Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to the "upcoming" perforance MOD's 5.7 owners have in mind to unleash this beast. Are rumors true that 430HP can easilt obtained?

·
Registered
440 Posts
i want to know if there are any chips, or strokers comming out for this thing, sorry but what 430 hp lexus are you talking about?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure about the Lexus, but I have a cold air unit which is supposed to up it to around 400 hp.
Confused on Lexus part, but I heard 430HP is easily obtainable. I know there are many threads on CAI on 4.7's, but is 18HP doable by just adding CAI and which oneis available for the 5.7?

·
Registered
440 Posts
bump! where did you hear about this 430 hp tundra? any links?

·
Banned
888 Posts
Check the 381 HP thread
Its not precise,but generally accepted for paracidical drivetrain power loss.
18% for Standard trans and 20% for Automatic Trans
With two extra gear sets in the 6spd you might could figure another 10% on the 20%.The old 18/20% goes back to the 3sp and 4 sp auto days.
Add those back to your base HP and youll get close to 430
Until someone gets around 10K on one of these 5.7 the realworld numbers wont be conclusive by any means.
A simple cam(s) swap should do 500 rwhp pretty easily IMO.If TRD does it right .....? then the blower package will edge near 750 if they allow the psi to go 7-9lbs

Just random thoughts .......:D

·
Banned
888 Posts
Just do a history search on the way the Lightnings were progressivly modded and youll see where my thoughts come from.There are several running in excess of 1K rwhp for under $5K invested.:eek: Then add the 4 Link rear for another $5K and you have a low 10 sec. lumber rack:clown:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Check the 381 HP thread
Its not precise,but generally accepted for paracidical drivetrain power loss.
18% for Standard trans and 20% for Automatic Trans
With two extra gear sets in the 6spd you might could figure another 10% on the 20%.The old 18/20% goes back to the 3sp and 4 sp auto days.
Add those back to your base HP and youll get close to 430
Until someone gets around 10K on one of these 5.7 the realworld numbers wont be conclusive by any means.
A simple cam(s) swap should do 500 rwhp pretty easily IMO.If TRD does it right .....? then the blower package will edge near 750 if they allow the psi to go 7-9lbs

Just random thoughts .......:D

You sound a bit confused. The 5.7 is rated at 381 flywheel horsepower not at the rear wheel. That's closer to 320 at the wheel. There is no way that the 6spd auto is any less efficient. I would doubt that you even lose 20% through it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just do a history search on the way the Lightnings were progressivly modded and youll see where my thoughts come from.There are several running in excess of 1K rwhp for under $5K invested.:eek: Then add the 4 Link rear for another $5K and you have a low 10 sec. lumber rack:clown:

Although the NA 5.7 is making the same power as the SC 5.4, it's not going to be that simple for more power. The Lightning being supercharged already gave the very easy option of a pully swap to give big gains in power. Combine that with the fact the the fuel system was able to support sick amounts of power.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Im betting the pump on the 5.7 aint far from "plenty",SC pully aint even an issue.
As for the other .... 20% runnng thru 6 gear sets will have its effects.
This 6 speed is nearly 2.5 time larger then a 700R4 4sp.
If torque was water it would flow as you state ....sadly it isnt.

TnK

Although the NA 5.7 is making the same power as the SC 5.4, it's not going to be that simple for more power. The Lightning being supercharged already gave the very easy option of a pully swap to give big gains in power. Combine that with the fact the the fuel system was able to support sick amounts of power.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Im betting the pump on the 5.7 aint far from "plenty",SC pully aint even an issue.

As for the other .... 20% runnng thru 6 gear sets will have its effects.
This 6 speed is nearly 2.5 time larger then a 700R4 4sp.
If torque was water it would flow as you state ....sadly it isnt.

TnK

Not sure what you're trying to say in the first part. The number of gears doesn't have an effect on parasitic loss. It's only in one gear at a time, not all of them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
supercharger is due late summer/fall this year supposedly... along with one for the 1gr.... potentially one for the 2gr? that'd be sweet. but ya anyway the 4.0L v6 and 5.7L v8 kits are coming this year...:D

·
Banned
888 Posts
Do you not understand how an automatic trans converts HP to torque ?
Clearly not.....but nevermind I dont have time to break it all down.

TnK

Not sure what you're trying to say in the first part. The number of gears doesn't have an effect on parasitic loss. It's only in one gear at a time, not all of them.

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a CAI coming. Call your local dealer, part number is PTR03-34070.
I will find out in the morning what my cost is and what MSRP is and will let you guys know what price I can give thru this site.

Casey
I bought one a TRD unit for my 4.7 '04 but didn't install it, had concerns about it not filtering as well as the OEM. But I am willing to take the chance as I hope it will make for better throttle response and some power increase<?
Are there any alternatives currently available other than TRD?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there an option to run a snorkle to the foglight inlet and what type of filter does it use?

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Retail on the TRD is gonna be $475.00 I can sell them to forum members for $375.00
$375 for an intake?!? :eek: I want to see hard dyno numbers on one first. The stock intake is already short ram due to the throttle body facing the passenger side where the airbox is. The only way I can see gains from an intake are by removing the restriction of the stock filter and airbox. I don't see an aftermarket tube reducing flow friction much more than stock.

I am ordering my truck with the TRD exhaust (dealer is giving it to me for $900, rolled into loan)

I also plan on tuning the air-fuel ratio on a dyno like I did to my 4Runnner. Made up tons of low end torque and top end power by doing so.

Eventually, however, I WILL supercharge :D :D

1 - 20 of 69 Posts