Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What all do I need to ask my local Line X dealer before I get the truck sprayed? Also, can you recommend a dealer in Birmingham, AL that I can trust to do a good job?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
From my experience, you will want to know if he masks off the liftgate..... do yu want the bed bolts sprayed....If you have a rail, do you it sprayed?

My Linex guy masked off the liftgate, the rails, removed the bed bolts and oversprayed the tie downs (as I wanted). Most importantly, he separately sprayed the panel in the lift gate so now I can access the door lock..... just a couple of things to think about...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Send a PM to 123Gone on this forum. He is a LineX dealer and knows everything there is to know.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Here's my thoughts:
1. Talk to the dealer and ask them to explain step by step how they do the work.
2. Ask them if they do work for any of the dealerships/body shops in your area (if they do, they should be able to do a good job for you).
3. If you have anything else you want coated on your truck or around the house get them to throw it into the deal.
4. Make sure they plan to remove the tailgate access panel (and mask the internal portion of the tailgate), tie downs and all hardware (screws, mounting bolts, bed bolts) and plug the tapped holes on the bed walls where the bed rails mount).
5. Make sure they tighten everything back down, the bed is aligned properly and the tailgate opens and closes freely after they finish and before you leave.

Good luck!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
All I had to do was get a quote and the conversation ended right there. Spraying two bumpers was getting fairly close to the dealership replacement cost for new bumpers. To be fair, all prices were inflated when the oil boom was at its peak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Follow Slackjaw07's advise very closely ....... Note that on your tailgate there are small rubber stops on the bed that hit the tailgate (where there are small tranparent plastic protectors), when the tailgate is sprayed, if there is considerable build up on the tailgate, it will put the tailgat in a bind when slamed shut.. as you know the latch system on the 2nd gen. is not known for
it's being robust.

And = when they sprayed my 2000 Tundra, they did as they should and removed the bed bolts. But, in the process they slightly shifted the bed on the chassis. DOUBLE CHECK THIS ALIGNMENT AND REVIEW IT WITH THE BEDLINER FOLKS BEFORE YOU HAVE THE WORK DONE ...
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Here's my thoughts:
1. Talk to the dealer and ask them to explain step by step how they do the work.
2. Ask them if they do work for any of the dealerships/body shops in your area (if they do, they should be able to do a good job for you).
3. If you have anything else you want coated on your truck or around the house get them to throw it into the deal.
4. Make sure they plan to remove the tailgate access panel (and mask the internal portion of the tailgate), tie downs and all hardware (screws, mounting bolts, bed bolts) and plug the tapped holes on the bed walls where the bed rails mount).
5. Make sure they tighten everything back down, the bed is aligned properly and the tailgate opens and closes freely after they finish and before you leave.

Good luck!
only thing i'd do differently is not remove those tie downs...assuming we are talking about the ones in the corners of the bed...to me it looks dumb to have a spray in liner and then have these things body color that take more abuse and the paint chips from actually using them...jsut leave them in there and they will spray them too. now if by tie downs we are talking about the utility rails then by allmeans remove them.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
All are very good points. But, one question was missed.....How much? :D

Just repeating by summation: Ask him what will be sprayed and what won't be sprayed.

Applying LINE-X to the bed bolts and tie downs is optional. Most people choose to have them removed and not sprayed, but it's your truck and the bedliner can be applied either way. The tailgate access panel screws should be removed and the access panel lifted (with the guts covered by paper) before spraying. This is so that the access panel will not be sealed down by the bedliner. So, if you have a latch problem, you will be able to easily remove the access panel. Similarly, I recommend that the bed bolts be removed so that if the truck bed has to be removed from the truck (in case of a repair), then they won't have to dig your bed bolts out of the bedliner.

Have you consider getting the upgrade to LINE-X Xtra?

EDIT: I think the post above posted while I was typing. You can spray the tie downs but here are a couple of potential problems with that:
1. It's difficult to get the LINE-X on the back side of the tie down. So, it's going to be thin in that area. If you attach a rope or something to the tie down, it COULD tear the thin LINE-X off of the tie down. However, GM truck tie downs are welded in and we spray over those and we have not experienced any problems.
2. It's difficult spraying the tie downs and have them look good. There are lots of corners and angles and it's difficult to have the bedliner look consistantly applied especially when the applicator is limited in his spray positions.

I should also mention that it's not uncommon that when the tie down is removed, the factory paint on the tie down sort of chips off the torx bolt and some of the tie down. You or the dealer should use some touch up paint or LINE-X Xtra and touch it up. It's not really a big deal, but.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. Is the Line x Xtra worth the xtra money? I have been told by a couple of dealers that it realy is just a matter of looks vs durability. One place said he wouldnt recommend it and another said that they do a lot of it but it is personal preference. I have been quoted $425-$450 for the regular Line x and $700 for the color matched Line x Xtra. Are these prices about right? One shop said it would take 4-5 hours and the other said 2.5-3 hours. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Definitely go with the Xtra, keeps the glossy freshly sprayed look. Mine is 1 1/2 years old and still looks new.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Is the Line x Xtra worth the xtra money? I have been told by a couple of dealers that it realy is just a matter of looks vs durability. One place said he wouldnt recommend it and another said that they do a lot of it but it is personal preference. I have been quoted $425-$450 for the regular Line x and $700 for the color matched Line x Xtra. Are these prices about right? One shop said it would take 4-5 hours and the other said 2.5-3 hours. Thanks for the help.
That is about what I paid for mine so those prices are in the ballpark.

The Xtra takes about a day to completely dry but the regular dries almost instantly.

Apparently the prep of the paint is the most important part of the job as well as the disassembly of nuts, bolts, tailgate, and whatever else. Without knowing anything else about the dealers, the one that takes longer may do so because they do a better job prepping the truck. Or they may let the Xtra dry more before reassembly. You'll have to ask.

Another thing to consider is to check how long they have been in business and if there have been any consumer complaints.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
If you don't plan on getting a tonneau cover, I HIGHLY recommend Xtra. It's the best "bang for your" buck upgrade you can get. The bedliner will hold its color and gloss and all you will ever have to do is wash it. Xtra needs about 45 min to an hour to dry (depending on the temp/humidity). When you leave the dealer, it will be dry, but the chemicals totally cure over a 24 hour period, so it's best not to mess with it until the next day.

Links to pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/Toyota/BlueStreakMet11.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/Salsaredpe2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/Toyota/PyriteMica4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/Toyota/DesertSandMica1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/Toyota/TacomaRed7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/Toyota/TundraSlate.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm pleased with my line-x dealer. I was charged $500 for the job (a bit more than the going rate here, but my only other option was a 2 hour round-trip drive to the next dealer who was at the $450 range. It wasn't worth my time, gas, mileage to make that trip).

I got the basic Line-X because the X-tra was more than what I wanted to spend and my dealer did the X-tra at the same price difference as the ReNew. I figured, I'd go for the basic black, then after a couple of years, hit the ReNew for the same price point and basically have a new-looking bedliner. (reasoning sounded good at the time).

As for the time it took, my dealer had the truck in the bay for 90 minutes from the time I handed my keys over to getting my keys back. They said give it 24-48 hours to "cure". My dealer did a fantastic job, I would not hesitate to reccomend them, just as long as you are expecting to pay the $510 price-point. They masked every hole I asked them to mask, no overspray, looked great, and yeah, a good product. I beat the ever-living snot out of that liner (concrete post slabs, lawn mowers, pichfork'ing mulch) within the next few weeks, it still looks great. The tailgate closes properly, everything looked and performed as expected. Please do check for buddies, random people, etc who have used your dealer, just in case. I had a few work buddies who reccomended my dealer, and I have to say, it gave me peace of mind.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't know where you're at in B'ham, but I called the Decatur dealer two weeks ago and was quoted $400 out the door for the regular. I don't remember how much the x-tra and color matched were, but maybe worth a short drive north.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I ended up using Chris at Line X of Pelham. $600 out the door for black Line X Xtra. I am very pleased with the outcome.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Thanks. I ended up using Chris at Line X of Pelham. $600 out the door for black Line X Xtra. I am very pleased with the outcome.
Are you glad that you went with the black how does it look? Roll tide btw I am from Birmingham but been living in Louisiana for a few years now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ask him, "Where is the nearest Rhinoliner dealer". Seriously, when I was in the market for the liner I found that Rhino gave me more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Roll Tide emuaspe! I am glad I went with the black. I went back and forth on the decision, but now that it is done, I am happy with it. I had several people tell me that the darker color match does better than the lighter ones. The lighter ones tend to show more dirt/scratches. With my truck being silver, the black really pops and looks great. When we finally get some dry weather, I will post some pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts