Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my truck is in the shop getting it's '00 tranny swapped out for an '04. Is there any reason I should keep the '00 tranny? It was driving/shifting fine in all but the overdrive - which felt like driving over bad rumble strips on the highway. Even pulled my bass boat short distances with it (less than 50 miles). Or should I just let the shop do with it whatever they do with them? I guess my question is this - is an old, worn out, ready to implode tranny worth anything to anybody?

·
Registered
917 Posts
If the shop didn't have it in the back of my truck when I got there i wouldn't say a word. I think it would be more hassle than it is worth.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,144 Posts
Did you have to do anything to the '00 to make the '04 trans work in it?
Just curious.......:alien:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nope its a direct bolt in for 4x4, the 2wd model has to have the tailshaft housing swapped though.

As far as it being more hassel than its worth, Shoot if I lived close to him id take it, be worth atleast 15-25 at the recycling center lol

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nope its a direct bolt in for 4x4, the 2wd model has to have the tailshaft housing swapped though.

As far as it being more hassel than its worth, Shoot if I lived close to him id take it, be worth atleast 15-25 at the recycling center lol
LMAO sounds like a truck bed full of ATF to me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
In most cases the old tranny is shipped back to the place they got the new tranny from as a core, and i'm sure the core charge isn't cheap. But if you got a junk yard trans then i guess you can do whatever you want with it. Ever wonder what's inside a tranny, well here's your chance to find out. Or you could sell it to a company that rebuilds tranny's which should be more than scrapping her. Another option is what i did back when i was younger and had a lot of parts kicking around cause i tore my brother's car apart since he blew the engine and i wanted to learn mechanics, is to gut it and make a lamp out of it. I gutted a Chevy TH350, painted it and wired it up to make a very interesting lamp for my room. Went good with the crank-shaft lamp i had also.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats funny, I've seen a tranny made into an ashtray stand before - but never a lamp. Yeah, I bought the tranny from LKQ and had it shipped to the shop, so I guess I could get it back if I wanted it. I think I'm just going to not say anything and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
See if a local Toyota dealer will give you anything for it. My dealer had a $1000 core charge on those trannys.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yhea its a 1000 core charge if you dont send it back in their nice box, or if you send back one that cant be rebuilt, then you pay 1000 bucks for it lol. Now if you try to sell them one its probably worth about 150-200 lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts