Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading the discussions and it seems that most dealers and end users are using 5W-20. Yet, the 6 cyl's specify 0W-20. Went to several large auto stores and I don't see 0W-20. Is 0W-20 another designation for synthetic oil?

I've always been a believer that for at least the first 7500 miles, use "real" oil and change at 2500 mile increments. Been doing that with my 91 4 Runner and it's now at 190K.

Received a call this evening that mu 07 RAV 4 (6 cyl) came in, so it should only be a few more days! Would appreciate any feedback on this oil issue. Many thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Changing oil at 2500 is ridiculous unless you drive short trips (<5mi) in cold weather - or your racing at redline. You are harming the environment and NOT helping your engine at all. A 4000mi OCI would be completely safe with most "normal" driving. You wouldnt see any unsafe TBN with a properly functioning PCV an good compression under 4000. My new chevy truck warranty will allow 1 OC/year if the OC indicator light does not come on earlier. Blame Pennzoi, etc. for the 3000 mile oil change brainwash. It would be good to put good oil in to begin with - dont ask me what that is anymore - even Mobil 1 is not "real" synthetic anymore; I would recommend Toyota genuine motor oil from the dealer.

Grumpy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been reading the discussions and it seems that most dealers and end users are using 5W-20. Yet, the 6 cyl's specify 0W-20. Went to several large auto stores and I don't see 0W-20. Is 0W-20 another designation for synthetic oil?
I frequently read discussions about oil for the 06/07 RAV4 V6 engine and wonder what causes the confusion. Sitting here with my owner's manual open to page 399, it states 5W-30 oil across all temperature ranges. The oil filler cap on the engine also says 5W-30.

I've found that Wal-mart, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys and others carry everything I have ever needed in synthetic oil viscosities. If one doesn't have what you are looking for, surely one of the others will.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Changing oil at 2500 is ridiculous unless you drive short trips (<5mi) in cold weather - or your racing at redline. You are harming the environment and NOT helping your engine at all. A 4000mi OCI would be completely safe with most "normal" driving. You wouldnt see any unsafe TBN with a properly functioning PCV an good compression under 4000. My new chevy truck warranty will allow 1 OC/year if the OC indicator light does not come on earlier. Blame Pennzoi, etc. for the 3000 mile oil change brainwash. It would be good to put good oil in to begin with - dont ask me what that is anymore - even Mobil 1 is not "real" synthetic anymore; I would recommend Toyota genuine motor oil from the dealer.

Grumpy.
I can't believe I am agreeing with Grumpy--for once I think he is correct. I changed at 1,000 miles and then every 5,000 miles. I use Mobil 1 5w-20 but I have 300,000 miles on a 92 T-bird and have always used Valvoline 10w-30. I think regular changes with any certified oil will do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm using Amsoil new 0w20 synthetic in my '06 RAV I4 and Amsoil 5w30 in my V6 Camry which is the same V6 that's in the Rav.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best oil I like and has done great in my Toyota's is
Valvoline 5W-30 SYNpower Full Syntetic. I have been using it since 1995 on all autos and works great. If you look carefully and if I am correct LEXUS recommends this oil. It is worth the cost!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts