Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Tundra DC with the JBL system. I want to add a new navi head unit but I am installing new amps and speakers so I don't need to use the JBL amp at all. Can I use just a regular Toyota harness to gain access to power ground illumination etc....?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Metra 70-8113 is what I used. It will by-pass the JBL amp or allow you to keep it..... either way. I by-passed my JBL and used the harness for my power, ground and illum.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I not just use a regular harness since I'm not using the JBL amp? All
I want is access to the power ground illumination etc... I do not want to hack into my factory wiring harness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you probally could just bypass it, if your not going to use the factory amp. however if you decide to buy one i have a spare brand new in the package (came with my dash kit and already had one) the brand is PIE i forget the model number but its a good brand. they retail for around 100 or more i'd be willing to sell it for 50 if you'd like it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jumbo so basically I need to use the harness you suggested but just don't use the RCA plugs. Did you cut the plugs to get them out of the way or just tape them up or something?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upon doing some further reading I see that the 70-8113 does not have the illumination wire. Is there a harness that does?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey Jumbo so basically I need to use the harness you suggested but just don't use the RCA plugs. Did you cut the plugs to get them out of the way or just tape them up or something?
Yes, exactly.... just dont use the RCA's. I just wrapped them up with some leftover Ensolite so they didnt bang around in the dash. You dont have to tap into any factory wiring, just connect up the 70-8113 to your aftermarket head unit harness and plug it in..... its easy.

Metra's color codes are:

Black= ground
Yellow= battery/memory
Red= ignition/accy
Blue= power antenna
Blue/White= amplifier turn on
Orange= illumination
Orange/White= dimmer
Brown= phone mute

My Kenwood 8120 self dims according to the clock on the nav. so I didnt need to use the dimmer wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts