Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a popup camper on my new-to-me '06 AC. I run 50 psi in the rears (LT rated bridestones) with the camperr on. The tire shop I go to recommended that much pressure, but I always have gone 40+ with the T100 I had.

I drove a little over an hour with the camper mounted for the first time on Saturday. The damned little light started flashing, I stopped and checked pressures and they were where they should be. Maybe the tires warmed up enough to push the pressure over a threshold?

So now I have a check engine light on, probably because of the stupid gas cap, and a flashing tire pressure indicator. I can ignore a check engine light, but something that flashes on my dash bugs me and is hard to ignore.

So my question: what factors cause the indicator to trigger, and how do I resolve the issue and get the stupid thing off? Is it like the check engine, mechanic has to reset it or battery has to be disconnected? Can't I just get the pressure within the acceptable range to shut it off?

Criminy. There are things about this new truck that are really nice like the power and the quiet smooth ride, but in lots of ways I miss my good old simple and reliable T100.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The light comes on when you hit 25 psi in your tires. There is a sensor in the spare tire too, that's the tire that's probably causing the sensor to light up.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Also, after inflating your tires to a "new" pressure (or rotating), reset the TPMS with the button under the steering column.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Toyota TPMS - Toyota TPMS Tools & Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

What is Toyota TPMS?

US Legislation & Toyota TPMS

The Toyota TPMS or TPWS was introduced to comply with the new Federal motor vehicle safety standard established by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requiring installation of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems as mandated by the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability, and Documentation (TREAD) Act. All new model year 2008 light vehicles shall have a TPMS fitted which is capable of detecting when one or more of the vehicle's tires, up to all four tires, is 25 percent or more below the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure (placard pressure) or a minimum activation pressure specified in the standard, whichever is higher. The system should be able to detect when one or more of the vehicles tires are 25% or more below the recommended inflation pressure.

As the legislation stands as soon as the wheel has been broken down at the dealers then the repair must be carried out before the car can be allowed to leave the premises.

For more information on Tire Pressure Monitoring System technology including specific areas for other Asian makes and models of vehivles we have a dedicated website. This site also provided information on Aftermarket TPMS Tool technology and can be accessed by clicking here.

Toyota Tire Pressure Monitor System Warning Light

When the TPMS warning light comes on then either one of the tires is under-inflated or there is a fault with the system. If the light is constant then inflating to the correct placard pressure should turn it off. If this is not the case then this indicates a puncture. If the light is intermittent or if it stays on after correct inflation or replacement of a punctured tire then this indicates a fault with the TPMS system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To get this crazy tpms light to go away couldn't you remove the tpms antenna and module. You no longer have a tpms per say for the exception of the wheel sensors which now would have nowhere to send a signal? No light hopfully!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The first gen Tundras are notorious for TPMS sensor problems. I've had the same issues where I will reprogram the TPMS sensors and all will be good for awhile. Then randomly one day the TPMS light will randomly start blinking. Some people just put a piece of black tape over the dash. Haha. There's also a way to disable the TPMS light so that it will no longer light up. It's a simple mod where you cut a wire. You can google it to locate information on it. I've been fortunate enough where it's stayed off for over 4 months now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
eliotkim
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing