Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

This is my first post (been following the forum for a year or so). I'm running a 2006 Limited Double-Cab 4x4 so I wanted to get some input from others on their tire experiences running the same or similar 1st Gen Tundra. Mine has a 2.5 leveling kit and 285 tires, but I want to take it down a bit. The current tires are LT 285/70R17 Tera Grapplers and surprisingly it rides pretty soft. Just not sure I'll enjoy the same "soft" ride going down in tire size with an LT tire.

I'm considering the Michelin LTX A/T2 and going one size up from stock (265/65R17) to 265/70R17. ...or the Cooper A/T3. My last Tundra was a day-cab (about 12" shorter wheelbase than the double-cab). It had Dunlap LT tires and it rode like a tank ... then again, the tires didn't squat when I loaded it either. :)

Also keep in mind that I'm considering removing the spacers and upgrading to Bilstein 5100 shocks for a smaller 1 -1.5" lift in the front instead of the current 2.5" . I don't mind that firm truck feeling, but I'm trying to avoid a ride so stiff that it's uncomfortable.

My truck is mostly a daily driver in the south east, but I do get off-road occasionally for farming, etc. I also plan to travel up north during winter months and will likely see some snow and ice.

So,... here's what I'm thinking. Feel free to tell me your thoughts:
Michelin LT265/70R17
Bilstein 5100 (set to 2nd or 3rd setting for 1 - 1.5" lift)

My question is,.. with this setup, will the Bilstein shocks make the LT tires feel more stiff, or will it handle better and absorb some of the tire stiffness of the LT tire? Also, if you're running either tire mentioned above, feel free to let me know how that's working for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
ive got LT285/75/16 Load D range terra grapplers and my truck with the 5100 set at 3rd notch and it still rides pretty nice. the stiffness you feel will come a lot from the stock shocks bottoming out due to the range with the spacer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck rides pretty soft right now with LT285/70R17 Terra Grapplers, ...however, I'm curious how that will change with a smaller tire like the Michelin LT265/70R17 LTX A/T2. Albeit, they're both "LT" tires, but my current 285's are mounted to stock 7.5 wheel which seems to give it a little "sway/softness" that might go away with a more narrow tire like the 265 when mounted to the same 7.5 wheel.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm not sure but I know Michelins have a tread that gets hard as time goes on and that's why they last forever

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free Appi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I had the Michelin LT's mounted today and took it for a 50 mile road trip to test them out. We traveled interstate highways, and back country rough roads (dry weather) to see how they handled. Here's what I found....

When we first drove back home, we had 200lbs in the bed (the old tires) for weight and it rode pretty smooth and quiet. When we unloaded the tires from the bed, the ride got pretty stiff. I was surprized that so little weight made such a big difference in the ride.

On Interstate 40 here in TN, the roads are in good shape. Cearly, with an LT tire, you're going to feel breaks in the concrete and bridges more than with a P-metric tire. That part was expected.

But when the Michelin showed its ugly head was on the back curvey, bumpy roads. I felt like the truck was "working" me. When we got home, I felt tired from driving. This is not what I expected after driving it 400 miles on the old tires (also LT rated) and it was soft and pleasant riding.

So,.. I'm going back tomorrow to have the "P-Metric" mounted and remove these LT's. I really need more than a P, but not quite the overkill of an LT (E) tire. I've seen some guys running the Cooper AT3 (C-Rating) and they speak highly of them. I've always been a Michelin guy, but I might have to give Cooper and try if this doesn't pan out.

Michelin LTX A/T2 LT265/70R17
44psi
Weather: Sunny
outside Temp: 92
Loaded = 1 passenger

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a set of P-metric Michelin LTX AT2's for my 2013 Tundra Tuesday of this week (275/65-R18). They replaced the BFG T/A's that came on the truck which I never liked (also P's).

The Michelin P's provide a better ride than the T/A's, although they "sing" just a little with the windows down. When I left the tire store they rode pretty hard but discovered they had left them at 38 PSI. At the door-jamb spec of 30 front and 33 rear, they ride much better better.

Michelin website doesn't seem to have a weight/inflation table for these, but they did give me 3 reference points:2260 lbs at 26 psi, 2381lbs at 29psi, and 2505lbs at 32psi

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I bought a set of P-metric Michelin LTX AT2's for my 2013 Tundra Tuesday of this week (275/65-R18). They replaced the BFG T/A's that came on the truck which I never liked (also P's).

The Michelin P's provide a better ride than the T/A's, although they "sing" just a little with the windows down. When I left the tire store they rode pretty hard but discovered they had left them at 38 PSI. At the door-jamb spec of 30 front and 33 rear, they ride much better better.

Michelin website doesn't seem to have a weight/inflation table for these, but they did give me 3 reference points:2260 lbs at 26 psi, 2381lbs at 29psi, and 2505lbs at 32psi
i would chalk test the tires to be sure of even wear and best fuel economy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts