Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My 2001 Sequoia with 260k miles started to stutter under slight acceleration, between 1500-2000 rpm and 50 mph, especially when going up a slight hill. I started at the most logical places; air filter, clean the MAF sensor, clean the throttle body, and change the spark plugs, all of which were in need of cleaning or changing and we will see how it goes. I have not driven the car very much since as I had to go out of town for work the week after I did all the work.

As I was changing the spark plugs I noticed that one of the small hoses on the top of the cylinder head was very loose and almost completely off. I have included a picture of the what I am talking about and it is highlighted in red. After reattaching it and driving the car it got loose again. Looking at other pictures of Sequoia engines it does not look like I am missing a clamp to keep the hose on, but I cannot find any information about what this hose is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also noticed that a mouse made a nice nest between the cylinder head and the block at some point so I was able to clean all that out.

On a side note, I have read that this might be normal, after doing all of the above maintenance my check engine light has come on. I unplugged the battery and honked to horn to clean any electrical from the system and left it unplugged overnight and the check engine light still comes back on. I am taking it to a shop next week to have the rear wheel bearing replaced since I do not have access to a press and live pretty far away from any shops, so I am going to ask them to scan it. I should probably get a scanner myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe that is the evap hose. Mine kept falling off too. Very common. It’ll eventually trip the CEL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Lots of the low pressure hoses on the vehicle dont use clamps, it keeps the manufacturing costs down. I can see from your picture there's a stain on that hose so you probably got some oil on it and it made the hose lose its elasticity and thats why it came off. Just go to your local auto parts or hardware store, they probably sell rubber hose by the foot and have them on a reel. Bring that hose in, match the size and get a new piece. You'll be on your way for probably a few bucks.

Reactions: Highwaylizard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. I will go to the local hardware store tomorrow if it does not snow too much where I live. It takes the plows a little while to get up to our street.

I wonder if that is what tripped the CEL? I guess I can have the shop check the code when I get the rear wheel bearing replaced.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
If there's an auto parts store close by you could get some hose there and most of those places will also read your code for free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found in the Sequoia, that some of the hoses have different dimensions on either end. I thought that maybe it had just been stretched, but the difference was significant. I assume it is a specialty hose and that the dealer has exclusivity on it. (Not the case for your hose though).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Did some tinkering this weekend under the hood.... this thread made me look at my vacuum hoses. YIKES! They are alligator-skinned in appearance and I'm afraid to touch them. They are as hard as a rock and I think that if I mess with them, they will break. I'm going to keep a close eye on them now. Holy cow 14 years is hard on vacuum lines!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts