Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Been a while since I have posted.

Frame rusted out at rear of front wheel wells where the frame bends in and up. I just don't want to junk the truck, wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Picture of the frame is the good side the inside collapsed when my mechanic put it on the lift.

Driving a 2016 DC Inferno now.

Thanks

IMG_3116.jpg
IMG_3114.jpg
IMG_3115.jpg
IMG_3117.jpg

·
Registered
03 limited ac 4x4
1 Posts
I’m pretty new to the tundra world, but I would assume there is a way to replace or at least reinforce the frame so it wouldn’t do that.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Damn, we should put the body on the frame of my truck.
My clear coat is almost all gone, but I have zero rust underneath.
That's the problem and benefit of living in the desert.
Your truck body looks great and something must be done underneath.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a beautiful recalled frame. Asking $200. It is totally stripped. I'm in Rhode Island.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zbrower1, Two frame guys, my mechanic and a body guy all said its not worth it. Needs some other work under there also. Dealership documented it as unsafe to drive.

tempetom, Yep a lot of salt here around Chicago

Datzen, Your making my Wife nervous

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
My guess is it boils down to how much time you have, how many tools you have, and how good you are with those tools. Thats one damn fine looking truck but if you dont have the time or the tools, like a lift too, then you might be better off to just pull the plug and sell it as is.
Now go get your 2016 rustproofed before it ends up like that one does.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello all,

Frame rusted out at rear of front wheel wells where the frame bends in and up. I just don't want to junk the truck, wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Picture of the frame is the good side the inside collapsed when my mechanic put it on the lift.

Thanks

View attachment 152167 View attachment 152168 View attachment 152169 View attachment 152170
I suggest you drive your truck into the service bay, get out and refuse to move it until you get written satisfaction to this issue

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks

View attachment 152167 View attachment 152168 View attachment 152169 View attachment 152170
Hello all,

Thanks

You truck is gorgeous. I have a 2004 that had the exact rust in the same place. Toyota knew about it for 5 years. I don't have my paperwork right now showing when it was done, but I got and entire new frame installed under my 2004 Tundra. FREE. They replaced the FRAME for FREE, and an entire brake caliper and control arm. FREE. I'm a very nice person, but when they tried to lie their way out of it, I looked at the service manager and told him "I'm and 800 lb. gorilla when someone tries to cheat me'. He found out when I set up the general manager with the owner, got some language in emails i received from them and then went to town. Since then, all of the Toyota Dearler's have had rusted frames piled in a heap behind the dealership. I'm talking 30 at one dealership in Fredericksburg, VA. I put a 4x8 sheet of plywood standing up lengthwise in the bed, and spray painted all kinds of stuff, tied it down properly and drove it in and around the dealership on a Saturday and then parked across the street for 3 hours. They called the cops. Cops came, I was polite. They said I could stay where i was, but they didn't want to have to come back a second time. I'm sure they are still playing the blame game on owners. I a construction contractor, so I called BS every time they started back up. I send an email to Toyota USA in California that was so nasty, but proper. I have never shown it to anyone since then. There going to tell you it's an 16 year old truck, and not their problem. If I was you, I'd walk into another dealer and ask the service manager ""when was the last time you changed out a frame on a 2004''. or How many 2004 frames have you ahd to replace. Make it sound like genereal converstaion, so he's not immedately on guard. I had my phone on record when i told the service manager i was a 800 lb. gorilla when i'm cheated. I got throught to the general manager by creating an email [email protected]. He called me to inform me that my truck was originally bougth in upstage New York, where they use a lot of salt. I turned that into Toyota General Managers states that Tundras are not fit to be used in half of the United States. I also sent it to the owner of the three toyota dealerships around Washington DC. Good Luck my friend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You truck is gorgeous. I have a 2004 that had the exact rust in the same place. Toyota knew about it for 5 years. I don't have my paperwork right now showing when it was done, but I got and entire new frame installed under my 2004 Tundra. FREE. They replaced the FRAME for FREE, and an entire brake caliper and control arm. FREE. I'm a very nice person, but when they tried to lie their way out of it, I looked at the service manager and told him "I'm and 800 lb. gorilla when someone tries to cheat me'. He found out when I set up the general manager with the owner, got some language in emails i received from them and then went to town. Since then, all of the Toyota Dearler's have had rusted frames piled in a heap behind the dealership. I'm talking 30 at one dealership in Fredericksburg, VA. I put a 4x8 sheet of plywood standing up lengthwise in the bed, and spray painted all kinds of stuff, tied it down properly and drove it in and around the dealership on a Saturday and then parked across the street for 3 hours. They called the cops. Cops came, I was polite. They said I could stay where i was, but they didn't want to have to come back a second time. I'm sure they are still playing the blame game on owners. I a construction contractor, so I called BS every time they started back up. I send an email to Toyota USA in California that was so nasty, but proper. I have never shown it to anyone since then. There going to tell you it's an 16 year old truck, and not their problem. If I was you, I'd walk into another dealer and ask the service manager ""when was the last time you changed out a frame on a 2004''. or How many 2004 frames have you ahd to replace. Make it sound like genereal converstaion, so he's not immedately on guard. I had my phone on record when i told the service manager i was a 800 lb. gorilla when i'm cheated. I got throught to the general manager by creating an email [email protected]. He called me to inform me that my truck was originally bougth in upstage New York, where they use a lot of salt. I turned that into Toyota General Managers states that Tundras are not fit to be used in half of the United States. I also sent it to the owner of the three toyota dealerships around Washington DC. Good Luck my friend.
Nice! I have a 2003 in F'burg. I need to visit that dealer as I was told nothign could be done.
Thank You!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts