Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new 2007 Camry SE V6 last week through my local Toyota dealer (I guess this comes through the Toyota network, shows up as inventory to arrive on May 25). I have not seen an owner's manual. What is the recommended oil weight to use in South Carolina? I use Exxon Superflo 10W30 in my other car. What does the owner's manual list?

Regards,
Terry

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
The manual will indicate 5w30 for all ambient temperatures on all models. The reasoning is it will provide less resistance and improve mileage.

Larry

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30. Used it on my 2002 Camry since 1st change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, the manual does say 5w30 for the 3.5L V6.

But TSB EG018-06 dated March 29, 2006 says to use:
ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20

It says:
"ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20
This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for
the U.S. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold
starting performance."

THAT SAID, I will still be using Mobil1 5w30 in MY Camry. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have not seen any '07 owners manual....Toyota that is, but nowhere prior to '07 have they ever indicated that you should use synthetic.

Synthetic was created to increase profits for Big Oil and they knew it could be sold easily to the unknowing.

Those of us who have taken several vehicles past 300K on conventional oil know better.

If you want to waste $$$ on "sinthetic"...go for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have not seen any '07 owners manual....Toyota that is, but nowhere prior to '07 have they ever indicated that you should use synthetic.

Synthetic was created to increase profits for Big Oil and they knew it could be sold easily to the unknowing.

Those of us who have taken several vehicles past 300K on conventional oil know better.

I said "Yes, the manual does say 5w30 for the 3.5L V6."
Where did I say the MANUAL says to use synthetic?
You won't find it because I didn't say it.
I simply said WHAT I USE.

Your statement " Synthetic was created to increase profits for Big Oil and they knew it could be sold easily to the unknowing."?
Synthetic oil is part of a Big Oil conspiracy?
Come on... :)

In my personal experience in high performance engines, running Mobil 1 instead of ANY conventional oil I've tested, made the engine run 5-7 degrees cooler.
That tells me using Mobil 1 reduces friction.
Synthetic also resists heat breakdown under hard use.
I also like the fact that synthetic also flows better on startup in cold weather.
It's disappointing to now learn that my current high performance big block Chevy isn't really running cooler with less friction, it's actually part of a Big Oil conspiracy. :D
(what, are there little gremlins who work for Big Oil under my dashboard? And when they see that I put Mobil 1 in my engine, they get inside my fluid filled temperature gauge (hope they can hold their breath) and hold the needle from going as high? ) LOL

Seriously though, if you like conventional motor oil, use it.
I'm not going to debate you or anybody else.
Just use what you like, and I'll use what I like.

·
Registered
22 Posts

:D

You ought to send a letter to the engineers of Porsche,GM,Mercedes Benz,Acura,Aston Martin,Bentley,Mitsubishi,Chrysler etc.who have a Mobil 1 factory fill in many models and tell them synthetic is a waste of money.
Oh wait...they're educated engineers...and you?
You're just good ole' Mike with an silly opinion..:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts