Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a trailer hitch ball mount and don't know what size drop I should buy. I have 2010 Tundra doublecab 4X4. I don't think it is really any higher from the ground than other models of Tundra, but these trucks are big. I am planning to pull an ATV trailer which I haven't bought yet and was wondering one with just 2" drop would do or I need to get one with higher drop. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Look into one of those adjustable ones.

Or you could back the truck up to the trailer and measure down from the bottom of the hitch to the trailer and then go but one that is close. I carry two, a standard 2" drop and a 3.5" that cover most of our trailers. We have one trailer that needs a bigger drop but i grab that hitch when I'm home.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The adjustable ones I've seen are quite expensive. However, they do cover all needs.

Different trailers require different hitch drops or even lifts. Then there is the way the trailer is loaded to consider. Air bags help with that issue.

An ATV trailer will not put very much load on the hitch if loaded properly so measure the ATV trail hitch height, the truck's receiver height and do some simple math to determine the drop.

Remember that the ball will be inside the trailer's hitch when taking the measurements.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Choose trailer first, then buy hitch ;)

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Sounds like good advise. I will do that, but I have a feeling most Tundra owners are buying ball mounts that have over 3" drop.
For what it's worth, on my car trailer and my boat trailer; my adjustable hitch is only at the 2" drop mark. If the load is heavy and sags the rear end I raise the hitch up another 1" or so, so I don't get the saggy trailer look even though my truck is sagging lol.

I understand an ATV trailer will be a much lighter duty trailer with smaller tires so a 3" drop would probably work. However, choose your trailer and measure'er all out. Then purchase the right hitch :) Or just get an adjustable hitch. My Rapid Hitch is awesome, 2" ball for my boat, 2 3/4 ball for my car trailer and adjusts +/- 5-inches.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Sounds like good advise. I will do that, but I have a feeling most Tundra owners are buying ball mounts that have over 3" drop.
its very good advice. I have a 4 inch rise on my hitch. My triton open place trailer has 15" tires so the lift is needed. Now many small snowmobile/quad trailers could have 10" tires requiring you to lower your hitch....so take the previous poster's sage advice...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2" drop for my smaller trailers and that works well on a small ATV trailer and a 6x10 enclosed. I use an adjustable WDH for the TH.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you aren't buyin an adjustable one, buy several(Walmart carrys Reese)
and a ball(you can return what you don't use). then you can size it up when you pick up the trailer. Sometimes I'll go an inch higher to minimize the tounge weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts