Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, here we go again, M.A.D.ness at its best!:rolleyes: I've been thinking, and wanted some advice on an alternative to Back to Black products for my fender flares. I was thinking of painting them with Dupli-Color truck bed coating in a can, I have used this stuff on the window trim and the molding underneath the wipers and it has come out great.

One problem I do not want to experience is chipping or flaking. Has anyone painted their TRD flares before? Everytime I use Back to Black it looks good until it rains or I run thorough a pudle and the flares fade and look chalky, like this:

Any advice would be great. It's finally getting sunny and warm here which means mod season is here!!:D:tu: Thanks TS!!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I used the spray on bedliner stuff on my stock rear bumper plastics, and while it looked good when it was done it started peeling less than a month later. Granted I didn't prime the, but I cleaned them off with acetone and sanded them down a little bit.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Well the flares on my 02 trd limited are painted from the factory and they seem be holding up fine. How did you use the dupli color stuff on your window trim? The factory rubber coating is peeling and its driving me nuts.

hoki

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the spray on bedliner stuff on my stock rear bumper plastics, and while it looked good when it was done it started peeling less than a month later. Granted I didn't prime them, but I cleaned them off with acetone and sanded them down a little bit.
Thats what I'm afraid of. Maybe with some primer it would hold up better, like what you did with your grill. I wonder if plastic paint would work better? Thanks apimpdad.:tu:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the flares on my 02 trd limited are painted from the factory and they seem be holding up fine. How did you use the dupli color stuff on your window trim? The factory rubber coating is peeling and its driving me nuts.

hoki
Yeah I really wish mine were color matched like the limited's, I like that look alot more and its eaiser to polish and wax, then apply Back to Black.

For the window trim mine were peeling like you say, so I pop them off and removed the rubber trim using my fingers and a razor blade(Toyota uses good glue). Once all that stuff is off it will look like chrome which looks good just like that if your into chrome. I then sanded it like crazy and got it really rough, then sprayed it with five or so coats of the Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. Still holding up for about 2 month so far:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Thats what I'm afraid of. Maybe with some primer it would hold up better, like what you did with your grill. I wonder if plastic paint would work better? Thanks apimpdad.:tu:
BTW, my grill is peeling :D. But I didnt use the plastic paint, just regular krylon flat black tough gaurd or whatever it is called. Oh well, doesnt bother me much :tu:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to work in a plating factory and have seen a lot of people send their plastic flares in to get nickel plated and then powder coated them. I'm thinking about plating mine this summer (gotta love ex-employee discounts) and then trying to color match some powder coat the best I can. There are pros and cons to this. The pros are it wont peel if done right and last a while. The big con is that being a plated plastic, should something hit the flare hard enough you may chip the nickel and be stuck with the plastic showing until you strip it and re-plate.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Yeah I really wish mine were color matched like the limited's, I like that look alot more and its eaiser to polish and wax, then apply Back to Black.
Did you try a quote at a pro paint shop and ask for OEM (Red Pearl) and see what they say for price?

I have a set of TRD flares complete, painted in Red Pearl from my Limited, sitting in a spare room at home. I changed to the Ivan S flares so these became spare parts. Never thought about selling them, but, could be a back up option for ya.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi a few days ago, i seen a 05/06 double cab. the guy had fender flares.
the problem i saw, was he wanted them to look like it was part of the fender & bed.
so he filled it with bondo. than painted them, & blended them into the silver paint.
it looked horrible. although this isn't really what you wanted to do.
don't even think about it. it looked so sh%ty.
the issue i know is if removed you are suppose to use new backing.
i have no idea what that cost's.
whatever you choose to do, make sure the rest of the truck is covered,
so no over spray get on the rest of the tundra.
there was a member that got bannned, he was here from the beginning.
but i lost my passwords to that forum, & i can't get back on.
i have to look through all my notebooks for the passwords to ask,
but i think i still could do a search.
he might be in my friends. so if you join look up gorilla or gorilla1.
look at friends, & than look at my profile, it should show friends, maybe his tundra is there
if i remember now ,i think is was "tundraV8yamaha" i think that was his name here.
there is 2 forums IBTO & tundra geeks.
i think he did what you are talking about.
he is on another forum now.
he even removed the chrome peice on the bumper.
that is held on by going through the bumper, so there were holes.
he did i belive the front bumper, fender flares & maybe the rear bumper(not to sure about the rear).
if you get with him, i'm sure he would tell you how to do it correctly.
he was a GREAT asset to this forum, but for some reason, he got banned.
we lost so many great know it all members. many ASE toyota tech's too.
anyway, hope you find him, i will also try to find him, sadly he couldn't help you here.
so i highly suggest you look into those other forums.
for the infomation you seek.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
him, i wanted to paint mine.
just painting them while on the truck, which i didn't want,
due to over spray, was 175 each.
there all around that price my me, in south florida.
i wanted them to be sprayed off the truck,
but than i need the new backing seal.
gorilla

Did you try a quote at a pro paint shop and ask for OEM (Red Pearl) and see what they say for price?

I have a set of TRD flares complete, painted in Red Pearl from my Limited, sitting in a spare room at home. I changed to the Ivan S flares so these became spare parts. Never thought about selling them, but, could be a back up option for ya.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have thought about that option of getting them painted to match, but if you're willing I may be interested. PM sent.:tu:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I did the canister cover and rails for my tonneau cover with the dupli color bed liner last fall. So far it hasn't chipped or peeled. I used it to do my nerf bars last week. I don't know how it will hold up on the nerfs, but I'm only out $8. I think there was a thread on here where someone used it to paint their bed caps. Maybe you can find it and ask for an update.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Gorilla, I do remember that member, and from what I remember he had his bumpers, flares, and rocker panels lineX. That option is a little out of my budget and I agree when you remove the flares there is glue holding that little rubber molding on. If I do paint them I will leave them on the truck and cover the rest of the truck as much as possible, then after clay bar for peace of mind. I hate after I polish and wax this thing all I notice is how dull the flares look, its a magnet for my eyes!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the canister cover and rails for my tonneau cover with the dupli color bed liner last fall. So far it hasn't chipped or peeled. I used it to do my nerf bars last week. I don't know how it will hold up on the nerfs, but I'm only out $8. I think there was a thread on here where someone used it to paint their bed caps. Maybe you can find it and ask for an update.
Yes, I remember that thread and followed through with it. I forgot to mention that I also painted my bed rail caps with this Dupli-Color Bed Coating and has held up great so far. I guess I'm answering my question as we go.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
him, i wanted to paint mine.
just painting them while on the truck, which i didn't want,
due to over spray, was 175 each.
there all around that price my me, in south florida.
i wanted them to be sprayed off the truck,
but than i need the new backing seal.
gorilla
I am surprised with the price. $175 ea x 4 = $700. That is a crazy price, especially for being on the truck. No discounts in FL?

If I do paint them I will leave them on the truck and cover the rest of the truck as much as possible, then after clay bar for peace of mind. I hate after I polish and wax this thing all I notice is how dull the flares look, its a magnet for my eyes!
I may be more into the detail, but, I would NOT paint them on the truck. The best way, is to pull them and install nice and clean when done. You will like the finished product better, IMO.

I have thought about that option of getting them painted to match, but if you're willing I may be interested. PM sent.:tu:
I will check and respond to PM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts