Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
If I had to guess; It sounds to me like a bad pulley bearing.. In that when its hot the grease or lack of settles out of the bearing races. Gets cold, solidifies some. Then on restart the bearing is noisy till some of that grease gets distributed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pulley bearing ....
what is that? sorry i dont know much about trucks

is this related to the AIP issue? with the air inducers? the notorious big money problem?
or a differnt pulley?

my truck has the 2443 error - however no shop vac, but a screaming squeal for 5-10 sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYG7Xee_dk

Dealer said 2800 in repairs, two pumps and a controller

Says the pump is making the squeal - however its been 10degress and been that way last couple weeks.

does the pump/pulley/belt really run if its that low? does this sound accurate?

·
Registered
102 Posts
As in a pulley in the serpentine belt train. I am just guessing based on the sound, timing and duration. It happened in my Tacoma and sound like that.
Second and third opinion from a mechanic is in order.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealer is saying its related to the AIP failure - but that doesnt seem like the common noise with that failure
2800 to fix

·
Registered
306 Posts
How many miles and what year is your truck. Toyota extended the warranty on AIP pumps...

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have two tundras at work that make this sound on start-up when the temperature is considerably cold, like > -20C. They do it all the time and I am so used to the sound, I expect it and consider it normal. I also hear it on my personal tundra during cold
start-up, but not as often. I assume I hear it less because I plug my personal truck in when the temperature drops below -20C.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
197 Posts
Secondary air injection pump bearing failing, beginning stages.

This pump only runs during cold starts and only for a very short while. Water gets in there during this run time and corrodes the bearing. It helps get the catalytic converters get warmed up and operating faster.

Hope I am wrong....

There is a Bypass which works AWESOME and is easy to install and doesn't cost that much, if it ends up being the case and is not under warranty.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/229399-air-induction-pump-bypass-module-aip/

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Not sure I agree with you. Mine also makes that sound when cold. Sounds like an old school power steering whine. But I have a 2012 and mine had the ecu reflash so that each time I shut the truck off the AIP cyles. The AIP sound comes from over by the passenger tire. The whine sound comes more from the front left centre of the engine on mine. I debated taking it in but I have a feeling the dealer will say its nothing.

BlackPlatinum:

How old are the trucks you mention that do this and how long have they been doing it?

Edit; I should have also mentioned that when the AIP cycles it sounds more like a vacuum cleaner being turned on for about 1 second. Not a whine like a bad pump.

·
Registered
Many Lexus and Toyotas
842 Posts
Hey rderenzy like i mentioned in my last email to you, and what cheapskate is also saying, is that it sounds like a power steering pump. You have to remember Toyota's response to any SAIS codes are to replace the entire system. All oils and fluids get more viscous and are harder to pump in the cold so ignoring your SAIS problem for now, I think you would find changing to a lighter viscosity power steering fluid (or transmission oil on my old truck) will stop this from happening in the cold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The two tundras we have at work are 2010s. They have made the noise on cold start-up since new. As mentioned, i just expect it an nothing has ever developed with this noise. Both trucks have well over 150,000kms (100,000+ miles) on them. I am not worried about this as this is fifth winter season going through this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all so much for the responses and info
I can see if the bypass will remove this sound
The dealer also agrees with redfish that this is a bearing in the AIP system

Sound should NOT be normal - its annoying, high pitched and embarrasing when in public
truck has 165k so i will not be fixing the AIP

PXSP - i forgot to inform you, i was told it was the power steering pump last year, i had the pump and the belt replaced last year - still made/makes the same 5 sec squeal
i like the idea of changing the type of fluid - yes the dealer says the sound IS related. if i do the bypass, we shall see
cheapskate - wow yours is 2012 and makes that sound? why not take it in? should be free repair

i guess i'm not worried about the squeal either - however man its loud, ear peircing and very annoying and somewhat embarrasing in public

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
It sounds like the power steering pump fluid is low or just cold... An additive from lub guard does work to quieten it. Try ebay or napa parts. Sam

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
rderenzy;2627449 cheapskate - wow yours is 2012 and makes that sound? why not take it in? should be free repair [/QUOTE said:
Not that I don't want to take it in, but I have a good idea what a dealer will say. I could be wrong though. To duplicate it I would want to be there to show the dealer. So I would have to find a way to drop it off, on a real cold day, then be there when its first fired up so I don't hear the dealer try to BS me that it didn't do it for them. Once the truck is fired up it no longer makes that sound. Maybe yours is louder than mine, hard to tell from the video but the sound is very similar. Please post back what you find.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Im going second the power steering pump. Mine on my 2000 has started making noise on a really cold start up. I'm assuming either the pulley bearing or there's air/moisture in the system on mine.

But I know nothing about the AIP system so I can't comment on that

·
Registered
197 Posts
Like I said, I hope I am wrong.

But the AIP, when the bearing is going out, sounds very much like that. The bearing is making the sound, not the pumps. With that said, most bearings sound awful when they are going out, so it could be one of many.

The AIP cycles at the very beginning of a cold start for a few seconds, till the diagnostics tells the ecu the catalytic converter is warm enough to work properly.

I would try the PS fluid change first, seems the cheapest and easiest route.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Could very well be 2 different issues here. Blackplatinum lives in Regina ( say hi to my sister, lol) which is 350 miles north of Bismarck ND and it gets damn cold there. And occasionally I get some of those days too. Thank God not as many as he does, ;) So maybe Rderenzy is getting a different noise, which might make sense if he does not get the same kind of bitter cold but still getting a bad whine at start up.

Rderenzy; What kind of temps are you talking about?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ya, I find it difficult to believe that a bearing could make that sort of noise at each and every cold start-up and not fail within 5years. Just my 2cents. I will ask my trusted service manager about that noise. My immediate family each owns a Toyota. That's 8 of them, not including the two tundras I have at work. We obviously have a close relationship with out local service department.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree about the not failing part, mine failed within about 1 month of the noise beginning.

It could be the electric muffler bearing also!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts