Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I put $500 down and I ordered a new 2007 Tundra-the deal being dependent on the truck getting here by May 15th. We could'nt find one with our specs from a local dealer and dealer we picked was one of 2 that both promised they could get us the truck by May 15th. Unfortunately,the dealer we made the deal with,now this week says "they are still looking for our truck", "they are talking to another dealer-but he has'nt gotten back to them yet", "that their sales manager would call or email me back(he did'nt)",and finally yesterday "the other dealer did'nt get back to us". So this is the 7th day since we ordered the Tundra, and I've recieved nothing on paper that this truck has been ordered,what all options are on it so I can be sure that no mistakes were made in the ordering process,or evidence that anything at all has happened-though I've asked a couple of timesfor something in balck and white. Should'nt I get some piece of paper that shows what I'm getting or a checklist that confirms what I've ordered. And from the vaugue things they are saying...are they even ordering it from the factory or doing some kind of end run to save themselves more money? It all seems very bizarre...I get vague answers that make me feel like somethings not on the up and up. The other dealer-a larger one and seems more open and trustworthy, but alot further away re:service,still says they could get me the truck I want by May 15th...but I'd have to make a deal in the next day or 2. Can anyone help me? With the first dealer -is this the way ordering a new Tundra goes these days? What is the normal process supposed to be like? Would I have grounds to ask for my $500 back from the original dealer I dealt with since it looks and feels like I'm getting the-run-a-round. And how can I know that the 2nd dealer is going to get the truck by the time he promises? Anyone have any other ideas what I should do(we really want our truck by May 15th with certain options)I never thought spending $30,000 could be so frustrating.... Thanks...Dacat:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same thing happen. My first dealer was just hoping a truck would show up, or that they could find one to trade for. I got lots of vague promises.

I found another dealer who had the truck coming in 04/23, and I bought from him, although I paid an addl. $500.00.

My thoughts are that if they don't have the truck to give to me, they can quote a low price. The dealer that has the truck can make a "real" deal.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I had the same thing happen. My first dealer was just hoping a truck would show up, or that they could find one to trade for. I got lots of vague promises.

I found another dealer who had the truck coming in 04/23, and I bought from him, although I paid an addl. $500.00.

My thoughts are that if they don't have the truck to give to me, they can quote a low price. The dealer that has the truck can make a "real" deal.
This post is genius

Anyone can quote a price on a truck they dont have. Wow. this one made my day. Thank you.

To answer the question. If you are trying to get a truck, ask to see what their inbound truck allocation looks like. If you dont see what you want, chances are that it is going to take some effort to get you the one you want. Espcially if you want a 5.7L 4x4

And yes, I would get my money back if I was you. They should have a new allocation next week, If they dont have a truck for you, go on to the next guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SFTundraMan...Do you think that there is much chance that they will give me my money back and what do you suggest I say to them in order to get my money back?I really appreciate it! Thanks...DAcat :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Reality Bites

Gang, reality is sometimes imperfect.

If I were the salesman, sales manager, or even the Director of Fleet and Internet (ok ok well, I am the last one) ... no one would have to power to make a truck happen SOLO. It takes a build processor and inventory assessment process to determine when all of the parts required to build your truck will be in the same place at the same time. It takes a production line, a region, a railcar schedule, a trucker, and a bazillion other people to get the trucks to us.

Toyota's problem right now? They semi-underestimated the demand for the 5.7 liter motors at a time they are well aware that fuel pricing's at 3++ bucks a gallon or MORE. And, the EPA's estimate of the fuel economy at such a close proximity to the 4.7 did them in for good. I mean, seriously... who really believes the 4.7 and the 5.7 fuel economy is REALLY that close anywhere other than the freeway @ 60 mph downhill. :rolleyes:

In response to the "my dealer isn't working hard enough..." I have a sincere and truly honest series of thoughts:

1. be flexible. One color inside, one color outside, one set of options with no flexibility sure narrows the field for you. You = your dealer at that point, because you are the author of your own misery/wait.

2. be willing to wait. If you want what you want and you are not employing little elves to go out back and start constructing it, then chill. I personally have had it up to HERE with folks who want some sort of "status" when I constantly remind them that WHEN I know something, I'll relay the update or news to them. I mean, hell -- why would I keep it a secret? How would that serve me? My buyers need to get prepared, sell trades, get financing arranged or get ready and clean their garages! Why would I keep it a secret that I have news on someone's truck? THINK about this -- what I am saying - before responding with something defensive. I can see no real explanation from my point of view.

3. A custom order means a LONGER wait. I have yet to go anywhere and want something built custom for me, ie. have a production line stop on my behalf and crank out something that is not typical or built anywhere -- and feel justified or "right" in demanding a vehicle right now. And, frankly, even a month from now. Even a sofa can be 6-8 weeks. THINK!

Anyway, I have had three of the many CrewMax trucks ordered be accepted and the folks waiting have been notified. I'm doing this by date. And, some trucks ordered earleir than others are models that are simply not being accepted. The only common thread that I see is that the plant is Princeton... but that may be coincidence. It's always going to be about production week and options chosen.

OK... I have HOPEFULLY been the voice of reason. You know, it sure takes everyone, regions, production folks etc a few months to figure out what the public is wanting. You have to see them/us also as human and allow us to figure out what to build based on what's being sold quickly, and what is not. :) Rome was not built in a day!

Dianne

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
SFTundraMan...Do you think that there is much chance that they will give me my money back and what do you suggest I say to them in order to get my money back?I really appreciate it! Thanks...DAcat :D
I would be as simple as give me my money back since you have not been able to provide me the service that you promised

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All dealers- I hope that you please read this !!! My bad luck with this dealer continues. When I call him to talk to him,he does'nt return my calls,always has an excuse.After reading Dianes and other's posts re: ordering new Tundras, I then started sosing hope that we'd get the one we wanted by our deadline date-so I thought I might become more flexible after Diane's comments...so I write him an email discussing other options we might look at that could get us a truck by our deadline date-but when he still did'nt call, and a couple days later I got a vague Email that said they were still waiting to here more and he'd get back to me tomorrow. But he didn't get back to me...I called and emailed him to no avail-the next day I got a brief apology "sorry I didn't get back to you-I had to take my mom to the hospital. I'll call you tomorrow." The next day came (friday) and he didn't call then either,nor did he respond when I called him(he was supposedly with a customer friday each of the 4 times I called but they took a message and said he'd call back asap-never happened. The next day I get an Email saying he's sorry he did'nt call but the was "sick" yesterday(in spite of his secretary telling me he was with a customer) ,he's working on getting the truck. So finally on Saturday I ask for my $500 back unless they can show me something on paper that they've actually ordered this truck,or will call me so we can look at other options...again-not so much as a call or an email from my dealer or anyone at the dealership. I just can't believe anyone would try and run a business this way. So if they won't talk to me, or return emails-what do I have to do-take them to small claims court,write Toyota etc-or what...I'm really interested in what other dealers think and have to say about this...I appreciate your help (note -I have bought over 10 Toyotas in my life and this is my first negative experience)...Thanks...DAcat :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Reality Bites

I think you should just ask for your money back like SFtundraman said.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
there could be many valid reasons for not being able to get you the truck . BUT NOT REASON TO TREAT YOU SO POORLY. THEY DO NOT DESERVE YOUR BUSINESS. GET YOUR MONEY BACK

·
Registered
154 Posts
Last year My wife and I put down $3000 dollars on a brand new 06 Seqouia that was not on the lot. i waited a week and they could not locate any with the color I wanted so I want back and demanded our $3000 dollars back because services have not been rendered. They gave me a check ( very relunctedly) i might add. I drove up the interstate about 30 miles and found two trucks on the lot with the exact specs we wanted. Needless to say we bought right there and then. You need to demand yoyr money back dude its that simple. If the deal is not going right from now its only going to get worse. Get out while you can!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me about a week ago. I had been waiting since march 16th for my crewmax sr5.The dealer told me my build date was march26th well that date came and went with no vin#. I then proceeded to ask questions and all i recieved was the run around and they would not return my calls. I called another dealer about four hours away he didnt have the color i wanted but was very helpful to axplain to me about the toyota dealer daily.A place in which the dealer can track my order.He checked it and told me that my dealer had not even ordered my truck .When i say ordered i mean this truck was supposed to be alloted to this dealer. To make a long story short I told them they lied to me and I want my 500 dollars back.I found my truck on the internet at a dealer 3 and a half hours away.When i got there it took me 45 minutes and i was out the door I guess I had to live and learn and so will my local dealer because he will never see me again!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I always thought that deposits were refundable? The idea of putting down a deposit is a pretty good indicator that the buyer is serious about the vehicle. However, if the dealer is dragging their feet and NOT communicating with you, then I think you have every right to march back in there and have them refund your money and have no fear of explaining why.

True, as customers, we may not know every detail about the "building" process and how it works, but that is why we rely on the dealer...for information. Afterall, it is his/her product.

If I special ordered a vehicle and was really excited, I'd probably contact my salesman on a regular basis too. He may be bugged by my anxiousness, but so what...buying a new car/truck is an exciting experience and he/she should realize that. I'm in sales (non-automotive) and love to please my customers. I would never allow one of my clients to think that they're "putting me out," no matter how annoying their questions or requests may seem.

This dealer obviously is guilty of poor customer service and as a consumer who is about to make a $30k + purchase, you have every right to demand your money back because you are not completely satisfied.

It cracks me up how the auto industry relies on those CSI scores for bonus purposes. A survey should be to evaluate your "total" sales experience and how they can improve in certain areas for the future.. I just purchased my new truck and loved the fleet mananger who rolled my deal, but the finance guy was a complete moron. However, if I don't mark "completely satisfied" on the survey, my sales guy gets in trouble or docked 10% of his gross pay, or however they do it now. It's ridiculous!! Of course, they'll get 100% because I don't want to screw my sales guy, but there were areas of my purchase where I wasn't 100% satisfied. I'm going to cringe when I mark "Excellent" for the questions about finance, but because of the way that goofy thing is set-up, I have no choice unless I want to take money out of my salesman's pocket. I'd never do that, but I think it's pathetic that I get letters and phone calls reminding me to give them 100%.

My point is ... you're already unhappy with the service and the last thing you need is them calling you everday until the survey arrives begging you to mark "Excellent" across the board, making you feel guilty that if you don't, someone won't get their bonus. It's total crap IMO. I've worked in customer service/sales all my working life and sure, I've had my moments, but it's not hard to be friendly and at least communicate with somebody.

I hope you get everything straightened out or find a new dealership who's hungry for your business. Sales isn't just about one sale, it's about building a relationship so people want to utilize your service(s) again and again.

SFTundraman is a great example of how there are still good honest people that work in the car biz. It's just too bad that he's the minority nowadays as dealers like the one your dealing with are the reason why consumers are so jaded when it comes to buying a new vehcile.

Good luck DaCat!!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
.He checked it and told me that my dealer had not even ordered my truck .When i say ordered i mean this truck was supposed to be alloted to this dealer.
Just fyi, the dealer that told you that they hadnt ordered the truck is full of it. There is no way for him to tell what trucks that the first dealer has incoming if they have already reserved it for you. I am not saying that the first dealer did his job but the second dealer seems like he was just trying to steal business. I have several vehicles on reserve status for incoming trucks and nobody else can see what I have. That is why we put them in reserve status so we dont get a 100 dealer trade calls for sold units.

Again, the poor communication should have cost dealer number 1 a sale but what dealer 2 said wasnt true either.

just my two cents

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input everyone. Just to keep you all posted-today I wrote my dealer again after discovering that my $500 deposit check was cashed 6 days ago. I simply asked him if he would be kind enough to let me know if he was going to return my $500, since I still have heard nothing back since he last apologized for not getting back to me because he was "sick" a few days ago(though according to the secretary busy with a customer each of the 4 times I called last Friday). Unfortunately,I work really late and by the time I'd drive there,they'd be closed...so I may have to wait to talk to them this weekend. That should be a real fun time...DAcat

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DAcat,

Here's a link to another thread where a guy had the same problem. A few members responded with, what appears to be, some good tips in getting your money back.

Hope this helps.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/pricing-and-dealers/95728-500-refund-issue-need-help/
I finally had to write my dealer the "nasty letter" a couple days ago. I've been very nice so far-but after politely asking for my $ several times and not hearing back so much as a word...I sent off an email copy of a long list of emails to my salesman that clearly showed the dealers and my position in perspective...and I simply said that I knew my rights and that I expected my $ returned in full within 10 days or I would contact my lawyer and the BBB, as well as contact the Govenor and Attorney Generals Office in our state...I also had a copy of the same letter sent to our salesman and the business manager by certified mail . Well,guess what-I got an Email the NEXT day by my salesman that I'd recieve my $ back. So take heart all of you who have been in similar situations. As I said before ...after buying over 10 Toyotas-Every purchase has been a good experience till this one...so I'm not blaming Toyota. Thanks every one for your help and input...DAcat :ts:

·
Registered
60 Posts
No one has asked me my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway :D

Here's how I purchase vehicles...

Note that there is NO deposit involved. In my opinion, there is no valid reason why they need a deposit to order your truck (I don't order wierd combinations of options). You get me the truck I want and I pay you for it before I drive it off the lot. Pretty simple.

(all via phone/fax/e-mail...I don't do this at the dealership)

- Call the dealership to establish a verbal relationship with some sales person.
- Treat this person like a human being (most of them are just that...and just trying to make a living)
- Ask for their fax number or an e-mail address where you can send them a written description of what you're looking for.
- Send them a list of specs and desired options. Clearly specify which items are REQUIREMENTS and which are "LIKE TO HAVES". I try to mark as many as possible as "LIKE TO HAVES" to increase their chance of finding a vehicle that I would accept. Be very specific. Include acceptable exterior/interior colors, etc.
- Fax them a copy of your credit report (mark through any personal info like SSN that they don't need to see). This shows them you are able to actually purchase the vehicle, and keeps them from needing to run a credit check which can damage your credit rating. It also helps assure them that they are not wasting time dealing with someone who may not be able to actually purchase the vehicle.
- Tell them, in writing, how much you are willing to pay. I usually say "$200 over invoice plus tax, and that's it." The price I'm willing to pay takes into consideration supply/demand of what I'm buying. No documentation fees. No prep fees. No tag or title (I do that on my own). I get all rebates or other customer incentives. They keep dealer incentives.
- Ask them to say "yes" or "no" to the price.
- If they accept your pricing requirement, ask them to begin looking for the vehicle immediately and to call you when they have found one that may meet your needs. When they find something you may want, say "yes" or "no" to the vehicle (before they actually get it transported to their lot). Eventually, they will find the right one. Be patient. A good dearler/sales person WANTS the sale as much as you want the truck (well...maybe not quite as much :D ), so I don't bug them much while they are looking. You can tell if they are aggressive or not by this point. If you don't think they are aggressively searching for the vehicle, get a different sales person or try a different dealer.

You may be surprised at how smoothly the transaction CAN go using this approach.

SUMMARY:

- Treat them with respect
- Communicate clearly and in writing showing the specs and price you are willing to pay.
- Be as flexible as you can
- Be as patient as you can (the hardest part :rolleyes: )
- Don't negotiate at the dealership...handle everything over the phone or via e-mail. Heck, I don't even really "negotiate" I specify the terms and they have the freedom to accept or reject my terms (my "terms" are always reasonable). I don't give them multiple opportunities. They have ONE chance to accept or reject. Very simple and clean. No stress for me or them.

Dianne and Cory (frequent contributors to this forum) are the kind of people I deal with. No nonsense. Helpful. Professional. I'm lucky to have some like them in Oklahoma!

OK. I'm off my soap-box :eek: . I hope this helps someone. If not, at least it satisfied my hidden desire to be an advice columnist :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
good advice...

...the only part I disagree with is the faxing of the credit report. No way would I do that or want anyone to do it. It still can make you vulnerable even with things crossed off and scratched out.:eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: good advice...

...the only part I disagree with is the faxing of the credit report. No way would I do that or want anyone to do it. It still can make you vulnerable even with things crossed off and scratched out.:eek:
Dianne...good advice.

I've dealt with my local dealer for many years and may have more confidence in them than I should have but it's never caused me a problem. It may depend on what region of the country you're in (I'm in the midwest). The one I give them doesn't have all that much info on it (even without some things scratched out), sort of a credit summary but does show my name and current credit score.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
No one has asked me my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway :D

Here's how I purchase vehicles...

Note that there is NO deposit involved. In my opinion, there is no valid reason why they need a deposit to order your truck (I don't order wierd combinations of options). You get me the truck I want and I pay you for it before I drive it off the lot. Pretty simple.

(all via phone/fax/e-mail...I don't do this at the dealership)

- Call the dealership to establish a verbal relationship with some sales person.
- Treat this person like a human being (most of them are just that...and just trying to make a living)
- Ask for their fax number or an e-mail address where you can send them a written description of what you're looking for.
- Send them a list of specs and desired options. Clearly specify which items are REQUIREMENTS and which are "LIKE TO HAVES". I try to mark as many as possible as "LIKE TO HAVES" to increase their chance of finding a vehicle that I would accept. Be very specific. Include acceptable exterior/interior colors, etc.
- Fax them a copy of your credit report (mark through any personal info like SSN that they don't need to see). This shows them you are able to actually purchase the vehicle, and keeps them from needing to run a credit check which can damage your credit rating. It also helps assure them that they are not wasting time dealing with someone who may not be able to actually purchase the vehicle.
- Tell them, in writing, how much you are willing to pay. I usually say "$200 over invoice plus tax, and that's it." The price I'm willing to pay takes into consideration supply/demand of what I'm buying. No documentation fees. No prep fees. No tag or title (I do that on my own). I get all rebates or other customer incentives. They keep dealer incentives.
- Ask them to say "yes" or "no" to the price.
- If they accept your pricing requirement, ask them to begin looking for the vehicle immediately and to call you when they have found one that may meet your needs. When they find something you may want, say "yes" or "no" to the vehicle (before they actually get it transported to their lot). Eventually, they will find the right one. Be patient. A good dearler/sales person WANTS the sale as much as you want the truck (well...maybe not quite as much :D ), so I don't bug them much while they are looking. You can tell if they are aggressive or not by this point. If you don't think they are aggressively searching for the vehicle, get a different sales person or try a different dealer.

You may be surprised at how smoothly the transaction CAN go using this approach.

SUMMARY:

- Treat them with respect
- Communicate clearly and in writing showing the specs and price you are willing to pay.
- Be as flexible as you can
- Be as patient as you can (the hardest part :rolleyes: )
- Don't negotiate at the dealership...handle everything over the phone or via e-mail. Heck, I don't even really "negotiate" I specify the terms and they have the freedom to accept or reject my terms (my "terms" are always reasonable). I don't give them multiple opportunities. They have ONE chance to accept or reject. Very simple and clean. No stress for me or them.

Dianne and Cory (frequent contributors to this forum) are the kind of people I deal with. No nonsense. Helpful. Professional. I'm lucky to have some like them in Oklahoma!

OK. I'm off my soap-box :eek: . I hope this helps someone. If not, at least it satisfied my hidden desire to be an advice columnist :D
thanks first of all and that is how I handle 95% of my transactions. I would do it all over the phone or email. No reason to come in until I have the truck. Especially if you have already driven the truck elsewhere. Good Post

1 - 20 of 24 Posts