Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the best of my knowledge and 99 and 9/10 for sure my oil pan has never been off my truck.I have never had engine work done ,any other than o2 sensors and tuneup and little things here and there...

I went to have my truck checked and my mechanic was checking to see if there was a rear main seal leak and it was,so they started by taking the oil pan off and I was standing there and he told me to come over.I was watching him..and he asked if we had ever had any major engine work done.I told and also did compression checks and other checks on the engine.

He said the only thing he could think of was that when my truck was built at the plant.The engine was bad and they pulled the truck off the line and then took the engine out and then replaced the engine with another and used him no.

He started taking other parts of the engine apart to see if he could find the source of the things in the photo here. He checked rings,pistons,rocker arms timing chain everything and even did a compression check. Everything was great nothing wrong and the truck has 85000 miles on it.. He visually checked everything the same oil pan..never looking in it before replacing it. But I just wanted to show everyone what TOYOTA left in my new truck off the line..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that too and thinking about it makes me come to the same conclusion, but he has torn down just about everything you can and nothing is wrong with the engine..any other ideas? Im open?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The diameter of the two half moon pieces is about three inches and there is a part number of 0D02 can't find a reference to that anywhere..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would think if they replaced the engine then the oil pan would have stayed on the bad engine.
Those are obviously rings....

From what I understand from your post....which is kinda challenging in it's own.... Is that I would find another mechanic....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure they are rings????????????????? I was just curious if something come through the engine that size would it have good compression and be working properly ?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
if they had in fact replaced the motor, they would not have left stuff in an oil pan. like stated it would likely have stayed on the old motor...if that really would have happened like that. if they had replaced it and reused a pan they would have seen it in the pan and not left it in there. u just got some weird sh!t going on in there. oh and this shoudl be over in gen 1 tundra and not the new truck's forum :)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Those are obviously rings....

From what I understand from your post....which is kinda challenging in it's own.... Is that I would find another mechanic....
:amen::first:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took a look at different rings.. Im thinking they aren't piston rings since compression is good.. Maybe oil rings.. they sure look like it now that im seeing the photo of oil rings.. but the truck doesn't smoke so im just unsure about it all

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Those are crankshaft thrust bearings.... and if they dropped out of your number 3 main bearing cap, you have some very big issues. Did your mechanic try to slide the crankshaft back and forth - maybe wiggle or pry against the crankshaft pulley? I'll bet it moves.

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
They could, or should I say have, spun and dropped out of main bearing cap #3 into the oil pan. You have damage... I'll speculate that maybe the rear main seal is leaking due to the crankshaft floating back and forth. The crank shaft and block may need replacement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They could, or should I say have, spun and dropped out of main bearing cap #3 into the oil pan. You have damage... I'll speculate that maybe the rear main seal is leaking due to the crankshaft floating back and forth. The crank shaft and block may need replacement.

Yes just replace the rear main seal ...and the tranny seal today.. so you are probably correct..Ill make sure he sees this forum.. thanks..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

What kind of money are we talking about ..???? Full overhaul or what? Just spent 4200 on new front rotors,calipars,rear drums shoes, rear main seal ,shocks ,tuneup ..etc. .so Im guessing this will be another 4000?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
If your compression is checking okay, I would guess those came off of your crank shaft. It is possible if they are thrust bearings your mechanic simply missed it. Even if they are, there are more than one in place along the shaft so you may not find any excessive play by wiggling the crank by hand. The others will prevent movement. You would simply have to get your face and an inspection mirror in there or yank your motor to flip it and check that way.

By the way, what did the leaky main seal look like? was it missing pieces?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts