Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I own a 2007 Tundra, (approx 60,000 miles) and with the extended warranty. Now, there are approximately 4 locations in the bed of the truck that are starting to rust UNDERNEATH the paint. We took it to the service department and they took photos of it, and tried to say first that we have hauled palettes of cinder blocks in there, then said we haul 4 wheelers in there and that is the cause of the rust (They were pulling ideas out of the air). I am paying for this truck, and it gets babied! I refuse to let my husband haul anything in the bed because it scratches so easily, that it is lucky to have ever seen a fresh pine board! Now, my husband was persistant when we went to the service dept and told the tech that he wanted them to raise the truck up and look underneath and sure enough, there is rust under the bed where the tech called gussets? So, the service department says that they are waiting on a reply from Toyota on what to do, and they will call us when they hear something. When I call the warranty number myself, the recording states that the service department is the one required to get authorization on anything to be done. I feel like I am getting the runaround and all the while the bed of my truck is rusting! :( Is there someone that I can set a fire under the butt to get something going? I plan to get a spray in bed liner, but if it is rusting underneath, is there much point? I may end up with just a liner in the end! Help please!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Keep contacting your dealer and I wouldn't put a liner in if I was trying to get a new bed installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a long wait - from March til June 16th 2011, here is where we are now!
07 Tundra, and we have a problem with some rust in the bed.. took it to the local Toyota service dept instead of where we bought it to save from driving a couple hours out of the way, techs say that we bent the bed of the truck causing it to rust in the locations it is rusting..and said that if i didnt like the answer i could get his notes and call the 1800 #... called the 1800# and they said they have to pretty much go with what the tech says and that they will schedule us another FINAL appt at the same service location we had already been to for them to look it over again.. (already been twice) and that is all they can do... do you have any numbers, contact people, etc or would it be a good idea to take it to the purchasing location's srvc dept to see if they can help? I have really good photos of the inside and underneath the bed and we have taken it to a body shop that has been in business for 22 years and they said it is a factory problem that they probably didnt coat it where they put the welds/caulking underneath causing it to rust there. They think that because I am a woman that I was stupid when I was there and that I would take that as a final answer... well after $650 a month for the past 4 years and 2 more to go, and being a female I will not take that as a final answer...
I am looking at setting up a website with this information, photos, documenting everything and putting a big magnetic sign on each side of the truck to ride around and advertise for the dealers.. I insisted that we get a Toyota, because I have always heard of their great resale value, and how good of a running truck they are, and well, I actually like it, but had I known this was what was going to happen, then I would have researched more and bought something else.

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
Throw up some pictures. Usually, when it comes to rust (especially considering past rust issues) I have found that dealers are more than willing to help, if not find another one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I would try contacting Toyota again and don't take their typical "take it to your local dealer" for help answer. Keep demanding to speak to someone higher until you get what you want.

Around here in the Bay Area, there are local news stations that love to take on regular citizen problems and help fight for them. They get a little story headline out of it and more often than not, the citizen get the proper help needed to fix their issue. This might be worth looking into in your area. Good luck!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ask to talk with the owner of the dealership if anything is going to work this will. ;)

Most dealership owners don't want to hear that their customers aren't happy with the service department.

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
She hasnt been on since she posted this. I am starting to question the validity of the entire thing. If I was that mad about something I would be building as much ammo and getting as much advice as I could.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Do what I did in my signature, blast the bastards who treat the customer like garbage. I make sure to voice my opinion on my local stealership every chance I can get. Have talked 3 people so far into getting their new Yota's at the Kalispell dealership instead

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She hasnt been on since she posted this. I am starting to question the validity of the entire thing. If I was that mad about something I would be building as much ammo and getting as much advice as I could.
We have been doing what we can to follow the proper channels. I came here for advise, not criticism! Here is the beginning of my ammo!
Toyota Tundra Troubles

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
Is image 19 rusted through? If so, toyota warranty has a section specifically about rusting through and guarantee's against it. I would have to get my manual out to give it to you verbatim but I have NEVER seen rust that bad, especially in that one spot. Did battery acid or something get spilled there? Anyhow, its guaranteed in writing. Should be cut and dry. Looks like a bedliner would help you on your replacement bed though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would take a matter of nothing to punch it through and it would be what they consider corrosion with a hole. However, they did throw in that it has to be determined whether this was self inflicted or not. The rust underneath is worse in that spot. And I Was told that rust comes out not in? or something to that effect? But it started underneath. The technician says that we bowed the bed by carrying cargo in there causing it to rust in the 4 areas on top of the bed. He refused to look underneath even though the first trip in March they did take underneath photos and said it was at the gussets. Now the June technician says that he doesnt need to look underneath that we caused it by hauling something that caused the bed to bow? Which is definately not the case!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick update on where we stand at this moment... it will be in more detail on the website when I get it updated, but the 1800 customer care ppl said that they have to take the tech's word for it and that will be the final decision. After my husband threatened lawyers getting involved they have scheduled another appt for us at the same dealer location and said this will be the final viewing. We asked to not be sent back to that dealer and they did so anyway. We called the regional manager and he said the same exact thing, final ruling by the techs at the same dealer. We are in the process of getting our insurance company involved if they can do anything and we will go from there. And we had thought about going to the location of the dealer that we bought the truck from but they are in the same region as this regional manager, is that a good idea or should we go outside of this region?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm surprised the Tech is talking to you so much. I was a motorcycle Tech and I would have sent you to my Service Advisor or my Service Manager a long time ago. I wouldn't want the headache of this and Toyota not wanting to help.

Sorry about your predicament. I sure hope they step up and correct this for you.

Bo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm surprised the Tech is talking to you so much. I was a motorcycle Tech and I would have sent you to my Service Advisor or my Service Manager a long time ago. I wouldn't want the headache of this and Toyota not wanting to help.

Sorry about your predicament. I sure hope they step up and correct this for you.

Bo
The service manager was there when this tech which is supposedly the regional service tech told us what they did. When they claimed that it was our fault and that we had bent the bed, I asked the service manager what exactly was the purpose of a truck.. her reply was, well, some people never haul anything in the bed of their truck. Now, let me say though, there was nothing hauled in here that caused bending unless pine 1 x 12 boards cause it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do what I did in my signature, blast the bastards who treat the customer like garbage. I make sure to voice my opinion on my local stealership every chance I can get. Have talked 3 people so far into getting their new Yota's at the Kalispell dealership instead
Did another dealer fix it for you? I dont understand how one will do something when another wont? They are all Toyota?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is image 19 rusted through? If so, toyota warranty has a section specifically about rusting through and guarantee's against it. I would have to get my manual out to give it to you verbatim but I have NEVER seen rust that bad, especially in that one spot. Did battery acid or something get spilled there? Anyhow, its guaranteed in writing. Should be cut and dry. Looks like a bedliner would help you on your replacement bed though.
Just clarifying what I was trying to say earlier-- rust goes up, not down and the rust is worse underneath than on top... meaning a larger area underneath is rusted. One of those pics that I updated (maybe after your last viewing) shows the underneath area. Not sure which rust area reflects which upper rust area.. my husband is going to go through them and try to match them up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
pursue all options

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's up to the dealer to prove that you have indeed bent the bed and that is the real problem, Magnumson act or some such thing. In my opinion, they haven't proven anything about where the rust has come from. Are they saying that the supposed bent bed has chipped the paint, letting corrosion start? Have them show you where and how the bed is bent, get their measurments that show the "bentness".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
File in small claims court. It is different in every state but in NY it is like $20 to file and you don;t need a lawyer.... just evidence. I think the limit in New York is $5,000.00.... limit meaning the most you can sue for.

I'm not one to run to court but I bought a LEMON when I was 21 and the dealership basically told me to e'ff myself. So I filed and won and it was way easier than I thought it would be.

I would exhaust all other options first but I would research your local Civil Laws.
Thank you for your advice. Sounds like a good plan, I only want to have the bed replaced. Nothing more. The aggravation of having to fight them is NOT what I wanted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts