Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have personaly and have been reading many posts about the crappy service that Toyota is giving. What is the deal here? Why, if they build quality vehicles, do they give crappy service and hassle anyone that comes in for warranty work? It is not like they don't make any money and can't afford to fix problems. I had a lady here that drives a chevy malibu. there was a very bad wobble in the front end of the car when she applied the brakes. It was a problem with the rotor(warped). The car was past its warranty period and in most cases the rotors are deemed a normal wear and tear part. The chevy dealer put a brand new rotor on and sent her on her way. They did not charge her for the part. They were curtious and kinly told her if there was any other problems or it happend again to bring it back and they would see if there was some underlying cause for the rotor to warp.
So, What is up with Toyota? They did not want to warranty my oil dipstick that fell apart with only 3000 miles on the truck. They dipstick cost 20 bucks! Retail!!! Come on now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
^ I believe your gripe is with individual dealerships and not necessary Toyota itself. I've had GM vehicles where the service is excellent at a dealership and awful at the next. Having said that, IMO the Toyota corporate culture has gotten a lot like the big 3, in that quality control and service has suffered. I guess this is contagious with corporate size. Seems like this transition has occurred since Toyota's decision to build vehicles other places than Japan.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Dad worked for a Cadillac dealership for 25 years. I asked him this same question when I got married and starting taking care of my own cars. He said that larger dealerships that service many cars usually do more warranty work which causes them to exceed their quota set by the cooperation. The quota is set based on the demand of the dealership and it's customers for warranty work.

I took my wife's 2005 Ford Freestyle to the larger dealership here for service one day. Got screwd...took it to a smaller dealership about 20 minutes from my town and got GREAT service. I have been giving the smaller dealership my business ever since.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Why, if they build quality vehicles, do they give crappy service and hassle anyone that comes in for warranty work?
Good question - I have said for a long time that Toyota vehicles have some of the best quality in the industry but that their dealers are no better than average - if that.

When I called my dealer's service department and told them that my new truck's wheel center caps were falling off they said - "We haven't heard anything about that". I told him that I really didn't care whether they had heard about it before or not - that they had heard about it now. Then he said "Well bring it in and let us look at it". It is about a 50 mile round trip and I asked him what he was going to look at, since the cap wasn't there any more. He couldn't come up with an answer, so then I talked to his manager and he agreed to order new caps. When we replaced the ones that came on my truck it turned out there was a spring missing. So they fixed me up, but only after I hassled them.

My next problem was the cab mount rattle all of the early '05s had. Of course they would not order the new mounts just on my word for it, even though my truck was in the VIN range that the TSB covered. They had to drive it and hear it for themselves. Then they said that they didn't know anything about a TSB for that - so I gave them the one I printed off of TS, and they asked if they could keep it, since they didn't have a copy! So they ordered the parts and I left my truck and when I stopped after work to pick it up they wouldn't even let me see it. I demanded to see it and they said OK, but then came back and said it was already apart and they couldn't drive it out to the service area and that I wasn't allowed into the body area. That is when I lost it - but I never did get to see the damage. they told me that when they jacked the cab up off of the frame my tube steps dented in my bed - they had it for two more weeks before it was repaired - waiting for the new decals they said, since they had to clear coat both sides of the bed. At least they gave me a crappy little RAV4 to drive while they had it.

Now they send me flyers wondering why I haven't brought it back for any more "service". Go figure.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Excellent article and it's the way I feel about Toyota. I still believe in the product but the the playing field is starting to level. At least for Toyota's sake.. they have figured out that the first step in rectifying the problem(s)
is identifying you have one.
There's an interesting NYT article about the problems they're having instilling the "Toyota Way" in the American workforce.

The ‘Toyota Way’ Is Translated for a New Generation of Foreign Managers - New York Times

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone have a real feel for the difference in the number of TSB's and other quality issues between the 1995 1/2 through 2004 vs. the 2005+?

In the 1995 1/2, 96 and 97's there were some head gaskets issues and later the ball joint deal but I don't really seem to recall as many complaints as I read about the 2005+ models.

It seems Toyota has lost some quality since their expansion as has been said!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good question - I have said for a long time that Toyota vehicles have some of the best quality in the industry but that their dealers are no better than average - if that.

When I called my dealer's service department and told them that my new truck's wheel center caps were falling off they said - "We haven't heard anything about that". I told him that I really didn't care whether they had heard about it before or not - that they had heard about it now. Then he said "Well bring it in and let us look at it". It is about a 50 mile round trip and I asked him what he was going to look at, since the cap wasn't there any more. He couldn't come up with an answer, so then I talked to his manager and he agreed to order new caps. When we replaced the ones that came on my truck it turned out there was a spring missing. So they fixed me up, but only after I hassled them.

My next problem was the cab mount rattle all of the early '05s had. Of course they would not order the new mounts just on my word for it, even though my truck was in the VIN range that the TSB covered. They had to drive it and hear it for themselves. Then they said that they didn't know anything about a TSB for that - so I gave them the one I printed off of TS, and they asked if they could keep it, since they didn't have a copy! So they ordered the parts and I left my truck and when I stopped after work to pick it up they wouldn't even let me see it. I demanded to see it and they said OK, but then came back and said it was already apart and they couldn't drive it out to the service area and that I wasn't allowed into the body area. That is when I lost it - but I never did get to see the damage. they told me that when they jacked the cab up off of the frame my tube steps dented in my bed - they had it for two more weeks before it was repaired - waiting for the new decals they said, since they had to clear coat both sides of the bed. At least they gave me a crappy little RAV4 to drive while they had it.

Now they send me flyers wondering why I haven't brought it back for any more "service". Go figure.
It's funny you mention this. I had a problem recently as well. Last week I took my 04' Solara in for two TSB's, both of which I got from TS. The TSB's were done and I picked up the car on Friday, parked it in the garage, and didn't move it until I washed it Sunday. Thats when I notced about a dime size gouge in the paint right down to the metal on the lower half of my driver door ! I was upset to say the least. Monday I took it back in and I will say that the Service Manager was extremely accomidating and took full responsiblity. He sent it to a body shop right away and in 2 days they resprayed the area and they did a beautiful job with the repair.

The point is not the damage that's done. The point is that people don't care enough to slow down and take pride in the work they do to stand out. I'm not saying I won't go back, however, I will think twice about it next time.

I did get an '07 v8 4 Runner as a loaner in the meantime though :)

-DJJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone have a real feel for the difference in the number of TSB's and other quality issues between the 1995 1/2 through 2004 vs. the 2005+?

In the 1995 1/2, 96 and 97's there were some head gaskets issues and later the ball joint deal but I don't really seem to recall as many complaints as I read about the 2005+ models.

It seems Toyota has lost some quality since their expansion as has been said!
Not true , the quality drop you are noticing is largley because of more numbers of vehicles sold , growing market share and Looser Dealers dropping out of American Franchises and grabbing Toyota Franchises. A sorry Dealer whos been selling Dodge for 40 years all of a sudden becomes a Toyota Dealership is STILL a Lousey Dealership.

The only real "Black-Mark" against Toyota is their 4 year refusal to acnowledge the "Sludge" issue.

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Jayotta4, if they give you any crap next time, walk out to the showroom floor and find any and all of their customers and ask them if they want to buy a vehicle from a place that won't back up a $20 part. These people will start to think about their engine warranties and will run for the door. That is if the managaer doesn't give you the new part right away. DON'T TAKE CRAP FROM ANY DEALER! PERIOD!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts