diagram shows the hood switch just below or possibly inside of the metal rail which houses the hood latch just in the front-top area of the radiator. I inspected that area from the top and front and couldn't see anything but I did find a wire loom running up into the bottom side of the metal rail so I assume the hood switch is mounted internally underneath the hood latch. If anyone can find it or post a pic it would be helpful but the main thing I need to know is why the alarm will allow the system to be armed with the hood open, and why the alarm doesn't go off when the system is armed and the hood is opened.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i looked at my 07 tundra and it has a small white connector with a black plug behind the hood latch. you should be able to see it and grab the connector. as far has how the switch is mounted i have no idea as i have not installed one yet but looking to get the remote start later. maybe get the dealer to check it out too see if the alarm should go off or not when it is armed and hood opened. i'll try to look for any document on the hood switch and how it works.

·
Registered
184 Posts
just found out in the repair manual that you can check the hood switch using the toyota scan. go to the dealer and let them check if the hood switch is working as it should be. also the hood switch repair procedure in the repair manual is listed under "theft deterrent" so i assume that the alarm should go off when your arm it and open the hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the Hood Switch to install in my 2007 CrewMax. It is an assembly which includes the hood latch assembly... it is IN the bottom of the HOOD LATCH.. for install I must remove old one, remove hood release cable, Install the cable to the new latch, attach wireing plug and screw latch back on...

At this point I could not tell you exactly what it does in the system, but it is requires to install the RS3200+ alarm... When I find out exactly what it does I'll let you know... also, as above, have dealer make sure system is activated correctly in the computer programming...

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I armed the alarm system while sitting inside of the truck. Then I pulled the hood release to open the hood. No alarm.

I armed the alarm system while standing outside of the truck with the hood still closed and latched but not locked. Then I pushed on the metal release tab under the front grill and opened the hood. No alarm.

Based on the above it seemed that the hood switch was not designed to set off the alarm but then I did some more testing. I find out that the alarm does not fully arm until the delay period is over, which I think is around 30 seconds but I am not sure. Once the delay has passed then the alarm will go off as soon as you unlock the hood from the inside of the vehicle. This means that I can tap into the hood switch wire and run an extension back to my tailgate switch, so my alarm will now go off when the tailgate is open, which is required to open my BAKFlip bed cover so now my whole truck bed is protected by the alarm system too. Sweet. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts