Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have battery acid that forms around the braces that hold the battery down. With out taking is off, I have used coke to clean it but it keeps comming back. Now, I want to take it off, clean it and put it back on. What should I use to clean it?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Permatex makes a cleaner / sealer in a spray can.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
You're fighting a losing battle. The post hole itself is leaking, and I've never seen an adhesive that can withstand the corrosive effects of sulfuric acid immersion. I'd replace the battery before your cable ends get so corroded you have to replace them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is kind of a crazy thing. The battery ends are not corroded. It is only the bracket that holds the battery down. The angle piece that rest on each side of the battery is corroded around it. My battery is 4 years old and I was thinking about replacing it anyway. My luck, it would leave me stranded in the middle of no where. My daughters oem battery was the same age as mine and it went bad without a warning.

·
Registered
341 Posts
As SuckersWalk said, you need to use baking soda which neutralizes the acid from the battery. Then clean w/ a good cleaner, prime, and repaint. There are paints that will resist battery acid, so you might want to use one of those so you don't have to repair again.

If your battery is off-gassing that much, check the water level. Water should be just covering the plates and not all the way up into the tubes.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I also use baking soda and take a wire brush to area and then just goober on dielectric grease or pet? You could get the part powder coated but not sure if you would be gaining anything? I suspect it would be worth the cost if it was reasonably priced?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Next time you go to get an oil change or anything, tell your service writer you want the battery cleaned and sealed. It's a complimentary service where I'm from, but it does help prevent battery acid build up when it gets sealed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input fellows. I haven't done anything with it yet. between working and playing music I haven't had the time. I will need an oil change in about 1200 miles and I will ask if they can replace the battery under warranty because of the leak. It is 3 1/2 years old. I don't know how long the origional battery is warrantied.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine does this also, even on the replacement battery from Toyota. I have to take the hold down off once or twice a year, clean it up good with baking soda (and water), hit it with a wire brush, goop on some di-electric grease stuff that is suppose to help (but it doesn't). Just takes a few minutes and it gives you an opportunity to give your truck a little TLC.

Maybe there is something better to goop on that would help slow the process, but as others have posted, it may be related to the battery Toyota uses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts